White Chocolate Ice Cream

I’m still working on my one year blogaversary post. I was going to hastily put it together due to my current insane workload, but changed my mind. There are soooo many things I have learned this year that I don’t want to short change that lovely anniversary and then regret it. So instead, I will try to catch up on some blog posts sitting in the wings as I work on it.

Recently I opened up David Lebovitz’s Perfect Scoop and turned to page 33. I, like David, am a white chocolate fan. As he says, some purists will argue that it’s not real chocolate. I echo David’s thoughts “Although that may be technically true, who cares?” Well said David. :)

I didn’t have any fancy white chocolate to use for this recipe, just the white chocolate baker’s squares. They worked out beautifully and if you like white chocolate you will like this ice cream! The book suggests topping this with Sour Cherries in syrup (on page 185 of his book ) or pairing it with chocolate cake. I say it’s fabulous all by its lonesome!

The full recipe is at the end :)

I think I’ve mentioned before that I have learned to gather all my ingredients ahead of time. Saves time while making the recipe and it also saves you the disappointment of discovering that you thought you had something on hand when in fact you were out. :-p As you can see, my egg yolks are in a plastic sandwich bag. The most efficient way to extract those yolks from that bag is to cut off a bottom corner and squeeze them out.

Start by putting all the chopped white chocolate into a bowl and place a mesh strainer over the top. Set that aside.

Mix the sugar, salt and milk together and warm in a saucepan.

After you’ve whisked the egg yolks in a separate bowl, temper the eggs by adding a very slow drizzle of the warm mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. You can increase the drizzle after you’ve added about 1/4-1/3 of the warm milk mixture. Put the warm egg mixture back into the saucepan.

After cooking the mixture and thickening it to a custard, strain it over the white chocolate. I had to stir for quite a while to get all the white chocolate to finally melt.

Next, stir in the cream.

Then put the bowl into an ice bath and stir until cooled.

After the custard has completely cooled in the refrigerator, churn it in your ice cream maker. Then put into a container and freeze it completely. Then you get to EAT it :)

White Chocolate Ice Cream

8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream

Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and and set a mesh strainer over the top.

Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer over the white chocolate. Stir until white chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, then stir in the cream. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

36 Responses to White Chocolate Ice Cream

lisaiscooking says:

I just finished reading that book, and I'm a white chocolate fan too! Looks fantastic.

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) says:

Wow! That looks fabulous! I love white chocolate.

Jane

Chow and Chatter says:

this looks divine i really need to make ice cream one of these days
    rebecca

Frieda says:

Thanks for another great recipe~

Peggy Bourjaily says:

I'm not usually a fan of white chocolate, but I feel that making an ice cream of it would be heavenly especially with fruit compote. I've got to try this before all of the berries disappear from the market.

Shelly says:

I just received an ice cream maker this week and started off making vanilla and it was oh so good. Can't wait to try this.

Oh, I make this for my one twin and I will be his hero for sure! He is a fiend for anything white chocolate.

Thanks all, you'll love it if you try it :)

Jennifer says:

YUM!!!!!!!!!! This looks sooo good and I can just imagine what perfect things this would pair with!

Amanda that ice cream looks fantastic. I love the flavor. I don't think I have ever had white chocolate ice cream and now I am dying for some!

mona says:

Which Ice-Cream maker do you recommend me? Thanks.

Sere says:

oh god, do you read minds??????????????
    I WAS REALLY LOOKING FOR THIS RECIPE! i've look for it for weeks! and now you've posted it!

thank you soooo much! :)

Sere

Jennifer and Debbie – thanks, it's wonderful! :)

mona – Believe it or not that only one I have ever tried is a Donvier. They retail for about $60, but I bought mine at a thrift store for $4.00 :) So be sure to check the thrift stores before you order or buy a new one. The Donvier has a metal canister that you put in the freezer for a minimum of 7 hours (I do it overnight). Then you put the frozen canister into the outer casing, add the paddle mixer, then the custard and the lid. You just give it a turn every 5 minutes until it's no longer liquid, then move the ice cream mixture to a container and freeze.

