The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever

Yeah, yeah, I know! Everyone has a recipe that they say is the best ever. Well, this one is mine. This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe of all time. I’ve made lots of different chocolate chip cookie recipes, but this one, in my opinion is the bestest of the best. They bake up soft and chewy and they stay that way. They freeze well and they keep well. What more could you ask for?

I’ve literally made hundreds of cookies using this recipe. It’s an adaptation, just like any other chocolate chip cookie recipe out there. I’ve played around with different sugars, omitting and including baking powder, butter vs. shortening, etc, etc. Once I settled on this one we were hooked. I always have bags of these in the freezer. The kids know how to pull out a few and pop them in the oven. I make a big batch early in the week, wrap them individually and store them in the fridge to place in lunches each day.

I’ve used chocolate chips, mint chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chunks, among others. I’ve substituted some of the flour with cocoa to make a chocolate version and that works rather nicely too.

I’ve made these and sold them at my daughter’s high school soccer games. One mom asked me how I get them so round. I use an ice cream scoop to measure out the dough, and I roll them in my hands before slightly flattening them. They bake into the lovely circles or Heaven you see here.

So without further ado, here is my all time favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Following the cookie recipe is my recipe for homemade vanilla pudding mix. I make a big batch of this and keep it in the pantry. I use it in any recipe that calls for vanilla pudding mix to be added in. This is also used in my cookies, but you can easily substitute Jello pudding mix if you prefer.

I’ve also included instructions for freezing these babies so you can have some on hand whenever you feel like it. And finally, this recipe makes 31 jumbo cookies or 48-60 regular sized cookies, depending on your cookie scoop.

TIP: This is important, probably the biggest misconception in baking in my opinion. Softened butter does NOT mean the butter should be soft. Softened butter is butter that has been removed from the fridge and allowed to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Enough to take the chill off. If you kitchen is hot because it’s the middle of summer and you refuse to turn on the A/C, then cut that back to about 15-20. Of course, if you kitchen is that dag-gum hot I don’t know why you would want to bake chocolate chip cookies anyway! :-P

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (see important note above)
1/2 cup butter flavored or regular shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Amanda’s homemade pudding mix (recipe below)
OR 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 package semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a mixer bowl outfitted with paddle attachment, beat together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and sugar on low until bound together, then on medium-high until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla, continue beating, then add one egg. Beat until combined, then add the other egg and beat until fluffy.

In a large bowl, stir or whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pudding mix. Turn mixer to low and gradually mix the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture until well blended.

Use a spoon or sturdy rubber spatula to stir in chocolate chips.

For regular sized cookies:
Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in a preheated oven for 8-11 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven; allow cookies to cool 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing them to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 48-60 cookies.

For jumbo cookies (4″ cookies):
Use an ice cream scoop to measure out dough. Roll dough ball in hands and flatten gently with fingers. Place 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in a preheated oven for 11-13 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven; allow cookies to cool 7-8 minutes on baking sheets before removing them to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 31 jumbo cookies.

Amanda’s Homemade Vanilla Pudding Mix
makes 8 cups of mix

3 cups instant nonfat dry milk
4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups cornstarch

Combine dry milk, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a food processor and process until uniform. You may need to do this in 2-3 batches. Store mix in airtight canister or a closely covered jar.

To prepare pudding: Stir the mix in the canister before measuring out 1/2 cup mix into a pan. Add 2 cups milk AND 1 teaspoon of vanilla and cook over low heat, stirring until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue stirring for 1 minute, remove from heat and pour into individual serving dishes. Pudding will thicken further as it cools.

To freeze cookie dough:
Prepare cookie dough as directed in recipe. Measure out cookies as indicated above, but instead of placing them 2″ apart on cookie sheets, do the following. Place unbaked cookie discs on a wax paper lined cookie sheet, placing the cookies as close together as you can without them touching. Place the filled cookie sheet into the freezer and “flash freeze” for 2-3 hours. (Flash freezing allows the food to become frozen as individual pieces. This way when they are placed together in a bag they will not stick to each other in a bog blob.) Remove the frozen cookies from the cookie sheets and place them into a freezer bag.

To bake, preheat oven to 350 F, place frozen cookies onto cookie sheet and bake 11-14 minutes. You can allow the cookies to thaw on the sheet first if you like; then bake according to the original recipe instructions.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

43 Responses to The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever

Gloria says:

Amanda these cookies look delicious! I love made in home cookies! gloria

Randa Clay says:

Thank you for clarifying the softened butter thing and for the vanilla pudding mix recipe! I've made a similar recipe with pudding mix and it is the secret ingredient I think.

