Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting

I am always on the look out for recipes using cherry pie filling. Last summer I canned some sour cherries for the first time and have quite a few jars left of the homemade cherry pie filling I made. I have always loved cherries, ever since I was a kid. Whether it was fresh sweet cherries straight from the bag or cherry pie desserts, didn’t matter to me. So when I found this cherry cake recipe I knew I had to try it.

I found the original recipe on Cheryl’s site, TidyMom. Hers uses a vanilla buttercream frosting that is topped with cherries and the instructions state to bake it in a heart shaped pan, hence the name Sweetheart Cherry Cake. I didn’t adjust the cake recipe itself, but I did make a cream cheese frosting instead of the buttercream and baked it in a 13×9 pan.

This has a marvelous cherry and almond flavor, absolutely delicious! If you are a cherry lover you really need to try this cake. I think it would be equally marvelous if you added chocolate chips, or better yet, bittersweet chocolate chunks to the cake and topped it with a chocolate ganache. Oh my!

Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from Sweetheart Cherry Cake

1 box white cake mix
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 (21 oz) can homemade cherry pie filling (or canned), divided

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray or lightly grease 13 x 9 baking pan.

Measure 1/3 cup of cherry pie filling and set aside to use in frosting.

Mix together on medium speed, dry cake mix, eggs, baking powder, both extracts, and remaining cherry pie filling until well blended.

Pour batter into pan, and level with a spatula.

Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely in pan.

Frost with cherry cream cheese frosting.

Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting

2 8-oz packages of cream cheese
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/3 cup cherry pie filling
2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Soften the cream cheese and butter, but don’t let it get warm, just take the chill off. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Add in the cherry pie filling and extracts and beat for a minute or two until cherries are broken into small pieces. Slowly add the powdered sugar until completely combined and of spreading consistency. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

51 Responses to Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting

Melanie says:

YUMMY!!!!!! I should NOT have looked at this right before lunch, because now I could eat a HORSE! :)

Hoep you have a great day!
    Melanie

Man I wish my family liked cake! (I guess it's better for me that they don't), but that doesn't stop me from making other treats.
    I'd personally love the cake. sigh

Alessio says:

Lookin good Amanda! And the rectangular baking pan makes everything so homey :D Hand me a slice plzzzz
    By the way, Germans are also crazy about sour cherries. Usually they use preserved one, thickened on the fire with some cornstarch and poured over vanilla ice-cream or waffles. I think, I prefer your cake idea ;)

Meaghan Luby says:

this looks SO SO SO good!
    i love the simplicity, ha, that's the name of the game for me. but the delicious doesn't seem to be lacking in this recipe at all! thanks for sharing!!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Cajun Chef Ryan says:

Great cherry cake recipe, and the frosting…oh my!

Cookin' Canuck says:

That frosting would never make it to the cake. I would have to like every morsel off of the spatula.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

You had me at "cream cheese." Seriously, anything involving cream cheese gets my immediate attention. And then to combine it with cherries – oh, wow!!

Deeba PAB says:

I love anything cherry, and now wish I had some cherry pie filling stashed away too Amanda. It's a 'cherry on a cake' cake!!

marla says:

Your cherry cake is so pretty & pink. I baked up some treats with cherries this week too, love 'em :)

Marie says:

That looks fabulous Amanda!! If it only tastes half as good as it looks, I am betting it is pretty wonderful! xxoo

This looks so delicious Amanda…definitely my kind of cake. Love cherry pie filling!!

Pattypro says:

This is a variation of one that I've been making for almost 25 years, that uses a chocolate cake mix, and is topped with a fudge-like frosting. I also love anything "cherry," so will have to give this a try. So glad you used a cream cheese frosting instead of buttercream!

Tasty Eats At Home says:

Amanda, this sounds so good!

Barbara Bakes says:

The cherry cream cheese frosting is a brilliant addition!

Lauren at KeepItSweet says:

I just love the color you get from this cake! So nice and easy, too:-)

Christina @ It's a Keeper says:

Hi! I host a weekly blog hop — It's a Keeper Thursdays. I'd love for you to stop by and link up!

Thanks!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper

Tammy says:

I love your blog…so fun to follow and yummy recipes to try! I started a new food blog, come visit me, press on my name, or it is daybydaysunshine.blogspot.com

Jessica says:

I love the color of this cake! It would have been the perfect addition to Valentine's Day! :-)

TidyMom says:

oooh, I bet it's really yummy with the cherry cream cheese frosting!!

I think I need to make this again!!

Thanks for linking up Amanda!

fitty's pinky rose cottage says:

i see yummy! the frosting looks is so tempting! love it!