Sere – Fabulous! Hope you enjoy it, be sure to let me know if you make it :)

5 Star Foodie says:

Wow, a white chocolate ice cream! That sounds absolutely heavenly, a must try for sure!

Joelen says:

This ice cream flavor sounds fantastic! I can even see it with other fruity flavors like raspberry – mmmm!

SiHaN says:

i'm such a fan of white chocolate! that lokks amazing. I'm so going to try this soon!

Culinary Cory says:

Happy blogaversary! I love white chocolate and this looks fantastic. While I was in Columbus, OH recently I had homemade white chocolate ice cream with blueberry sauce swirled throughout. It was a wonderful treat while window shopping.

Barbara Bakes says:

It looks so smooth and creamy and delicious!

Troy says:

I bet this would be absolutely heavenly on a double scoop cone with some raspberry sorbet…

SUGAR B says:

Simply beautiful, Amanda. What else can I say?

Give me a spoon.

I tried out this recipe and my family and I LOVED it! It was soo rich and creamy and easy to scoop. I suggest you use Ghiradelli white chocolate baking squares like I did. They melted quickly and flavored the recipe well. I am keeping this recipe for myself :-) Five stars!

Anonymous – So glad that you liked it! Glad you reminded me, I need to make some more of this! :)

Robert says:

Hey,

I am an 18 year old guy that doesn't know a thing about cooking. I received an ice cream maker as a graduation present, and made my first batch using the recipe book that came with the machine. It was OK, but I wanted more. I love white chocolate, so I Googled some recipes. I stumbled upon this one, noticed I had most of the ingredients, and gave it a go. The ice cream turned out great! I added some white chocolate chips at the end to add a little crunch, and my family loved it! Do you have any other ice cream recipes? Thanks for the fantastic recipe (cool blog too!)!

-Robert

Hi Robert! How fun, so glad you liked it! Yes, there are more ice cream recipes here http://www.amandascookin.com/search/label/ice%20cream Let me know if you try any others!

Robert says:

I might have to give another one a go! Which one is your favorite?

Hi Robert :) Don't know that I could pick one favorite, but among them are Mexican Chocolate, Rich Chocolate, Cinnamon Ice Cream and the Oreo one :) Looking forward to hearing your results!

A Busy Nest says:

I used the white chocolate ice cream to fill profiteroles and served it with a raspberry coulis. It was a big hit!

[...] Adapted from Amanda’s Cookin’ [...]

kristi says:

I made this ice cream this weekend and it literally was the best ice cream i have ever tasted. Thanks for the recipe.

Red Velvet Ice Cream | 42 square feet says:

[...] white chocolate chip ice cream, and we’ve never looked back. Here’s a good recipe for white chocolate chip, though it is not the recipe we used.  It’s the closest I could find, and it looks [...]

[...] Adapted from Amanda’s Cookin’ [...]

[...] Essa receita tem se repetido aqui em casa por conta de um estoque grande de chocolate branco. E fez tanto sucesso que rendeu duas belas histórias com uma amiga minha. Dessa vez eu acrescentei licor de laranja e cranberries secas, as quais por surpresa encontrei pra vender aqui no último natal. Fica bem cremoso. Eu tenho uma certa preguiça de fazer sorvetes com essa etapa de fazer um creme antes, mas no final vale muito a pena. Ingredientes: 220 g de chocolate branco picado (usei um pouco mais) 1 xícara de leite integral 2/3 de xícara de açúcar pitada de sal 5 gemas de ovos grandes 2 xícaras de creme de leite (ou 2 caixinhas) [...]

[…] White Chocolate Ice Cream from Amanda’s Cookin […]

Belinda says:

If you don’t have a ice cream maker can you put in the freezer?

• 34.1

Hi Belinda. You can, but if you do that I would stir it every half hour or so to help it along, until it gets to the point where it can’t be stirred any longer. It will probably need to freeze over night. The churning in the ice cream maker helps to keep the ice cream homogenous so that ingredients don’t settle and freeze separately.