Barbara | Creative Culinary says:

I make a cake at Christmas time that has pudding in the mix but I've never used it with cookies. However, I'm forever on the search for the best chocolate chip cookie and this is one ingredient I've not tried so think these are calling my name!

Nichol says:

Yum they sound amazing. I have a favorite as well but never thought about adding pudding..I'm gonna try this!

Jen says:

Hi Amanda,
    Here I am again asking a question to try and use your recipe in Australia. I can't get shortening. Would you then say I should use all butter or maybe a margarine/butter mixture. The closest I can get to shortening is copha which is a hardened coconut oil. Quote from Wikipedia

Copha, a registered trademark of Peerless, is a form of vegetable fat shortening made from hydrogenated coconut oil. It is 100% fat, at least 98% of which is saturated. It also contains Soya Bean Lecithin. It is popular in Australia where it is used in many foods for children, such as chocolate crackles, made from Rice Bubbles, copha, and cocoa powder, can also be used to make Rocky Road
    Copha is produced only in Australia, It is a necessary ingredient in traditional Australian treats such as Chocolate Crackles and White Christmas, and a "chocolate coating" on baked goods that amounts to a rather waxy form of compound chocolate.

I don't like that it is 98% saturated fat and has to be melted. So not sure that would work for the cookies.

When I have used other recipes that called for shortening I just use marg.

Hi Jen! I have used butter in place of shortening, but I purposely used half shortening and half butter in this recipe because it produces a better texture. i have read that substituting margarine for shortening works well, I haven't tried it with this recipe myself. I would be very interested in hearing your results if you try it!

Keep in mind your cookie dough should not be sticky. It should have bind together well (not too dry) and should not stick too your fingers (too wet). So with that in mind, you may want to follow the recipe, substitute margarine for the shortening, then add small amounts of flour at the end if it's too sticky.

Good luck!

Um, yum! I was going to mention how nice and round they are. I use a cookie scoop, too, but some recipes still make what I call amoeba shaped cookies and it drives me nuts.
    You know I'll have to try these, Sista. I have a new favorite butter substitute–Bestlife Butter, I just might try those. (They are more "healthy", endorsed by Bob Harper.) I've really liked them in the things I've baked with them so far.
    The cookies do look great!

Maureen says:

The pudding mix is clever. We don't have pudding mix in Australia like you have in the states. Now I can make this and pretend I'm back home. :)

I'll definitely be making these soon. They look delicious.

Those cookies do look amazing Amanda. I am going to give them a try soon!

Calogero Mira says:

They seem very crunchy. http://calogeromirafoodand.wordpress.com

Meaghan Luby says:

wow, i love your pudding mix! what a great trick! thanks for sharing! i adore this :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

@Calogero Mira – quite the contrary! They are soft and chewy and they stay that way :)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper says:

I've never made cookies using pudding mix. Makes great sense! Wish I had a few of those frozen cookie dough circles in my freezer right now.

emily @ the happy home says:

i'm coming over from funky junk interiors– these look SO good! i need a sweet this weekend, and i think this is it.

marla says:

Amanda if you say these are the best, then I trust you! Wish I had right now :)

Jen says:

Well Amanda, I bought the ingredients and made the cookies. My only problem was that they seemed to spread a lot and in the end came out rather thin and crisp. I made the jumbo size. Must say I have never made such large cookies! Yours look so lumpy but mine didn't have that effect at all. I wonder if using all butter made them too crisp or a tad overbaked maybe. I would put a photo but don't seem to be able to do that with a comment.

Will try again another day.I have no one to help me eat them so mustn't make them too often.

Maria says:

I need to try this recipe! You know I am a cookie fanatic!

MaryBeth says:

This does seem to be the best recipe ever….I love chocolate ship cookies!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 says:

LOL! I love the definition and "judgement" regarding softened butter. Now I know why some of my cookies turn out and some don't!

Hello, I was wondering what would happen if you used ALL butter & no shortening. I just made these today… they were great.. but I dont like to use shortening. WOuld all butter have an impact on the recipe

Amanda N

Hi Amanda – yes, as stated in a previous comment, using all butter introduces a higher water content thus you will end up with a cooke that spreads more, may be thinner and possibly even crispy. Glad you enjoyed them as is! My theory on shortening is as long as you only partake is small indulgences it can't be that bad. There are 31 jumbo cookies in a batch that includes 1/2 cup of shortening. That's equivalent to about 1 1/2 teaspoons of shortening per jumbo cookie. :)

Sadaf says:

very good recipe thanks for sharing

Now I want chocolate chip cookies!

