Grasshopper Pie

I recently bought a cookbook called America’s Best Lost Recipes. It contains quite a few recipes reminiscent of the old days, and believe me I have several bookmarked to make! One that caught my eye was Grasshopper Pie. I went to a restaurant here in town several years ago and ordered a “Grasshopper”, which is a mixed drink that usually consists of heavy cream, Creme de Menthe, and Creme de Cocao. The bartender blended it with vanilla ice cream and I was in love. :) There are quite a few different versions of Grasshopper Pie (plenty without alcohol, but that’s not what this post is about) out their in Internetland, some even getting a bad rap because of the strong flavor, but I really wanted to try this recipe as it included the same liqueurs as that drink I love.

I will state for the record that I though this pie was wonderful. The texture is creamy and melts in your mouth. I saw a post on a message board where a woman had tried this recipe and thought the texture was too gelatin-like. All I can say is I couldn’t disagree with her more. In fact, if I had to guess I would never have known there was gelatin in the ingredient list.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This recipe is delicious, but I highly recommend making it a day ahead and letting the pie sit in the fridge overnight. If you try the pie right after you make it, you will most likely experience a medicinal flavor from the strength of the liqueur. Allowing it to sit in the fridge overnight lets the flavors mellow. Plan ahead!

Also, I want to add kudos to this recipe for their time suggestions. Throughout the recipe they give suggested times (i.e. “cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes”, etc). I used my microwave timer for each and every suggested time in this recipe and they were right on the mark with each one. :)

Grasshopper Pie
Crust
16 Mint ‘n Creme Oreo cookies, broken into rough pieces (Double Stuff)
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Filling
3 large egg yolks
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
pinch salt
1/4 cup green creme de menthe
1/4 cup white creme de cocao
shaved bittersweet or semisweet chocolate for garnish (optional)
For the crust
Adjust oven rack to the middle position and the the oven to 350 F. Grind the cookies in a food processor to fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with the melted butter, and toss well. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate (I used a tart pan) and refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes. Bake until set, about 8-10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
For the filling
Beat egg yolks in a medium bowl. Combine the gelatin, sugar, 1/2 cup cream, and salt in a medium saucepan and let sit until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Cook over medium heat until gelatin dissolves and mixture is very hot, but not boiling, about 2 minutes. Whisking vigorously, slowly add the gelatin mixture to the egg yolks (see tempering note below), return the mixture to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add creme de menthe and creme de cocao. Pour into a clean bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until wobbly, but not set, about 20 minutes.
Beat the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cream with electric mixer (I used the KA) at medium high speed until stiff peaks form. Whisk one cup of the whipped cream into the gelatin mixture until completely incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, fold the gelatin mixture into the remaining whipped cream until no steaks of white remain. Scrape the mixture into the cooled pie shell, smooth the top, and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours or preferably overnight (DO THIS!)
Serve topped with chocolate curls, if desired.
Tempering – I know that some people have trouble with tempering eggs. The key is to go very slowly. The instructions above say to whisk (the eggs) vigorously and slowly add the gelatin mixture to the yolks. When I do this, I literally dribble the hot mixture in. I have never had trouble tempering eggs and have never ended up with scrambled egg dessert LOL. Just remember to add the hot liquid to the eggs at a dribble or a very slow pour and you should be fine.

18 Responses to Grasshopper Pie

Melody says:

This is my favorite dessert ever! I am a complete sucker for chocolate and mint. Your pie looks great and I need to learn how to temper eggs sometime in my life. Why not now?!?!

I had this pie years ago. I would love to try it again. Yours looks absolutely perfect! Great job Amanda!!!

Delectable Dining says:

This looks so good! One of my favorite desserts!

Justin says:

i think my heart just stopped. i love chocolate chip mint ice cream, and so now i'm wondering why i've never made a dessert like this before.

5 Star Foodie says:

Oh, wow, this just looks absolutely heavenly! I Love the mint flavored desserts and would just love this pie!

Tempering eggs isn't the hard part – waiting overnight for the pie is!

Jacque says:

Oh boy, does that ever sound good. And it looks so chic too.

How nice that the times were included along with the visual clues. Sometimes its so hard to tell.

Kayte says:

I remember my mom used to make this is the 60s and 70s! She would serve it at card group and she would make us little ones in little tart pans (mine without chocolate, of course) and we just loved it. We didn't know it didn't have alcohol in it, we thought it was the same as the grown up one, so my brother would always pretend he was drunk after he ate it…LOL. Kids! Thanks for the memories…your pie looks absolutely gorgeous.

Chef Fresco says:

Thanks for stopping by our site! I like the idea of lemon curd w. angel food cake. Your grasshoper pie looks delicious!

Melody – tempering really is easy, go for it!

Thank you Debbie and Delectable Dining!

Justin – With all your experience in the culinary field I am surprised too! LOL

Thank you 5 Star Foodie and Jacque!

Megan – I agree completely, waiting is very hard! ;)

Kayte – What a fun memory! LOL Silly kids :)

This looks lovely. I haven't ever had grasshopper anything.

Btw, I too like when a recipe gives times. I do the same and set a timer.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove says:

Amanda,
    Thanks for posting this! This used to be a standard dessert in our family (waaaaay back when) and it was always was a big hit to take to get togethers. I am going to have to make one soon!

Cakelaw says:

This looks delicious Amanxda. It is something I have heard of but never tasted. Creme de menthe is a "lost liqueur" – not many people seem to drink it anymore. But to make this gorgeous pie alone, I think it would be great to have in the cupboard.

Pamela says:

It looks like summer on a plate! Cooking Light had a version a number of years ago that we just loved! Thanks for reminding me of that!

Sweet and Savory says:

In this hot weather, this looks like it would cool us off just by looking at it.

I used to make something similar but not in years. I have to add this to the list of "to do's".

Sweet and Savory says:

Dali says:

I will sure try this!!! My fav Ice cream is Chocolate mint so I can just imangine what a little bit of each would taste together!!!

Cassandra says:

It is tradition in my family that I make this desert every year, and this year I had lost the recipe and couldn't seem to find another recipe that did use marshmallow whip :( . No offense to anyone buy I find marshmallow whip gross. Anyway I made um real whip cream to top it with made with honey instead of powdered sugar and I added a little bit of creme de menth to the whip cream instead of vanilla extract, and it was fabulous