Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

I love Boston Cream Pie, but sometimes making smaller, hand held portions is better. Such is the case when you have kids, and your kids have friends. After all, I’m not cooking and baking for a barrage of guests at a dinner party. What I make satisfies the hunger pangs (or as in this case, the sweet tooth) of those between the ages of 12 and 19. That means not everything has to have sprinkles, nor does it have to be baked with the addition of rum or something exotic. These Boston Cream Cupcakes are a perfect middle ground that satisfies both kids and adults alike.

While these perfect little cakes are great for portion control, be careful. You might find yourself indulging in more than just one! The cake alone is nothing spectacular, a plain jane of sorts. But when paired with homemade vanilla filling and topped with a decadent chocolate ganache, it’s the perfect cake for the job. Not too sweet and without any competing flavors.

I’ve made these two ways. One with a small amount of filling done through a hole in the top of the cake, and another version with the top sliced off and considerably more filling spread inside. Whether you like a lot or a little, these cupcakes are delicious.

FILLING NOTE: I used my homemade vanilla pudding mix. The recipe is at the bottom of the post linked at left. I measured 1/2 cup of mix and 1 1/2 cups of milk with 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. However, you CAN use a 3-oz package of Cook & Serve vanilla pudding and  1 1/4 cups milk. After cooking, add in 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

I have also provided the measurements below in the filling section to make enough homemade pudding mix for use in this cupcake recipe alone.

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

Filling

3 tablespoons dry milk powder
1/4 cup sugar
pinch salt
3 tablespoons of cornstarch

OR
1/2 cup homemade vanilla pudding mix (recipe toward bottom of linked page)
(or see substitution note above)

plus:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Chocolate Glaze
8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Cupcakes
Heat oven to 350 F and line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until blended.

Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Beat in vanilla extract.

With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until just blended.

Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.

Filling

Whisk together dry filling ingredients or homemade pudding mix and milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Scrape into a bowl; cover surface directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.

Glaze
Place chocolate, sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter until it melts and mixture is smooth. Let cool.

To fill:
Use a cake decorating tip (I used a Wilton 230) to make holes in the cupcakes as shown. Then fill the holes, using the same tip and decorator bag. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon before adding ganache.

Alternatively, for more filling and to appear more like a true Boston Cream Pie, slice the top off of the cupcake and spread about a tablespoon of pudding onto the cake, then replace the top.

The first method of filling is less messy and a better alternative for smaller kids.

Glazing:
Add about a tablespoon or so of ganache to the top of the cupcake. Allow it to spread, add more or help it along by spreading the ganache across the top a bit.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

47 Responses to Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

Deeba PAB says:

These look delightful and quite sensational Amanda. I love how beautiful they are. So is the ceramic platter!

I Like To Cook 222 says:

These are adorable! I love that they are mini! Great photos!

While my (somewhat annoying) family doesn't like cake or frosting, they love Boston Cream Pie, so I'll get they'd love these. They look great!

Marla says:

These look great Amanda – love the plates too!

briarrose says:

I love this cupcake flavor. They look delicious.

Cookin' Canuck says:

These cupcakes look heavenly, Amanda. I like desserts in miniature too, and these fit the bill perfectly.

Maria says:

These look amazing!

claudia lamascolo says:

I have made these and seen others but these are the best ever love the pictures and your recipes! Fabulous!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Loving these little gems! I would take a cupcake version over the full cake anyday!

Visiting from Shabby Chic Cottage…I am loving your blog! I'm Amanda too. These cupcakes look simply decadent! I will have to check out your craft blog as well!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

I love your pictures, especially the first one. And the cupcakes are pretty attractive too. I don't know if I could stop at just one, or two! ;)

alison says:

these look mouth watering…is there anything better than boston cream cake? thanks for sharing…would love for you to link this to fridays unfolded tomorrow at my place…now following.

blessings,

alison
    stuff and nonsense

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper says:

Jeez, do these sound amazing! I am bookmarking this recipe for sure.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING says:

WOW these look wonderful! We are having a CHOCOLATE… CHOCOLATE… and MORE CHOCOLATE linky party over at THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! We would LOVE for you to link up your chocolate recipe.. it's gonna be a really SWEET week, we hope you stop by and link up!

Julie M. says:

I do love a good bite of Boston cream pie and these small versions look perfect! Nice recipe Amanda!

Heather Davis says:

Amanda these are just gorgeous. Even looking at them is killing me! So like the idea of Boston cream pie in a cupcake. Portion control!Unless you eat several of course.

