Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes

Creamsicles, also affectionately known as Dreamsicles, are orange flavored popsicles with a creamy vanilla center. They are creamy, dreamy deliciousness. In fact, one of my all time favorites is the Weight Watchers Orange Sorbet bar, holy-amazingness! So when I saw this recipe come through an email recipe group I’m on I was all over it. I did some googling and boy are there a lot of different Creamsicle Cupcake recipes out there! This one is pretty dang amazing, and the frosting tastes just like the ice cream bars we all know and love.

I did eventually find this exact recipe on the web. No credit had been given through the recipe email group, which is common, so I ended up having to put part of the ingredient list into the search to find it. Why bother? Because I have a strong belief that you should always give credit where credit is due. Someone developed this recipe, so they should be credited for it. Just because it came nameless, doesn’t mean I (or anyone else for that matter) can claim it as my own. But I digress.

The original recipe is from Woman’s Day and it’s dated March 10, 2010. There’s actually another recipe on their site by the same name dated from September of 2006, but it’s not the same recipe. Here’s the original recipe from Woman’s Day, I adapted mine a little and am giving it to you with my changes.

These were quite popular in this house. In fact, my husband said out loud, and I quote “Man, these are good”. Might not seem like a big deal to you, but believe me, it is. :) Try them, you’ll like them!

My Notes: I used vanilla sugar because I had some waiting in the cabinet. You can use regular granulated sugar as that’s what the original recipe called for anyway. Also, the frosting calls for orange paste food coloring. You can skip it as it’s for aesthetics only, I used it in mine. All you need to do is stick a toothpick in the food coloring, what comes out is all you will need.

Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
adapted from Woman’s Day

Orange Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp each baking powder, baking soda and salt
3 large eggs
1 cup vanilla sugar
2 tablespoons grated orange zest (I used tangerine as that’s what I had)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoons orange extract
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk

Orange Cream Frosting
1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (again, I used tangerine)
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Orange paste food color (optional)

Garnish ideas:
non-pareils, chocolate curls, white sprinkles, or strips of orange peel

Heat oven to 350 F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, 1 cup of sugar, the baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended.

In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs, orange zest, vanilla, and orange extract until blended. Beat in 1 cup vanilla sugar. Beat in oil, then buttermilk, until blended.

On low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.

Bake 25 to 28 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

For the Frosting
Beat cream cheese, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest in a medium bowl with mixer on low speed to blend. Add confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time and beat until fluffy. Beat in orange food color (if using) until light orange. Refrigerate until firm enough to spread.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

41 Responses to Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes

Frieda says:

Kudos to you for finding the original recipe and giving credit! Thanks for sharing the recipe ~

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Oh, man, I love those orange creamsicles! I could eat a half a box of them without even slowing down. So, if these cupcakes are anywhere near the same flavors as the creamsicles they're going to be a huge winner in this house!

Mmm, they look good! I'd want one with the chocolate sprinkles! Even more unbelievable would be to hear MY husband say, "Man, these are good", since he doesn't like cake or frosting. (I know, I married a crazy one!)

Jennifurla says:

They sounds lovely, and would be a great flavor to have at a party.

Rene says:

Orange/Creme is one of my favorite flavor combinations! I believe the flavor combination is also called a 50/50 :).

Tami says:

They look amazing, Amanda! I'm sure everyone here would love these. Creamsicles are a family fav here in this house!

Barb, sfo says:

Those look delicious! I think I've found my husband's birthday cake for this year. He loves creamsicles! Thanks for the recipe, and for backtracking to the original source :)

Maria says:

Love these! Such a fun cupcake!

These will be a big hit and I plan on taking them to my church for our monthly dinner. I also make Orange Creamsicle Fudge…out of this world. Thanks for the recipe.
    Martha from Illinois

briarrose says:

Fabulous cupcake flavor! I adore orange creamsicles. It's just one of those nostalgia foods for me. ;)

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 says:

I also adore orange creamsicles. Great recipe…can't wait to try it!

marla says:

This is such a fun idea for cupcakes – love creamsicles & even better all baked up :) xo

Leslie says:

You are the recipe hunter!!!! Yummy cupcakes

MaryBeth says:

Oh how I wish I had some of these…they look amazing.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

These look amazing!! It's awesome that you actually went to all those efforts to find the source!

