While I was scooping the potato mixture back into the empty potato shells to prepare these bad boys for the oven, my 18 year old daughter walked in and said “Ohhhh those look so good! They look like something you would see on Pinterest!” Ha ha – gotta love it! These twice baked potatoes were surprisingly easy to make and absolutely perfect with steak on the grill! We love potatoes in this house, and of course bacon is in the top five as is cheese. This is Wisconsin after all!
We haven’t had steak for dinner in many months. We’ve been really watching our budget closely, but I just couldn’t stand it anymore. It was 105 outside, but I only went out long enough to turn the steaks and come back in. I needed a steak.
Baked potatoes are, in my opinion, the perfect side dish for a nice juicy steak. So when I ran across this recipe for bacon and cheese stuffed potatoes on Sargento’s website, I knew it would be the right call. Sargento’s recipe calls for mozzarella cheese and swiss cheese, but I’m the only one here that enjoys Swiss, so I left it out this time.
A long bake at 400 F in the oven was not something I wanted to do given the outside temperature and how hard my air conditioning was working to maintain a livable environment inside. So I did the initial cooking in the microwave, scooped out the innards, then did the final bake in the oven. Luckily the temp required was only 350 F. A little more bearable!
These were absolutely fabulous! I used 3 medium sized Russets and cut the recipe in half. It was perfect for us. In fact, some of us ate two halves each, so next time I’m probably go ahead and buy those big baking potatoes they sell by the pound.
This was a delicious recipe, one I will definitely make again and again!
Cheesy Bacon & Chive Twice Baked PotatoesPrint Rate
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon cooked and diced, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives divided
- 1 1/2 cups 6 oz. Sargento® ChefStyle Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- Bake potatoes in microwave until tender. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out potatoes, leaving 1/8-inch shell.
- Mix potato with sour cream and butter. Mash with potato masher. Stir in bacon (reserve a tablespoon or so for sprinkling on top) and 1 1/2 tablespoons chives. Add 1 1/4 cups of the Mozzarella cheese and mix well. Fill potato shells with mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F 25 minutes or until hot. Garnish with remaining chives.
Sargento did compensate me for the time I dedicated to making this recipe and putting this post together for you, however my opinions on flavor and preparation are 100% mine. :)