Cherry Hand Pies

February is National Cherry Month and somewhere in the range of February 20th through the 22nd is National Cherry Pie Day. I say somewhere in that range because I wasn’t able to find a source to this special day and there are varying statements as to which day it actually falls on. What I do know is that cherry pie is amazing, especially when you use homemade cherry pie filling from cherries you picked off the tree yourself! Of course, any cherry pie filling works great too, but the satisfaction that I feel when I eat anything using my pie filling is wonderful. After all, it was really the first thing I ever canned!

If you remember, I had a neighbor with a sour cherry tree in his front yard. He was kind enough to let me pick as many cherries as I wanted. I picked, rinsed, pitted, and canned as many as I could and I am still reaping the rewards of those efforts. So fun! I have a few jars left, and a few cherry recipes up my sleeve still.

Here’s a recap of the cherry pie filling recipes I’ve tested so far:
Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
Cherry Pie Squares
Cherry Cheesecake
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Black Forest Brownie Bites

These use fresh sour cherries:
Cherry Almond Cake
Sour Cherry Financiers
Chocolate Almond Topped Cherry Pie

This recipe uses maraschino cherries instead:
Cherry Pecan Bread

And finally, these use dried cherries or cherry flavored Craisins:
Chocolate Fudge Cookies
Homemade Granola

I love those Hostess cherry pies you grab at the gas station or grocery store in a moment of weakness. I really wanted to make some myself, so I experimented using a basic homemade pie dough, my cherry pie filling, and a powdered sugar glaze. They were amazing and I can’t wait to make them again!

One last note: I used the “Good for almost everything pie dough” from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking From My Home to Yours. If you don’t have this book yet, you really should order a copy! Anyway, you can use whatever pie dough you like, but if you don’t have a recipe I have included Dorie’s below.

Cherry Hand Pies

3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 sticks very cold or frozen butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
1/3 cup very cold or frozen shortening, cut into 4 pieces
1/2 cup ice water
cherry pie filling
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup powdered sugar
milk

Put flour, sugar, and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and shortening pieces and pulse several times just until it’s cut in to the flour mixture. Do not over process, you want a mixture that has some pieces the size of peas and some the size of barley. While pulsing the machine on and off, add 6 tablespoons of water gradually. Check the dough, it should stick together when pinched. Add little bits of water at a time if needed to get to this point. Big pieces of butter in the dough are fine.

Remove the dough from the food processor and onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll or pat dough into 5-6″ circles about 1/4″ thick. I made mine a little bit thicker than 1/4″. I also like a heftier crust on my hand pies, so I pinch up the sides a bit as you can see in the photo.

Layer the circles between sheets of parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour, or in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat.

Moisten the edges of the dough circle with water. Spoon cherry pie filling onto one side of the circle, using about 1/4 cup or so. You need enough room around the edges to seal the hand pie, so be careful not to use too much.

Fold the other half of the dough circle over the filling and press the half circle edges firmly together.  Starting at the right side, turn the edge over to form a crimp.  Repeat this process all along the edge. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges.

Brush the pastry lightly with the beaten egg to help them brown. Use a sharp knife to cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.

Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Make a glaze from powdered sugar and a little milk and brush onto hand pies.

Let glaze set and enjoy!

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

37 Responses to Cherry Hand Pies

Flourchild says:

Oh Amanda these look incredible! I love your pictures and the plates are beautiful! My husband is a cherry pie lover and Im very interested in trying your recipes! Thank you for the rewind receips you have made! How neat you canned all those cherries from your neighbors tree!

Yum! I would love these and they would be dangerous for me. BUT, I think the rest of the fam would love them, too. Why is Feb. cherry month when cherries aren't available? sigh

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Amanda – I remember when you were canning all those cherries! All that work is so worth it now when you can have something so delicious as these hand pies. They look terrific!

Chef E says:

This is something I grew up with, well apricot versions, but now I want to make some in honor of you and mom. My grandmother loved full on cherry pie, maybe I will revisit them again…

Avril says:

I am on the edge of my seat with excitment and yumminess over your sweet Cherry Hand Pies!!!! I just LOVE anything made with cherries! And my goodness you actually hand picked and canned cherries?! – I'm jealous and SO impressed! I will so be making these little treasures soon….and I can't wait to try that pie dough recipe! :-)

Sue says:

Wow, I love hand pies Amanda, and these are the most beautiful I've ever seen! I will be making these very SOON! Thanks for the recipe; they look DELICIOUS!

Barb, sfo says:

Oh YUM!!!! I too love the Hostess pies. Great that I can now make my own. Thanks for this recipe!

sarah says:

These look amazing. I am curious if anyone has frozen the pies – either before baking or par-baking or after baking. Thanks.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Ah Amanda those look amazing. I need to whip these up too. How long does your pie filling stay, frozen?

Buckeye Mom says:

Amanda,
    My oldest son is a huge cherry pie fan and I was planning make some sort of cherry dessert on Monday for President's Day. My grandmother used to always bake a cherry pie on Washington's birthday when I was a kid. I'm going to cheat though and use a can of store bought pie filling. Thanks for giving me the great idea and I love those red/white plates! I'll be sure to link back to your site when I post on my blog about my own cherry fry pies (that's what they are called here in central Ohio by the local Mennonite ladies).