Julie says:

Oh I love orange creamsicle! Thanks for sharing.

The Farm Girl

thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com

HoosierHomemade says:

Love Creamsicles!And your cupcakes are beautiful!
    I'd love for you to join us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

alissa says:

These look delicious and are so pretty too! Thanks for linking up with Tasty Tuesdays.
    Alissa

Krafty Kat says:

MMMM..I love creamsicles!

maleahbliss says:

Yum! Those sound so good! <3 I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
    LittleEme.blogspot.com

Madigan at madiganmade says:

Love orange creamsicle anything! These sound awesome & I shared them on my Facebook page.

Deeba PAB says:

How absolutely yum these look Amanda…and the brick of cheese in the topping…nom nom nom! I WANT!!

I was on Stumble and it brought this receipe up. I've made three batches in two weeks and have been asked for the receipe several times. Wow – these are so incredibly yummy. Thank you so much!

Nic :) says:

Seriously they look so scrummy!
    thanks for sharing, will be trying these very soon as I have a meet up with some friends next month – and i have been instructed to bring cupcakes!
    these are a perfect idea! Thanks! x

Ooooh, this is the second blog tonight I've been to that had a version of creamsicles in cupcake form. It's a sign! A good one to because I've had a serious hankering for orange lately.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

These look amazing! Orange creamsicle is the best flavor ever!

Modern Day Crafts says:

Hi Amanda! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!! I had to try them this weekend for a "sophisticated" birthday treat. I added fresh raspberry buttercream frosting to give it even more of a summery taste!!! IT WAS so DELICIOUS I had to stop by and say thanks… check out some pics on my blog. :)

keepsmeoutofmischief says:

They look great! Loving your idea of using a toothpick to get just the right amount of colouring.

Michelle says:

These cupcakes are SO delicious!! I made them and blogged about them here: http://littlethingsxoxo.blogspot.com/2011/06/orange-creamsicle-cupcakes.html

I will probably make them again before the summer is over!

azmommyto3 says:

I made these today with my daughters and they were very yummy! I do feel like they are kind of heavy though, so go easy on eating them :) :)

Tiffani says:

Do you think that these cupcakes would be good with a filling? I really want to try this recipe but I also want to make a filled cupcake.

• 31.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Sure! Everything’s better with filling heehee

• 31.2
      Rose says:

Tiffani, did you try with a filling? I was looking for a recipe similar to a cupcake made at one of our local cupcake shops. It was an orange cupcake with orange cream cheese frosting, but it also had a bit of vanilla filling. I think I will try that for these cupcakes sometime.

My daughter loved this recipe. She thought it was actually better than my favorite cupcake shop orange cupcake. I personally think that the frosting recipe needs to yield more, so I will likely double the frosting recipe next time.

Jean says:

After a morning coffee discussion about creamsicles, I sent a bunch of creamsicle cupcake recipes to a member of our group and she took the one off the top (yours). She made them for her son for his birthday and brought us the excess–what a delicious morning coffee treat. I am going to try this into cakeballs for our Relay for Life fundraiser. Thank you.

Michelle says:

I just wanted to say great recipe! I made these for bake sale recently and people really enjoyed them. I didn’t have quite enough zest so I added a bit more extract but it still turned out great I thought. I also filled my cupcakes with orange curd and decorated with candy orange slices. The frosting was spot on, exactly like a creamsicle. I agree with others though that I had to make double the recipe to ice my cupcakes. I also thought it was a little soft, even after chilling.Either way, excellent!

Rosemary says:

is vanilla sugar made with granulated or powdered sugar

lpease help me soon

[…] Monsters University Push-Pop Cupcakes Nibby Cream Cheese Brownie Cupcakes On Top of Ole Cupcake Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes Orange Cream-filled Cupcakes Oz Inspired Cupcake Peach Cobbler Cupcakes Peanut Butter & Jelly […]