Kitty Litter Cake: Gross Halloween Party Food

Kitty Litter Cake - gross Halloween party food

The kitty litter cake has been around for quite a few years. I made one 7 years ago when my daughter was in 5th grade and hosted a Halloween party. Now she’s a senior in high school and asked me to make the cake again, only this time she was having a group of friends over for a bon fire. So if you want some gross Halloween party food, the kitty litter cake is always a hit! Only the bravest will actually try it, but those that do will giggle, laugh and then say “mmm!”.

So for those of you who have never eaten or made a kitty litter cake it’s basically just cake mix, pudding, cookies and Tootsie Rolls. Let’s get started shall we?

Kitty Litter Cake - gross Halloween party foodOne of the main reasons this cake looks so real is due to the small amount of cookie crumbs that you will color with a little bit of green food coloring. This makes it look like the green chloraphyll in cat litter.

Kitty Litter Cake - gross Halloween party foodThe cake itself is made up of two separate baked cake mixes, a chocolate and a white or yellow, crumbled up. Then there’s the entire package of vanilla sandwich cookies you’ll crush up too.

Kitty Litter Cake - gross Halloween party foodIn a brand new kitty litter pan, you take the two cakes, half of the cookie crumbs, and then you’ll add a package of prepared pudding. Vanilla is the norm, but I used pistachio. Once it’s mixed up, you heat some Tootsie Rolls in the microwave to soften them and stretch them out to look like turds. Yum.

Kitty Litter Cake - gross Halloween party foodThen sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top, then finish with the green crumbs. Add a few more turds and you’re done! have fun and Happy Halloween!

Kitty Litter Cake

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 chocolate cake mix
  • 1 white or yellow cake mix
  • 1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix (I used pistachio)
  • 1 package vanilla sandwich cookies
  • Green food coloring
  • 12-15 small Tootsie Rolls
  • 1 new kitty litter pan
  • 1 new Pooper Scooper

Instructions

1. Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans but 13×9 is easiest). Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble. Crumble sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about ¼ cup. To the ¼ cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix using fingers until an even green color.
  2. When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into the new litter box. Toss with half the remaining cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it.
  3. You don’t want it soggy. Combine gently.
  4. Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls and bury in mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top.
  5. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly over the top. (This is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.) Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Serve with new popper scooper.

Kitty Litter Cake - gross Halloween party food

38 Responses to Kitty Litter Cake: Gross Halloween Party Food

Jessica says:

lol that is so gross. Perfect for Halloween :P

gail says:

ewwww, the litter pan and the scooper make it totally gross!!!

lol
    gail

Avril says:

Happy Halloween Amanda! A great cake for this holiday indeed….I bet you your daughter’s friends are going to absolutely LOVE this cake!

Ann says:

Perfectly gross! I don’t know if I could over-look it! Brilliant!

Yeah, you really should clean out that cat litter box! ;)

Sue says:

So realistic! I don’t know if I could eat it…maybe with my eyes closed:) HAPPY HALLOWEEN, Amanda!

looks so weird, kept hearing about this idea but had no idea what it looked like. My kids would LOVE this!

MaryBeth says:

I have not made one of these since my kids were little…they are always so much fun!

Jay says:

Oh gosh, I made a kitty litter cake when my now grown children were youngsters. The only difference being my litter cake had darker “litter” but all in all not much difference.
    I doubt I could make one nowadays though. Seems the tummy get overly sensitive as one ages!

I can attest your litter cake looks just like the real thing. Which means, in my youngest grandson’s own words upon eyeing your photo, Ewww, gross! Why are you looking at a cat box? What? It’s a cake? No way!! Really? Sweeeeeet! That’s soooooo totally cool!!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN AMANDA!! :-)

Sharon Field says:

Absolutely THE grossest halloween cake i’ve ever seen… ugh!! Bet the teens and tweens love it!

Karen B says:

Sooooo grossly neat!!! When I made this, it was a “LITTLE” difficult to get anyone to eat it….Can’t imagine why; I used a brand new litter pan and scoop LOL

Raso says:

Great recipe, I really must say. Happy halloween to you Amanda and rest of bloggers.

Cheers.

Robyn says:

OMG! This is soooo funny. of course I have cats and wouldn’t dare to eat it myself!

I have made this for years. I made it last thanksgiving for my mom. It looks a bit gross but if you use a regular pan to serve it in its not as gross looking. I will be the 1st to say ITS REALLY GOOD.

I believe this will gross out jsut about anyone who sees this cake!

Sharon Burnside says:

Thanks so-o-o-o much, been looking for this recipe for a long time! Can’t wait to try it out!!! :)

shirley hughes says:

we had this at a halloween party, but nobody would eat it because it looked so real.

june says:

I saw this once but you would have to use the word turds,got a laugh this morning I saw this and really didn’t feel like eating but good idea for kids show it to teens later.lol hilarious.love it

Doug says:

I loved this cake but it seemed to really confuse my cats!!!!!!!! lolz

MMH says:

We used this for the “Creepy Cake” Contest at work (http://blog.firstaidmart.com/kitty-litter-cake/) and WON. Once you get over the look, it taste really great – moist, too (we added the leftover pudding as a layer in the middle drizzled over with melted dark chocolate, too)

Brilliant! I would love to serve that one up one day. Just imagine people´s feces, erm *faces*, I mean! LOL

Laura says:

I have actually seen online a much simpler way of making the kitty litter dessert. Simply make a batch of brownies (from a mix is fine), and use your hands after they cool to make the “poop” shapes. Then fill your box or pan with either chopped nuts or crushed cookies of the right color for the “litter.”

• 23.1

Yes, I’ve seen that one too. Wouldn’t be as good to eat though. Just cookie crumbs and brownies. The cake in this recipe has pudding, making it moist. But not a lot of people eat it anyway, so either way works haha!

Ms MARY FAY DOYLE says:

Hi Amanda, I am new here but I found your Kitty Litter Cake. It don’t necessarily have to be for Halloween. It could be for someone who loves cats (like my daughter), April Fools, joke for someone’s birthday. Oh there’s probably several different days you could use it on. But needless to say that is one pan the kitties don’t get because it goes in the cabinet with the other cake pans for the next time. :)

EDWARD ROOSA says:

I HAVE NEVER SEEN GREEN CAT LITTER BEFORE. I’VE SEEN WHITE, PAPER CAT LITTER, WHITE WITH BLUE SPECKES. HOPE UR HALLOWEEN PARTY IS THE CATS MEOW.

[…] Kitty Litter Cake from Amanda’s […]

alison says:

Dont leave cake around cause cat could use it for real lol

Tonja Hustin says:

I made this MANY years ago for my daughter’s Girl Scout Holloween Party. None of the girls would touch it, including my daughter. I served the “litter” in a new litter pan and a new scooper. Finally, about 30 minutes before the party was over, one brave mother took a scoop. She asked for the recipe! I took none home. I used a spice cake mix and a white cake mix along with Tootsie Rolls and melted carmels. The carmels melted out into puddles. They looked like diarrhea.

Clarissa Montalbo says:

Oh my goodness I sooooo am going to make this for my family for Halloween they are going to FLIP! HAHA I made a meat pie and I never cook for my family so they thought it was going to be disgusting and maybe burnt, but it came out perfect!! And so crisp, everyone ate it all and felt very ashamed because they were making fun of me when I was making it. So their going to definitely make some strange comments this time when I make this cat litter cake for them!!! Thanks so much for this recipe Amanda!