@Flourchild – I'm with your husband in loving cherry pie! Have ever since I was a kid :)

@Katrina – I was thinking it might have to do with Washington's birthday?

@Lana – How right you are! Still enjoying your pickle recipe I canned as well :)

@ChefE – Hope you try them, they are delish :)

@Avril – Thanks for your kind words, hope you get to try them!

@Sue – Awww! Thanks, that is SO nice of you!

@Barb – I'm with you Barb, love the Hostess, but loving my own better :)

@Sarah – haven't tried freezing them myself. I would imagine that any instructions for freezing a full pie would work just as well!

@Avanika – My cherry pie filling is canned in canning jars, not frozen. :)

@BuckeyeMom – Oh yes, fry pies! Definitely heard that term, those are deep fried though. I went with baking, not sure if you'd have to do something different with this to fry them though.

Thanks everyone!

Cookin' Canuck says:

I am crust-challenged, but I think I could handle these cute pies. My family would be thrilled. Thanks for a fun recipe.

Marie says:

Those look very, very delicious Amanda! Now I wish I had some cherries!

Beansieleigh says:

Oh my gosh, these looks SO-ooo YUMMO, G-Double O-D GOOD! Funny, I was thinking about doing pies this week, but I was leaning towards maybe apple. I used to love canning too.. I miss it, but still have all my supplies, for if and when I can find a good deal on any large quantity of fruits sometime.. somewhere.. Anyways, even if I have to use the canned filling, these look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe, and hope you're enjoying your weekend! ~tina

marla says:

Amanda, thanks for all of these cherry delights. Love seeing this favorite fruit highlighted!

Kudos Kitchen says:

Amanda these look so yummy! You're a lucky girl to have been able to pick your own cherries. Sounds like such fun but a great deal of work also. I can't imagine pitting all those cherries by hand. It looks like all your hard work and effort were worth it though. These are stunning! I stumbled this post too.

gipsiwriter says:

Oh wow, those look incredible! Those will be a must try. I can already see the looks of surprise when the kids open their lunch boxes and find these!

Ladybird Ln says:

These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing! I have a freezer full of pitted cherry pie cherries, and I will have to give these a try.

ladybirdln.blogspot.com

Meaghan Luby says:

to say this looks delicious would be an understatement. thanks for sharing- cherries are always exceptional and yours look steps above that :)
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com

JennyP says:

Those pies are adorable and that you made the filling just makes them that much more special. I actually had turnovers on my list of things to do today, but sadly, I'll be using commercial blackberry and/or apple filling. I actually have a huge sour cherry tree in my yard, but my cherries are not as big as yours. I usually let the birds have them, but I think this year, I will try canning some. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shelby says:

Cherry is about my very favorite pie filling…with Blueberry being right in close proximity! I love these hand pies Amanda!

Leslie says:

AMAZING Amanda. I wish I has a neighbor with a yummy sour cherry tree!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

I so want to make these! I have been thinking about making my own Hostess pies for awhile. I used to love them when I was a kid!

Natalie says:

Oh my gosh, these look FABULOUS!!! I am making these for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Andria says:

Oh how I want one of those right now!! They look divine, thanks for sharing. I found you through Tasty Tuesdays.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING says:

We are having a "CHERRY" theme this week on THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! We'd love for you to come on over and link up this fabulous "cherry" recipe!

And next week is "kid-friendly recipes"

Ann says:

YUM!!! My mouth is watering….

Ann from On Sutton Place says:

Hi! I found you at Show and Tell Friday and what a find! I can't wait to look around your blog. If these pies are any indication I will not be disappointed. I'm following you now and I'm adding you to my blog roll so I can keep up with your new posts. Stop by my blog when you have time. Nice to meet you!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son says:

I'm drooling just looking at these! Yum.

I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

Megan @ Polish The Stars.com says:

Those look delicious! :) Visiting from TT&J.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home says:

What a brilliant idea, my husband would love these! We've picked cherries, too, in Traverse City, MI, that made some wicked good pies.

I Like To Cook 222 says:

Love these pies! So cute!

Charlene says:

I just found you through Cindy at My Romantic Home & these cherry goodies… YUM. I LOVE this & want to try it. I think I'm your newest Follower! Thanks for sharing.
    Charlene

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) says:

Those look sooo good! I love fresh cherries. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ms.Amanda thanks for the recipe. I am from the Philippines and cherries are hard to come by here; but I'm sure that mango or pineapple preserves would be equally delicious.

Saturday Stumbles May 7 | veggieconverter.com says:

[...] Cherry Hand Pies – Amanda’s Cookin: Wow, tiny fruit pies without all the icky preservatives. Yum. [...]

Laura says:

They look yummy! I’m from Spain and I found your blog when I was looking for american recipes (just to discover if the USA’s food is as bad as europe thinks). Visiting your blog and this dessert, I’ll change my mind. Xoxo