Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

My family loves my soft peanut butter cookies and my Nutella peanut butter cookies, so I decided to create a chocolate version of this fave. That was easy to do by just substituting some of the flour with cocoa powder. Nice and soft and full of chocolate peanut buttery flavor, yum!

I love this dough. It’s such an easy recipe and comes together nicely. I haven’t substituted butter for the shortening, so if you decide to do that I’m afraid I can’t offer up any experienced advice. I have used both regular shortening and butter flavored shortening, both with great results.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup shortening (or butter flavored shortening)
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add egg. Beat just until blended.

Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.

Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls (using a cookie scoop works great) 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork.

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until set and just beginning to brown. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to racks to cool completely.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

54 Responses to Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Estela @ Weekly Bite says:

These look so rich & delicious!! Love the chocolate/PB combo :)

Yum-meee!

marla says:

These cookies look delicious! Chocolate PB is always a win :)

Cookin' Canuck says:

These look wonderful, Amanda – perfect for dunking into a glass of milk.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet says:

There is always room for a new chocolate and peanut butter dessert in my life!

Shelby says:

Oh how I wish I could eat and eat and not gain weight! LOL. These look so yummy I'd be afraid to have them around me! ;)

Tami says:

No kidding, I'm heading to the kitchen to make these right now. How did you know that I've been craving chocolate and pnut butter?

Maria says:

I have to make these and soon!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

These look amazing! I love anything that has chocolate and peanut butter in the ingredient list :)

Sue says:

What a great idea! Your photos are crystal clear!

Micha @Cookin' Mimi says:

Oh yum. I love pb cookies and adding chocolate is genius.

Tami says:

Told ya I was going to make them. http://tamiskitchentabletalk.blogspot.com/2011/04/jumbo-chocolate-peanut-butter-cookies.html

My cookie monsters gobbled them up!

I Like To Cook 222 says:

Chocolate and peanut butter together! What could be better!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says:

Oh Yum—this sounds wonderful!

Velva says:

Oh delicious…chocolate and peanut butter, one of my favorite flavor combinations.

Velva

Miz Helen says:

Hi Amanda,
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies, these cookies look delicious. I sure wish I had a couple right now they would be so good. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Krystine Stephenson says:

Those look so yummy! I think I'm going to have to try them! Thanks for sharing!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son says:

What a great idea! So simple, yet I never would have thought of it.

I'd love to have you share this recipe on my weekly link up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/07/jelly-bean-cookies/

I just found your site via tastespotting.com All I have to say is, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have died and gone to dessert heaven! All of your treats (not just this one) look AMAZING!

Thanks everyone, they are awesome! Glad you found me anon! :) :)

Tonya says:

These look & sound delicious!! Two of my favorite things…chocolate & peanut butter…you can't go wrong with that combo! Stopping by from tatertots & jello!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles says:

Sounds delicious! Great combination!

Michelle says:

oh my …what a combination chocolate meets peanut butter swooon….

Carissa says:

What a genius cookie idea. Love it!

Found you on Tatertots and Jello

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Oh yumm these look gorgeous Amanda

I bet these are fantastic! :)

thehungryhomebody says:

YUM! My hubby's aways asking why peanut butter and chocolate cant be in the same cookie and now I finally have a recipe to make for him. thanks for sharing!

Julie says:

Now THAT'S my kind of pb cookie! Yum :)

Little Brick Ranch says:

YES!!! Ill take a dozen!! If you get a sec, pop on over to Foodie Friday and link up! Oh, and I found you at Blue Cricket Design. :)

Barb, sfo says:

These are delicious! I added 3/4 cup of peanut butter/chocolate chips. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. It made 5 dozen cookies.

Love the addition of the pb chips part, those sound great!

hayley says:

i just made these cookies and they are so easy to make!!! Can't wait for them to cool off :) thanks for the recipe!!!

[...] might also like these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.  Soft Nutella Peanut Butter [...]

Liezl says:

So delicious! We loved them! Thanks for the recipe <3

Amanda R says:

I’m so excited to try this recipe. I put chocolate peanut butter cookies into a Google search and when I saw your site pop up, I knew this was the recipe for me!

From one Amanda to another, thanks in advance for this great recipe!

Sonya says:

I made these the other day and they were a huge hit :) I added in chopped salted peanuts and used a large cookie scoop to portion the dough out. They tasted like a brownie almost :) I also used real butter without any problems! thank you for a wonderful recipe!

[...] Just about everyone (me excluded) loves chocolate and peanut butter together. These amazing cookies are easy to make and exceptionally delicious. (I have to admit that even I, [...]

Amanda D says:

Thank You a Million Times!!! Finally a good chocolate cookie recipe that uses unsweetened cocoa! My daughter has food sensitivities (gluten, egg, cane sugar) so baking sweets is pretty much fruit and oat-based and I’ve been dying to give her something truly decadent. This is a hit! I was able to easily substitute the brown sugar for an amber agave nectar and my usual egg and gluten subs and the flavor and texture are just amazing! (They usually fall flat when I try to alter a recipe.) Now that we’ve got some rich chocolaty treats baking in the house, it finally smells like the holidays!

• 38.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

That is an amazing comment, I am so glad to hear that Amanda, thanks so much for sharing that with me! I’m so glad you have a chocolate cookie that will work with your daughter’s health u=issues. Yay!

Jamie says:

Totally totally totally yummers!

Laura says:

Hubs asked for chocolate peanut butter cookies last evening, so I googled it and found your recipe. Hubs was concerned they’d be crunchy, but they are soft and scrumptious!! We added white chocolate chips as well as butterscotch chips. Hubby and boys LOVED them! ;)

Kiersten says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’m going to make them with my kids later today! I’m 39 weeks pregnant with baby #3 and have been craving a cookie EXACTLY like this so I am soooo excited to try it! Must get in those last calorie splurges before baby comes :)
    (found you with a google search, btw!)

Can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter! These look great!

ann knoble says:

very good

Kevin says:

I stumbled onto this recipe a couple of days ago .. it looked great so I tried them the next day. Wow .. these made it to my top 5 list. Just the right balance of peanut butter and chocolate IMO.

Also, I made the recipe with butter vs. shortening .. turned out terrific in my opinion.

Thanks.

[…] Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies from Amanda’s Cooking […]

Twila says:

I just made your cookies exactly as you wrote the receipe. Really good. I needed more so I made a second batch and used margarine. I usually use margarine for cookies because it tends to melt better and does not give you such a hard cookie like butter does. Just my opinion but I think that the flavor is better than shortening. Also I added some chocolate chunks and some peanuts. They were amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.