You like shortcuts, don’t you? If you read this blog at all, you know that I love to bake from scratch. Sometimes though, there just isn’t time and you need to be able to whip something together pretty quickly. That’s when boxed cake mixes come in really handy. I usually keep one of each flavor (chocolate, white, yellow) in my pantry for such “emergencies”.
I also happen to be a cherry fanatic. I love everything cherry. I’m lucky enough to have a neighbor with a sour cherry tree, and he lets me pick to my heart’s content. Thanks Tom!
Picking that many cherries yields quite a bit of cherry pie filling! This is my friend Debra. She came along to pick cherries with me and made some fabulous jam that I will be featuring in a future recipe as well.
Tom cut an unreachable branch off the top, where all the cherries were. One branch this size filled a one gallon ice cream bucket.
If you follow along with me on Instagram, you may have seen me pitting my cherries.
Or maybe you saw me post about this bowl full of gorgeousness. I’m always posting some sort of sneek peak into my kitchen. ;-)
I love to make my own cherry pie filling, but you can absolutely use the canned variety if you like. Not everyone is lucky enough to have access to fresh sour cherries; they are definitely a commodity.
Anyway, back to the cupcakes. I have seen a few recipes using cherry pie filling, some eggs and a cake mix and just had to try it out myself. Much to my surprise, they were fabulous! The cherry pie filling adds enough moisture that you don’t need any oil or water, just the eggs.
To make these three ingredient cupcakes, combine the cake mix, eggs and cherry pie filling in a food processor or a blender. Fill cupcake liners or pan 3/4 full with batter. Bake in a 350 F oven for 22-24 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. If you like, you can top your cupcakes with whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry.
3 Ingredient Cherry Cupcakes
IMPORTANT – There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It
- 16.25 ounce box white cake mix
- 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 3 large eggs beaten
- Cool whip or whipped cream topping
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Run all three ingredients through a food processor or blender.
- Fill cupcake liners or pan 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- If you like, you can top your cupcakes with whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry.
Latest posts by Amanda Davis (see all)
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Shallots and Candied Pecans - September 21, 2023
- Fried Cabbage - September 18, 2023
- French Martini - September 12, 2023