I was looking for something easy, something to use up the rest of the blueberries in my freezer, and something that everyone would enjoy. I found it in this simple blueberry cake drizzled with shiny glaze.
Sometimes you need something easy, but impressive. Something that people will oooo and ahhh over but it didn’t take you hours to make and didn’t create a sink full of dishes. That’s this cake.
It doesn’t matter what time of year it is either. Any season works because you can use frozen blueberries if you like. I’m sure it would be tasty with other berries as well!
Time in the kitchen recently was a luxury I was not afforded. And here’s why…
Recently we had new hardwood floors installed in the kitchen, hallway and dining room. You can see them in the Instagram picture below, but the new carpet hadn’t been installed yet. Now that it’s all done we absolutely love it!
The carpet went in a week or so later in the living room and bedrooms…
Hubby even installed my new dining room light that I found at Menards. I freakin’ love it.
We are almost done, my brother in law is painting the kitchen hopefully this week. My cabinets will all get a freshening up after we painted them about four years ago. With all that construction going on, there wasn’t a lot of room for extravagant baking. So when I needed a quick but lovely dessert, I made this easy lemon blueberry cake. It uses a cake mix, which adds to the “easy” aspect. I always have a few boxes in my pantry!
Remember, the full printable recipe is at the end of this post. In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, sour cream, oil, milk and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
Toss blueberries with one tablespoon of flour and sprinkle blueberries on top of batter.
Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup flour and butter in a bowl. Work together with your fingers until mixture just starts to stick together.
Sprinkle over blueberries.
Bake and remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes. Make the glaze and drizzle it over the cake.
Yeah. Just like that :)
More cake recipes
Below are some of my favorite cake recipes. But if you prefer to browse them all, find all the cake and cupcake recipes here.
Glazed Lemon Blueberry Cake
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 13x9 baking pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, sour cream, oil, milk and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Toss blueberries with one tablespoon of flour and sprinkle blueberries on top of batter.
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup flour and butter in a bowl. Work together with your fingers until mixture just starts to stick together. Sprinkle over blueberries.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- To make the glaze, place powdered sugar in a bowl. Add one tablespoon of milk and stir. Add remaining milk in small amounts until glaze is of drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cake.