BigBearswife says:

ooo yum! I made a Boston Cream Pie a few weeks ago and it took forever and I wasn't impressed… BUT these look like they take less time and man do they look yummy!!

ClassiclyAmber says:

Oh, these look scrumptious! I first saw something similar to these on Martha Stewart a while back, when she was pushing her new cupcake book. I have been wanting to taste them ever since! Gotta try these!! =-D

Miz Helen says:

Hi Amanda,
    I love Boston Cream Pie, and to put that with a Cupcake is an awesome idea. What a great recipe!
    Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son says:

Sounds wonderful. I love individual cupcakes, they are just the right size.

I hope you'll stop by and share your recipe with my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/24/chocolate-donuts/

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny says:

Oh my yummy goodness. These look amazing! Stopping by from TT&J.

This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing it. I look forward to seeing you at What's On the Menu Wednesday this week. Happy Spring.

Carolyn says:

This is genius! My family loves Boston Creme Pie but I prefer making cupcakes. I can't wait to make these.
    Visiting from Tater Tots and Jello.
    Thanks!

Barbara Bakes says:

I'm certain I couldn't eat just one of these yummy treats!

Jill says:

I made similar ones a while back. Aren't they delicious?! :)

Lisa says:

Yum, those look like the perfect little bites. I'm sure you had a good time eating these. I'd like to invite you to stop by and link them up to Sweets for a Saturday #10. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

Julie says:

Wow! I am the same with you, I love Boston Cream Pies but sometimes it's so much easier to make little ones. Can't wait to try this!

The Farm Girl @ The Farm Girl Recipes

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles says:

I love Boston cream pie, and so does my husband! Can't wait to try it in a cup cake! Looks great!
    ~new follower :)

Judy says:

I am a sucker for Boston Cream Pie/Cream Puff type things and these cupcakes look to die for!!! Thanks for sharing such a tasty looking recipe :)

Leslie says:

Yum!!!

Sue says:

I love these! The chocolate glaze looks sensational.

Erin says:

Your cupcakes look fantastic! I like cupcakes better than a cake because they are easier to serve. So these are perfect!

Elle says:

My kids (and me!) would be all over these! They absolutely love Boston Cream Pie. Will have to try these!

Kim says:

um…wow! These look scrumptious! I can't wait till my next party or kid get together and I will definitely make these!

Kelly says:

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd love it if you would
    link up over at the glitter party! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekly-tues-thurs-link-party.html

Shelby says:

Boston Cream Pie is one of my family favorites! I love this cupcake version!

Chiara says:

Well, first I drooled over your recipe and then I featured it on my Friday Favorites post today. Feel free to grab a featured at Calico and Cupcakes button if you want. Boston Cream Pie is one of my favorites, so this is a must try!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I've been meaning to try Bostom Creme Pie, making them as cupcakes just makes it that much easier!

Marie says:

question about the filling. you say:

Filling

3 tablespoons dry milk powder
    1/4 cup sugar
    pinch salt
    3 tablespoons of cornstarch

OR
    1/2 cup homemade vanilla pudding mix (recipe toward bottom of linked page)
    (or see substitution note above)

plus:
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 tablespoon vanilla

***Does this mean that you need to add the milk and vanilla no matter which filling recipe you choose to do? or you just need to add the milk and vanilla if you're doing your homemade recipe?

Hi Marie! Sorry for the confusion. You will need to add the milk and vanilla to whichever filling mixture you choose :)

Marie says:

it's ok! that's what i thought. just didn't want to mess it up! :) thank you!!!

Lauren says:

So delicious! I love Boston cream pie but sometimes it's a bit overwhelming, making these mini ones should be perfect :)

Shannon says:

so if you used boxed pudding do you follow the directions on the box and then add extra milk? the box calls for 2 cups so you really add 3 1/4 cups?

Hi Shannon, no don't follow the directions on the pudding box. Just use the cook n serve pudding mix and the instructions in this recipe. :)

Lisa says:

I made these a few weeks ago for my hubby's bday and everyone LOVED them!!!!!!!!!!!! sooo good! the chocolate is so rich. we used Lindt semi-sweet. delicious! thanks for sharing the recipe!

Nick says:

Born and raised in Boston and I'm in love with BCP. This is a legendary recipe, making this for my girlfriend's birthday now!

Amy says:

These look great! I am including them in a cupcake round up on my blog…the link is http://sittingatourkitchentable.blogspot.com/2011/07/me-likey-monday.html

Have a great week!