We really enjoy sausage and peppers, but casseroles are such an easy weeknight option. So I put together several of my favorite ingredients to create this delicious Italian Sausage and Potato Casserole.
Why this recipe works
This recipe uses leeks and garlic for flavor, mushrooms are mixed into the sausage for flavor and added vegetable benefits, and potatoes and sweet peppers add body.
Topped with a good garlic flavored cheese, this is a delicious and hearty casserole I consider true comfort food!
Ingredients you will need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
SAUSAGE – We are using sweet Italian sausage, but you could easily substitute any variety of uncooked Italian sausage. The spicy variety would add a nice kick.
PEPPERS – Depending on your preference, you can use whatever color bell pepper you like. We like the sweeter varieties, which are red, yellow, and orange. Green peppers work great though!
POTATOES – while we are using red potatoes in this casserole, any waxy variety will work. Russets can be used if you have nothing else, they are just starchier than waxy potatoes.
How to Make Sausage and Potato Casserole
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. You can Jump to Recipe to get the printable version of this recipe, complete with measurements and instructions at the bottom.
- Full instructions in the recipe card are below! Brown sausage and mushroom together in a skillet, drain fat.
- Add parsley to the chicken broth and set aside.
- Cook potatoes in olive oil, creating a nice light brown crust. Add bell peppers and saute until tender crisp. Remove mixture and set aside.
EXPERT TIP – This casserole has almost a stew-like consistency. If you prefer your dinner to be less liquidy, you can drain the can of tomatoes before adding them. Another option is to cut the broth down to 3/4 cup. However, do not do both or you won’t have enough liquid!
- In olive oil saute leek, stirring often. Add garlic, saute a minute or so. Add tomatoes and stir together. Add broth and parsley, bring to a gentle boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients (except the cheese) in casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, top with shredded cheese, bake another 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a very adaptable casserole recipe, so you certainly could use ground beef instead of Italian sausage. In fact, any ground meat will work.
Yes you can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. A 14-ounce can of tomatoes is roughly 1 3/4 cups – so that amount of fresh tomatoes should work.
We love the flavor of garlic cheese, but if you can’t find it, Mozzarella is a great substitution.
This casserole has almost a stew-type consistency. If you prefer it to be less liquidy, you can drain the can of tomatoes before adding them. Another option is to cut the broth down to 3/4 cup. However, do not do both or you won’t have enough liquid!
If you love sausage and peppers, this is a delicious casserole version that makes a filling weeknight meal.
More Casserole Recipes
- Chicken & Dumpling Casserole
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- John Wayne Casserole
- Get all of our casserole recipes here
I love to bake and cook and share my kitchen experience with all of you! Remembering to come back each day can be tough, that’s why I offer a convenient newsletter every time a new recipe posts. Simply subscribe and start receiving your free daily recipes!
Sausage and Potato Casserole
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 pound Italian sausage bulk, or 5 links, casings removed
- 1 cup mushrooms minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley (flat leaf), minced
- 3 cups red potatoes cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 1 medium red bell pepper cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 leek white part cleaned and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic smashed and coarsely chopped
- 14 oz tomatoes canned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup garlic cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the sausage with the mushrooms until well combined. Brown sausage mixture in a skillet over medium heat until nicely browned. Drain and set aside. Wipe out skillet.
- Add parsley to the chicken broth and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook, about 6-8 minutes, creating a nice light brown crust. Add the yellow and red bell peppers and continue and saute for 2-3 minutes, until peppers are tender crisp. Remove potato and pepper mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and saute leek until tender, about 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and saute another minute or so. Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir everything together. Add broth and parsley mixture and bring to a gentle boil. Season with freshly ground pepper and a couple pinches of Kosher salt.
- Combine all ingredients except for the cheese and place in a 2 quart casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- This is a very adaptable casserole recipe, so you certainly could use ground beef instead of Italian sausage. In fact, any ground meat will work.
- This casserole has almost a stew-type consistency. If you prefer it to be less liquidy, you can drain the can of tomatoes before adding them. Another option is to cut the broth down to 3/4 cup. However, do not do both or you won’t have enough liquid!