Homemade Mocha Frappucinos

This week I have to give some credit to my good blogging friend, Bunny from Bunny’s Warm Oven. In fact over the next week or so you’ll see her name mentioned a lot as I have been making several recipes that she has posted. Her and I have such similar tastes that I could probably make and enjoy everything from her blog!

At any rate, this week I want to share with you my version of the homemade Frappucino. Frugal? Absolutely! I haven’t figured out the unit cost by any means, but at over $4.00 for one Frappucino at Starbucks, I can guarantee mine are only a fraction of that price! Here’s a rough guess:

leftover coffee – free!
sugar – pennies
chocolate syrup – $2.00 a bottle?
Instant coffee – $5.00 a jar?
whipping cream – $1.00 8-oz
powdered sugar to sweeten whipping cream – pennies
ice – free!

OK so I guess I need to check the prices next time I hit the grocery store, but it’s definitely a bargain. Even if you add up the price of the entire jar of instant coffee, the full bottle of chocolate syrup and the full container of whipping cream, it’s still less than 2 venti Frapps. Obviously you don’t need the full jar of coffee, the full bottle of chocolate syrup and the full container of whipping cream for one drink, so some math is definitely needed.

I was inspired by the recipe for the Iced Chocolate Latte on Bunny’s spring brunch post. We made, and enjoyed them, several times as the recipe directs, and then I adapted it a little, changing some of the measurements, to make the Frappucino’s that everyone in this house loves!

If you would like to try Bunny’s latte recipe, please click the brunch link above :) I actually plan to make these with some espresso coffee I have here instead of the regular and instant :)

Homemade Mocha Frappucinos
adapted from Bunny’s Iced Chocolate Latte

8 ounces of coffee, cooled (I use the leftover coffee from the morning and put it in the fridge in a Pyrex cup)
1 tea spoon (not a measuring spoon, but a real tea spoon) of instant coffee
2 Tbls sugar
A good squirt of chocolate syrup
1/4 – 1/2 cup of whole milk ( as much or as little as you like)
8 oz container heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp powdered sugar
ice

Use a hand mixer (or your Kitchenaid) to whip together the whipping cream and powdered sugar until it forms stiff peaks.

Combine coffee, instant coffee, sugar, chocolate syrup and whole milk in blender capable of crushing ice. Add enough ice so that it pops up above the liquid ingredients. Blend until all ice is crushed completely and ingredients are combined. Pour into a tall glass.

Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.

Store extra whipped cream in a covered container in the refrigerator.

24 Responses to Homemade Mocha Frappucinos

Bunny says:

Oh my word Amanda it looks so decadent!! I love it!!

5 Star Foodie says:

What a fabulous frapacchino! I am going to make one like this for myself tomorrow, what a great idea! The frozen drinks and desserts are so perfect right now!

Shandy says:

What a fantastic Mocha Frappacino! I just figured out how to get to your cooking blog and now I feel silly at how easy it actually was…Yeesh! My daughter loves these and buys them at Starbucks. I would much rather make them for her!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

That looks divine!

Thanks ladies, they are delicious! I made some last night with the espresso coffee I have hear but I didn't have one myself so I still need to ask those who did how they were in comparison :)

Danielle says:

Awesome thank you for posting this. I love the star bucks Fraps but cant get over the price. Now i can make them at home. High 5 to you!!

oneordinaryday says:

This is a recipe after my own heart. I'd have to figure out how to make it a peppermint white chocolate frap. though. That's my favorite. Thanks for all the good ideas.

natalie says:

yum! i love starbucks fraps but don't ever indulge as much as i'd like! this will def be worth trying!!

Pam says:

This looks really good! Wish I wasn't on a diet.

The Blonde Duck says:

Yum!

Bunny does have some wonderful recipes! I've made a few and all have been hits at my house.

These photos are amazing! That looks seriously decadent and oh, sooooo good! I'd love one. I've never had a "coffee" drink.

megan says:

This does look delicious!

Jason says:

Absolutely delicious! Love your photos.

Geez that looks good. I need to buy a blender!!!

I stumbled across this recipe and I have to day my daughters and I LOVE it. We make them several time a week and it has saved us a lot of money! Thanks!

So glad to hear that! We LOVE them too! :)

[...] yummy drinks from Amanda’s Cookin’Homemade Mocha FrappacinosSlushie Floats – Homemade [...]

Kim J. says:

This sounds yummy but more work than I care to go through. Here’s the recipe I use. In a blender, place 1 cup skim milk as the base, add a heaping tablespoon of instant (just a regular spoon, not measuring spoon — why dirty another a measuring spoon when you don’t have to…LOL), 1 heaping tablespoon or to taste) sugar or Equal, a heap tablespoon of cocoa powder, 5-6 ice cubes and blend away!! This is quick, easy, very frugal and is the easiest way I can more dairy into my diet. Note: For a special treat, I’ll use one of the flavored instant coffee products out there and adjust the sweetener, cocoa and maybe substitute some of the milk for water.

• 18.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Thanks for your version :) Not sure why you thought mine was a lot of work, sounds about the same as yours LOL!

Peggy says:

looks great! We love fraps at our house too and have found that if you freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays and use those for your ice cubes you get ice that doesnt delute your coffee fix! try it!!!

[...] my own version of mocha-frappucinos. I pinterested it and found a few different versions (these two here and here being the most helpful. I found one that wanted all sorts of crazy ingredients – [...]

[…] Watermelon Pops 33. Raspberry Lemonade Popsicles 34. Watermelon Popsicles 35. Pistachio Gelato 36. Homemade Mocha 37. Red White and Blue Yogurt Pops 38. Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream 39. Fresh Berry and Cream […]