Katherine says:

Vanilla pudding in chocolate chip cookies? Brilliant! No wonder they come out so soft and chewy. Can't wait to try.

gatesofgrace says:

I have been making this recipe for YEARS! And I agree, they are the best.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

When you say stuff like best ever, you're just setting me up aren't you? I'm gonna have to try this as soon as I get my hands on some chocolate chips. Yum!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son says:

Ohhhhh, I would love these cookies. They are giant!

I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/05/26/lemon-chocolate-cupcakes/

Nicole Feliciano says:

Who doesn't love a classic like this! I found you from the Tidy Mom linky. I hope you'll swing by Momtrends and share this on our linky too:

Amber says:

Hi there,
    Made a batch of these with white chocolate chips and used golden brown sugar so they came out a little darker and were fluffier than yours, but I just pressed them down with my rubber spatula and they turned out very good and sweet! I bet they'll be even better with the chocolate chunk pieces, and this recipe definately makes alot of cookies, now I just need to make them using the jumbo scoop. Thanks for such a great recipe. I also used your maple icing glaze on a simple donut recipe I have and they came out delicious. The kids have definately been spoiled this week!

Laree says:

You are a miracle worker. I've been trying to make a really great chocolate chip cookie for years now. I've tried so many different recipes, but they've never worked out for me. (I've even tried pudding ones before!)

Thank you for your very clear instructions to make them EXACTLY like you do. From the details on butter to the steps for shaping, it made a huge difference. (and figuring out that I always have to add more flour to make the right constancy helps too!)

I just blogged about your brilliance.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

Hey Amber – white chocolate chips sounds fabulous! So glad you enjoyed this and they came out great!

Laree – how awesome, what great feedback, thank you! Going to check out your post :)

Loy says:

I am a new blogger and am coming over from I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom. I love cookies and recently made 21 dozen for our church. I thought I had a pretty good chocolate chip cookie and have made the recipe with pudding that originally came from Jello. Yours looks so delicious, I am going to make them soon. I am all about making DIY groceries and love that you have developed a homemade pudding mix. I have subscribed to your blog.

Hi Loy, thanks for your kind words! I actually have never made the pudding CCC recipe from Jello. I tried one I found on the internet, so it may have been the one. I used a basic ccc recipe, changed the sugar quantities around, added baking powder, adjusted the butter/shortening quantities and added my pudding mix. Hope you like them!

Elle says:

These look amazing! I never knew that about the butter. Very interesting, thanks for the tip!

Loy says:

Hi Amanda, I am back to let you know that I did make the cookies along with your homemade pudding mix. They were for my grandson's high school graduation last Sat. Being male, I was sure he did not want flowers like we had done for the granddaughters. His favorite cookies are chocolate chip so I made up a batch of these, divided the dough into fourths and pressed each into a disposable round cake pan. Baked them about 18 minutes. There was one BIG
    cookie for each member of his family. Big Hit!
    Thanks for a great recipe.

So glad they were enjoyed Loy, thank you!

I just made these cookies. They turned out fabulous! Soft and chewy but also slightly crunchy on the outside. I used both semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips becuase I like milk chocolate. I also added a bit more salt (also using kosher) to offset the ultra sweet pudding mix. I froze the dough first for about half an hour and between each tray. It gave the cookies that great chewy/crunchy combo texture thing. Great post!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ says:

THis post is bookmarked ever since u published it and it excites me whenever i hop by here.
    Have been reading the comments and it looks like this cookie can be made crunchy , which i love , with a little more baking !
    And ur pudding mix is great , cornstarch is good for a crispier cookie!
    Must try and blog , if i had been paired here , i think this is the cookie i would bring to the SRC hop :-)))
    Sunshine day!

[...] recipe I wanted to try. I had featured the recipe back in May on one of my recipe round ups. The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever from Amanda’s [...]

Sarah E. says:

Oh my! Those look absolutely amazing! I love that you including freezing directions too :)

Stopping by from the Cookie Party!

[...] loved the concept of the stacked cookie dough, but since I already have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, I decided to get my inspiration from her idea and use my own recipe [...]

[…] recipe I wanted to try. I had featured the recipe back in May on one of my recipe round ups. The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever from Amanda’s […]

[…] amandascookin.com via tiamimi on […]