TWD: Rewind: World Peace Cookies

For Tuesdays with Dorie we’ve baked out of order for the month of November. I’ve made 3 of the 4 picks, but alas, I will not be posting the Chocolate Caramel Chestnut Cake chosen by Katya of Second Dinner. I’m sorry Katya, but with the rush of Thanksgiving, work I have to complete before heading out of town, and the cost of some of the difficult to find ingredients for this one, it will end up being a rewind for me some time in the future. It looks delicious and I will try it. Dear readers, to see the marvelous cake I am referring to, head over here to Katya’s blog.

So instead, I went on a cookie baking spree this past weekend. Check in later tonight for Cranberry Orange Spirals and Snickers Peanut Butter Cookies. Today however, I have Dorie’s World Peace Cookies.

There’s been quite a bit of hype over these cookies, seems they are quite popular around the internet and blogosphere. You can read about the origin of the name on Dorie’s site, and there’s also a link to the recipe there.

These cookies are deeply dark and chocolately, with just a hit of saltiness. Very tasty and worthy of a glass of milk for dunking. They are simple to make and tasty to eat.

Alas, I think they are good, but am afraid that all the hype about them raised my expectations far too high and I honestly don’t see what all the fuss is about. :-/ Don’t get me wrong, they are good, I only wish I hadn’t read all about them first.

22 Responses to TWD: Rewind: World Peace Cookies

Flourchild says:

I felt the same way, they were really good but nothing like I expected from all the hype! I think it's great you have been on a cookie baking roll lately. I would choose cookies over any recipe any day!
    Oh your cookies look perfect!

Donna-FFW says:

Glad for your honest opinion. I had planned on making them due to all the hype, but I may try a different chocolate cookie instead. They certainly look gorgeous though.

cookies and cups says:

Having never read about them, I think I will make them ;) They look delicious!!!! Also, those snickers cookies look to die. Thanks for stopping by my site and the sweet comment!

Clivia says:

Beautiful group of photos! I love that plate. Now we make this cookies a couple of times a month. It's the double chocolate that's hooked my family.

Romaine says:

Love your cookie pictures. The doilie makes a great prop!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

I'm in awe of anyone who keeps up with TWD, it's a lot of work. Well done. These cookies look very nice though anything that sets it's bar so high with lofty claims, no matter how tongue in cheek, have got their work cut out to meet expectations!

Yes, Amanda, twins separated at birth, I tell ya (oh, and by a few years. hehe)
    When I made these with the group, I felt the same way. Good, but nothing to be "hype"r about!
    Yours do look great, much better than anything I produced this week! Sigh. ;)

myfamousrecipe says:

Gosh, I came here for a brief check-in, but got drawn in by all the gorgeous photos on the right side of the page: whoopie pies, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, cookies. I might just stay here all day!

jillbert says:

I liked these cookies a lot, but I know what you mean about the hype. I have been avoiding all of the chocolate chip cookies for the same reason. They can't ALL be the best cookie ever!

Lauryn says:

Its funny, I happen to agree with you! I made these about a month ago and was soooo psyched about them, but when I tasted them I just wasn't wow'd. I'd prefer a chocolate chip cookie over these cookies any day…Happy Thanksgiving!

Tia says:

i had these bookmarked to try, and now is even more incentive ! your gorgouus pictures.

Bummer about the cookies not living up to their hype and your expectations!

Hppy Turkey Day!

Michelle says:

Dorie's World Peace Cookies are one of my most requested cookies! One of those recipes you will bake many times over!

Sweet as Coco says:

Ahh..thats too bad they didnt meet your expectations! These are truly one of my favorite Dorie recipes–I plan on making these soon and keeping a log in my freezer ;)

Chow and Chatter says:

these look so good will go over and chek out the cake as well!

Barbara Bakes says:

Sorry these didn't knock your socks off! I think if you try them again when you haven't had an over the top peanut butter cookie maybe you'd like them better!

natalia says:

Ciao ! I should make these cookies again : mine were sooo flat !!

Nina says:

Your cookies look perfect–even if you werent too jazzed by them! I haven't made these yet–and am wondering the same thing!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I have heard a lot of great things about these cookies too. I still would like to try them but I will attempt not to put them on a pedestal first :)

I wasn't thrilled with these cookies either – so I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

margot says:

The cookies look terrific, sorry they weren't a favorite. I really like them; I'm glad the first time made them was before I joined TWD and read so much about them, though.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I may be alone on this, but I simply wasn't a fan of these cookies!!