Homemade Multigrain Bread

I found this wonderful recipe over at the marvelous blog, Prudence Pennywise. This bread is very tasty and I will definitely make it again! I ended up only having bread machine yeast, which is more of a rapid rise, so mine only needed an hour rise each time. However, mine over baked a bit and came out too brown, and the crust was just too hard. The inside was perfect though! I wouldn’t call this a failure as I did eat some, and then I ended up using the rest of it in a frugal way (watch for tomorrow’s Thrifty Thursday post for that!).

So I will make this again, this time with active dry yeast and I will watch it closer during bake time :)

Farm Country Multi Grain Loaves
Adapted from Joy of Cooking

2 cups milk
1 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
2 eggs
1/2 cup wheat germ (or substitute whole wheat flour)
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more if needed
extra butter

Heat milk in microwave until just boiling. Pour into free standing mixer bowl (or into large bowl to mix and knead by hand). Add oatmeal, sugar, butter, and salt. Mix well and cool to luke warm, about 15 minutes. Add yeast, eggs, wheat germ and whole wheat flour. With mixer on low, add in remaining all purpose flour. Knead on medium for 6 minutes. If dough is still sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until dough pulls away from edges of bowl. Shape dough into large ball and using your hands, rub the outside of the dough with butter. Put the dough back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 1 and 1/2 hours. Shape dough into two loaves and place in two nine inch loaf pans. Let rise again, covered with plastic wrap, until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake about 1 hour.

15 Responses to Homemade Multigrain Bread

Prudy says:

ooh-yours looks delicious. Sorry about the overdone crust. Maybe I just like mine a little browner than the rest.:)
    Your blog looks great-I’m off to catch up on your other posts. I’d love to participate in your frugal thursdays. Just let me know what to do!

Carrie says:

I love homemade bread… I bake it a couple times a weeks. I haven’t tried multi grain yet… just whole wheat.

Yum!

Cathy says:

This looks PERFECT, can’t see any overdone-ness in the pictures! I have wheat germ in my fridge that I really need to use up, and now I know where some of it will be going!

Cheri Sicard says:

What a great job you did. THose photos look like commercially baked bread. Just beautiful.

pinkstripes says:

Your loaf looks perfect. I agree with the others, it looks like a commercial loaf.

Emily says:

I’ve never had homemade bread..other than like banana bread! It looks yummy!! =] I’m excited for Thrifty Thursday!

Grace says:

that’s a great-looking loaf of bread (and the sandwich looks pretty appetizing, too)–good for you for making your own!

Jacque says:

Oooh, it looks delicious… and healthy to boot.

Sorry about the overdone crust :( I hate it when that happens.

have you tried this recipe with honey? I wonder if I added a little. This sounds and looks perfect! Thank you for sharing!

I haven't tried it with honey yet, but I'm glad that you posted here. Reminds me to make this again!

I received a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas and have been trying loads of bread recipes, can't wait to try this one tonight. Thanks!

Would love to hear how it turns out!

[...] breadQuick orange rollsSimple one hour homemade breadHomemade French breadHomemade Amish white breadHomemade multi-grain breadBretzel rolls – pretzel sandwich rollsHomemade Italian [...]

Niki says:

I made this today! Very yummy, except the cooking time needed was only 20mins. Toothpick test :)