I love chicken. My husband, on the other hand, could really live without it. There’s only a select number of chicken recipes that he welcomes with open arms, and that’s even stretching it. When I found this recipe for chicken with garlic and parsley on a blog called All That Splatters I thought it looked delicious and might make it onto hubby’s short list. Well I was right. He took one bite and said, with his mouth full, “Oh that’s good. You can make this again!”
[UPDATE] July 11, 2010: I am updating this recipe for 3 reasons: to include a marvelous gravy that I made the other night, to add new photos, and to give you a printable version. I’ve made this dish MANY times, it can be thrown together in less than 30 minutes, and really, you could use any fresh herb that strikes your fancy. A few that come to mind are rosemary, sage, and thyme. Parsley works so well because of its mild flavor and doesn’t overpower the dish. This is GREAT for one of those nights when you don’t know what to cook. Serve this juicy, tender chicken with some quick cooking rice and steamed veggies. [END UPDATE]
I think one of the reasons this recipe is such a success is the marriage of olive oil and butter and the simplicity of the ingredients needed. What a delicious combination. I have made a few adaptations and they are reflected in the recipe below. Enjoy!
Chicken with Garlic & Parsley: (quick dinner)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (each about 7 ounces), cut into 1- to 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, quartered (optional, serve on the side)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Dry the chicken cubes with paper towels and toss them with the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Trust me, don’t be tempted to ad more flour, the amount mentioned is perfect. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until very hot but not smoking, add the cubed chicken, and cook in one layer, for about 4-5 minutes, this will develop a lovely crust. Turn pieces of chicken and continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the garlic and parsley in a small bowl. Add the butter and the parsley mixture to the skillet and saute for 1 minute longer, shaking the skillet occasionally to coat the chicken. Use a spoon to remove the chicken to a plate, leaving brown bits, extra parsley and garlic in the pan.
For the Gravy
- If there’s a lot of oil in the pan, remove all but about a tablespoon. Most likely you won’t have to remove much. Add the butter and cook over medium heat to melt. Add the flour and mix together, cook for a minute or so, stirring continuously. Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking to combine until all broth has been added. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until gravy has cooked down a bit and thickened. Serve over chicken.