Leslie says:

This cake has the most amazing color!!!!! Sounds divine with the cherry and almond flavors

The Lucky Wife says:

This sounds SO scrumptious! I love cherries and definitely want to try this one. I'd like to invite you to share it at Foodie Friday also. If you don't get to it before it closes, the event is moving to Mondays starting with this Monday (Meet a Food-"e"-Friend Monday). I found this at the Show and Tell Party. These parties are so much fun.

Ani says:

Ooh, this looks great! I wonder if I could make cupcakes ??? That sounds great! Thanks for a great idea.

@Ani – Oh absolutely! just adjust the baking time. I would start checking at 20-25 minutes but it may take 30-35.

SnoWhite says:

Wow — what a great dessert — my husband and I will love it.

Tessa says:

I wish I had the homemade canned cherries that you do! This looks great!

Prairie Patch says:

I'm totally drooling now! I even have all the ingredients. Looks like I'll be making it this week. :)

Cheers,
    Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING says:

We are having a "CHERRY" theme this week on THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! We'd love for you to come on over and link up this fabulous "cherry" recipe!

And next week is "kid-friendly recipes"

SnoWhite says:

We tried this out tonight — it's excellent; although the frosting was more the consistency of yogurt…!

SnoWhite – Sorry your icing was thin. Next time, simply add more powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Sweet as Coco says:

YUM YUM YUM!! Just what I was looking for!!!

Pattypro says:

I make a chocolate covered cherry cake…chocolate cake mix, 3 eggs, cherry pie filling, almond extract, topped with a fudgy frosting. I think your cream cheese frosting would be a delicious contrast.

What a sweet cake! Would be great for Valentine’s or a sweet 16 or a shower! I agree it would be fantastic also with chocolate chunks and/or chocolate ganache! Thanks…bookmarked!

Rachel says:

I made this cake today. I added 1 cup chocolate chips. It turned out so differently from your pictures. Mine is heavy, overly moist, and overly sugary. It hurts my teeth to eat it and I’m trying to think who I can pawn it off on. The frosting is it’s saving grace. The frosting is DELICIOUS.

• 34.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

aww I’m sorry Rachel! I know other people who have made it without problems, I’m sorry it didn’t work for you!

Nancy says:

My hubby wanted a cherry cake for his birthday tomorrow. I made this cake tonight and it smells awesome. The frosting tastes sooooo yummy. I can’t wait to dig in tomorrow.

Rose says:

I made this as cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday today. Everybody loved them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• 36.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Glad you enjoyed them!

• Rose says:

I used this recipe, once again, to make a Valentine’s Day/birthday cake for my sister-in-law. Only I baked it in heart-shaped pans, and added chocolate-cherry ganache, and chocolate dipped maraschino cherries. Is there any way to send you a photo of the cake? It is kind of messy, but it was really yummy. Thanks again for the recipe.

[...] 9. Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting [...]

Serving Up Sunshine says:

[...] extra simple. I scoured the web looking for inspiration for a cherry cake and I kept coming back to this cherry cake on Amanda’s Cookin. It just looked yummy and simple. I made a few discoveries and modifications along the way. I [...]

[...] a recap of the cherry pie filling recipes I’ve tested so far: Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting Cherry Pie Squares Cherry Cheesecake Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Black Forest Brownie [...]

Rebekah says:

In May I made just the frosting for this cake but instead of cherries I used blueberries, it was the best! Everyone kept telling me how great it was! In June I made the cherry cake and frosting, I’m not a fan on cherry but I loved it! Today I’m making my mom’s birthday cake, but I’m using blueberry! I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for the recipe :)

Bekah

Lisa says:

At my four year old daughters request for a cherry cake, I stumbled upon your blog. Thank You for sharing this recipe, and in such a tasteful way. Just looking at your design and then the cake pics inspired me to go ahead and buy the ingredients right there in the store. By the way, the cake is covered with marshmallow fondant right this minute and is ready for Andi’s 5th Birthday party tomorrow! (Too bad the marsh fondant is too thin) but as long as my girl is happy, Mama’s happy! My family is in for a treat tomorrow!

CakeGirl819 says:

OMFG! YOU HAVE TO BE MY SISTER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER! I cannot wait to make this, this is destine to be my “signiture” cake (not stealing it just will be making one monthly). These are my absolute fav flavors and is just what I was looking for as a cheesecake alternative. I get real “cakey” in the fall/winter months, it looks pretty easy to prepare.
    Thanks again, I’m sure it’s awesome!

Mindy says:

Question? Why did you chose to leave out any form of fat in this recipe? Just curious.