Beef Brisket in Tomato Onion Gravy

I buy beef by the side. In that side of beef I get 2 briskets (it’s actually one large brisket, I have them cut it in two) and 1 flank steak, two of my favorite cuts. Because I only get a limited number of these cuts, I’m pretty picky about how I prepare them.

In my recipe binder I probably have 20 different recipes for preparing brisket, all of which I have yet to try. I have several brisket recipes bookmarked as well, haven’t tried any of those either. I don’t own a smoker, and liquid smoke is just cheating, so I have yet to prepare smoked brisket (yes, yes, I know, it’s fabulous, I must try it! I will, I promise, just not today). So every time I pull a precious brisket of beef from my freezer, I carefully thumb through my recipe binder trying to decide which one to try. But I’m chicken. I love brisket. I don’t want to chance that a recipe might not be all it’s cracked up to be, and then end up wasting that beloved cut of meat.

So instead, I opt for the stand by. The go-to brisket recipe that resides in the beef section of my recipe binder. The one I found online who knows how many years ago. The one that I make every single time I make brisket because I don’t dare take a chance! The same one that I have loved for years. It’s simple. It’s delicious. It makes its own gravy. Maybe you’ve even tried it yourself, or found it online and it’s sitting in your recipe binder right now and you’re afraid to try it! Well, take it from me, you will love it!

The ingredient list is small, but the baking time is long. I usually don’t make this until the weather cools off because it needs four hours in the oven. It can be made in the slow cooker, according to the recipe, but I’ve always made it in the oven. My motto: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I have adapted this recipe only slightly to make things a little easier, though the basics are all the same.

Beef Brisket in Tomato Onion Gravy

3 lb beef brisket
1 15-oz can stewed tomatoes
2 cups water
1 envelope onion soup mix
6 ginger snap cookies

Preheat oven to 325 F. Place brisket in a 13×9 baking dish.

Place canned tomatoes (with juices), water, onion soup mix, and ginger snap cookies into a blender. Puree until all ingredients are combined and uniform. Pour mixture over the brisket.

Seal pan tightly with foil. Place in oven and bake, without peeking, for 3 hours.

Remove pan from oven and reduce temperature to 225 F. Remove brisket and slice against the grain. Place slices back into the gravy in the pan and reseal. Add another piece of foil in case there were any rips in the first one. Return pan to oven for one more hour.

Remove from oven, carefully peel back foil and move meat to a serving dish. Pour some of the gravy over the meat and put some more into a gravy boat.

For a text only (no recipe photos or commentary) printer friendly version of this recipe, click here

23 Responses to Beef Brisket in Tomato Onion Gravy

Dawn says:

gingersnaps! I heard of that before. I love this.

I have a go-to brisket recipe that I've made so many times I have it memorized. I know I should branch out and try something new…. but…. I can't! I stick with the same one because it always works and everyone loves it.

This looks like a wonderful variation.

Mags says:

I have never made brisket. I'm too afraid I'll ruin it! Since this is your tried and true recipe, I think I can trust you and maybe I just need to give this a shot. It looks fabulous Amanda.

Carrie says:

that looks so delicious!! Will have to try it sometime.

Fresh Local and Best says:

Good for you for purchasing beef that way. Someday I hope to have enough space to do the same. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

BentoForKidlet says:

That looks delicious! I don't think I have ever cooked brisket before but now I will try!

Chef Fresco says:

Mmm these look delicious! I've never cooked them either but need to try!

Tiff says:

I totally agree with you on not using the crockpot, but is there anyway that you could post the directions for that way?? My boyfriend is trying to find more recipes for the crockpot and this looks divine!

Chow and Chatter says:

this looks wonderful oh and i adore the picture

Marie says:

wow, Amanda, I cooked Brisket yesterday as well! Yours looks fabulous! (as always!)

I have never made a brisket because I guess it intimidates me. Silly huh? This recipe sounds easy enough, plus I can buy a box of gingersnaps! It's a win, win situation! LOL Bookmarked!

I've recently discovered a love for beef with tomatoes and I've always wanted to try a brisket and haven't. Now I have a fool proof recipe. (Ooh, won't you be in trouble if it doesn't work out. Just kidding!)

5 Star Foodie says:

I'm loving the use of gingersnap cookies here, excellent brisket recipe!

biz319 says:

I may be able to make this – I hate onions, but maybe I could tolerate the onion soup mix!

Mmm…I loves brisket! :D

Rachel says:

I never would have thought to add ginger snap cookies, but I bet it's fabulous! My husband is always begging me to make brisket, but unfortunately, it seems rather pricey, unless I get it at Super Walmart. The only problem is that it's a HUGE piece of meat…usually 14-15 lbs! We're good eaters and all, but even if we cut it in half, each half would probably last for several meals. I know my husband would enjoy this recipe, so I thank you for sharing it. When I finally get around to buying it, I will most definitely give it a try!

Niche Topics says:

Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious…I probably try it in a slow cooker :) Great blog!!

I'm not a big fan of brisket however this recipe may change my mind. I really like how this sounds and the ingredient list is simple but sounds tasty. Sometimes less is more…thanks Amanda…I am going to try this one!

this is in the oven as i type – i'll let you know how it comes out – thanks for the recipe

Dawn – Not sure what the ginger snaps do, but it works!

Megan – looking forward to our brisket challenge :)

Mags – hope you do, it is wonderful!

Carrie – thanks!

Fresh – love getting my beef that way – totally worth it!

Bento – hope you like it :)

Chef – you haven't tried brisket? You must! :)

Tiff – I think you could just do everything the same and cook it on low 8-9 hours or on high for 6-7 :)

Thanks Rebecca!

Thanks Marie! Will have to come over and see if you blogged yours :)

Megan – LOL brisket is a great cut, but it must be cooked long and slow :)

Katrina – LMAO! Hope you try it, it is wonderful I have made this recipe tons of times :)

Thanks 5 Star!

biz – hate onions??? holy cow. I couldn't live without onions LOL

Rachel – that's pretty big, i would definitely cut that into several sections.

Hi Niche – thanks for visiting!

Debbie – hope you try it. I'm not a corned beef fan, which is of course brisket. But this is a completely different meal!

Anonymous – I so hope it worked for you!

Lety says:

Oh my gosh! My mom and I made this last night and it was fabulous! I subbed three buck Chuck Merlot for the water and just used a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. My kids had three helpings. So good!

Bill Medifast says:

Beef brisket is already such a tasty option, but combining with a tomato onion gravy is even better. Going to have to try this out very soon.

Thanks for sharing this,

Bill M.

Maria says:

I am sure this is a hit! You made it look so pretty:)

[...] is a great addition to my small arsenal of brisket recipes which include Savory Beef Brisket and Beef Brisket in Tomato Onion Gravy now I can add a third. [...]