Cozy Coconut Smoothie
As I explore the world of cooking, ingredient by ingredient, I’m realizing that coconut is one of the most underrated ingredients of them all. You can whip the cream into mousse, drink the water for a refreshing boost, and mix it with just about any tropical fruit for an instant island getaway. But until I made this smoothie, I’d mostly just been pairing coconut with other tropical ingredients. You know, pineapple, mango, and the like. But I had a carton full of coconut milk, a pantry stocked with shaved coconut, and a strong craving for a richly sweet smoothie, so I began throwing things in the blender until I arrived at this seriously SO GOOD coconut smoothie. It has the creaminess of coconut, the rich sweetness of brown sugar, and the zing of freshly grated ginger.
There are affiliate links in this post. That means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
To make this smoothie, you’ll need:
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- ½ cup refrigerated coconut milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded or shaved coconut
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Kitchen tools you will find helpful:
Canned vs Boxed Coconut Milk
Let’s talk about the difference between canned coconut milk and coconut milk from a carton for a second. This recipe calls for refrigerated coconut milk from a carton. This is a watered down version of coconut milk, and therefore can be consumed as a beverage. It’s a good bit lower in calories and fat than canned coconut milk. Canned and boxed coconut milks are usually full fat and ultra-rich. If a recipe calls for coconut milk and doesn’t differentiate between canned and refrigerated, you’ll usually want to go with canned.
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE
More smoothies and smoothie bowl recipes you will like:
- This Loaded Coffee Smoothie is packed with whole grains, fruit, protein, and (the best part) coffee! Everything you need to get out the door in 5 minutes!
- Nutty almonds and maple syrup meet creamy Greek yogurt and frozen banana to create a heavenly Almond Maple Smoothie you won’t be able to put down.
- This Mocha Smoothie Bowl is a delicious good breakfast that whips up in seconds but fills you up so much more than a smoothie ever could.
- Use fresh, in-season stone fruit, such as cherries and plums, to make this gorgeously delicious Stone Fruit Smoothie Bowl for breakfast. Take it to go if you must!
Cozy Coconut Smoothie
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 banana sliced and frozen
- 1/2 cup refrigerated coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded or shaved coconut
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, topping with additional shredded coconut and brown sugar if desired.