I’m not sure why, but this recipe is named Chocolate Bar Cookies. I’ve renamed it Chocolate Brownie Bars because this is a brownie in every sense of the word, and a rich and delicious one at that! Everyone gobbled these up, it’s good I got my camera out before the kids came home from school!
You could probably just make one 13×9 pan of these, but the instructions said to use 2 8×8 square pans. I wanted to make sure I did the recipe right, so I followed as closely as I could. I only own one 8×8 pan, so I used a 9″ cake pan for the other.
This is a definite keeper, so try it today, you’ll thank me. :) Really.
Chocolate Bar Cookies
Chocolate Brownie BarsPrint
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter and flour 2 8x8 square pans.
- Cream shortening in mixer for about 3 minutes. Add sugar and eggs, alternating and beat well.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler, or in a glass dish over simmering water. Blend melted chocolate into sugar mixture, stir in salt and vanilla.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder then stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pan before cutting into squares or rectangle bars.
- Notes: You can substitute chocolate chips for the nuts.
NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit https://amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html