While I love to bake things from scratch, sometimes there isn’t enough time. And frankly, sometimes I just don’t feel like it. Imagine what it must be like for people who don’t enjoy cooking? That’s exactly why cake mixes were invented. For those that don’t get pleasure from mixing, spreading, filling and baking. For those that are always short on time, and for those that need something in a hurry. And so I give you a delicious and beautiful zucchini muffin recipe from a cake mix.
I used Betty Crocker Vanilla cake mix with pudding in the mix. You can use any vanilla cake mix you like. You can also use that shredded zucchini that you stuck in the freezer from your bountiful fall harvest last year, or simply grab some at the grocery store. Zucchini is available all the time. I’ve thought about growing my own zucchini, but there always seems to be enough to go around. And neighbors are constantly trying to give it away, so I think I’ll just stick with that and the farmer’s market instead. :)
I also used walnuts and golden raisins. You can change that up too by trying pecans, regular raisins or even dried cranberries.
If you make it like I did, you will need the following ingredients for this recipe (there are affiliate links in this post, so if you happen to buy something, any commissions earned go back into this site allowing me to keep bringing you free recipes, so thanks!):
1 heaping cup shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisinsSour Cream Glaze
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extractTools I used:
Large mixing bowlWooden spoon
12-cup muffin pan (though they are about $1.00 less at WalMart compared to Amazon)
And as always, a printable version of this recipe is available at the end of this post.
First preheat your oven to 350 F and grease two 12-cup muffin tins. Start by combining all the cake ingredients in one bowl and mix with wooden spoon.
Divide batter between 12-18 muffin cups (For 18 small muffins fill cups halfway, for 15-16 larger muffins, fill cups 3/4 full). Place muffin tin on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Cool in pan ten minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
Place cooling rack of muffins over a sheet of waxed paper. Whisk together glaze ingredients. Drop one tablespoon of glaze on the top of each muffin and allow glaze to drizzle down. Waxed paper will catch the drips.
Allow glaze to set up before serving.
More recipes using cake mix
I love to doctor up cake mixes and I always have several boxes in my pantry. I’ve hand picked a few of my favorite cake mix recipes below, or you can browse all the cake recipes here, which includes cakes from scratch as well!
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 heaping cup shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 12-cup muffin tins
- Combine all ingredients in one bowl and mix with wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Divide batter between 12-18 muffin cups (For 18 small muffins fill cups halfway, for 15-16 larger muffins, fill cups ¾ full).
- Place muffin tin on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan ten minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
- Place cooling rack of muffins over a sheet of waxed paper. Whisk together glaze ingredients. Drop one tablespoon of glaze on the top of each muffin and allow glaze to drizzle down. Waxed paper will catch the drips. Allow glaze to set up before serving.