Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins

This week I decided to make my recipe early for Tuesdays with Dorie. So Friday morning I set out to baking. I’m not much of a pumpkin fan, at least not pumpkin pie, too dense and TOO much pumpkin flavor for me. I do enjoy pumpkin cheesecake and some other pumpkin treats, and there are definitely others in my house who do, so I decided to give it a go.

I really am glad that I did! This recipe is truly delicious. It called for nuts, which I like but no one else in this house does (ugh) so I switched out the nuts for milk chocolate chips. It also called for sunflower seeds to decorate the tops. I KNEW if I did that no one would eat them (except for me and my hips are big enough thank you very much) so I eliminated that step. That left them a little naked, so to jazz them up a little, I dotted a few extra chips on the tops of half of them, and drizzled melted almond bark on the other half. YUM!!

The recipe called for baking these for 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven. I felt that was too high and worried they would burn, so I dropped the temp to 375. I checked them after 20 minutes and they were still a little underdone. 5 more minutes did the trick and they are wonderful. I was going to make my Cinnamon Butter with this, however the addition of the chocolate chips eliminated any need for additional toppings or spreads. Not to say this wouldn’t be divine heated up with a bit of butter, yummy!

This week’s TWD recipe, Pumpkin Muffins, was chosen by Kelly of Sounding My Barbaric Gulp. Visit her blog if you would like to get the recipe! :) To see how other TWD bakers faired on this recipe, check out the blogroll!

35 Responses to Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins

HoneyB says:

These look awesome! Great photos and those muffins, well they look like they belong on a bakery shelf!

They look great. I especially like the chocolate chips. Chocolate and pumpkin are great together!

lusciousfood.com says:

CINNAMON BUTTER??????!!!! that is a brilliant idea. seriously.

chocolatechic says:

Cinnamon butter sounds divine.

n.o.e says:

I love the way your muffins look with the autumn trees behind – I use my deck rail for photography also! I’m so glad these were a hit with you – isn’t it nice to be (pleasantly) surprised by a TWD recipe? Great job.
    Nancy

Kimberly Johnson says:

Beautiful muffins!

Anne says:

Wow- beautiful photos and I love the chocolate. Your muffins amazing, great job!

Candy says:

I think my family would have preferred chocolate. They are looking forward to next week!

Maria says:

The chocolate drizzle is killing me. I want one now!

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ says:

Weren’t these just scrumptious? I just had one for breakfast. I love your substitutions and will try the chocolate chips next time with some craisins. I didn’t drop the temp, but did drop the cooking time as they were done long before 25 minutes.

Tami says:

Your pictures are so nice! The chocolate drizzled muffins are calling my name this morning. :)

Jamie says:

Those muffins look amazing! I am a sucker for a drizzle!

Lisa says:

I love the way the chocolate is swirled on top.

Cathy says:

These look gorgeous! I’ll take the chocolate-for-nuts swap any day of the week. I was thinking that this would be a good pumpkin recipe for folks kind of ambivalent about pumpkin — the flavors were pretty mild. Glad that you enjoyed them!

The Blonde Duck says:

I wanted to make pumpkin muffins this weekend! :) It looks like ya’ll beat me to it!

Flourchild says:

I think your muffins are the best looking I’ve seen yet. I love your chocolate designs! SO glad you liked them too!

Dulzura Magica says:

They look delicious, I would add both the choco chips and the nuts. I know that wil certainly get me in trouble with my jeans!!!

Jules Someone says:

Those look so good that even I, someone who doesn’t like pumpkin, might eat one.

I love pumpkin and these sound so good with cinnamon (or maybe maple)butter. I love how you decorated the top with chocolate and I could see how they would be good with chips, BUT you sold me on the butter. It’s better with butta!!!

Prudy says:

Wow Amanda! Holy yum! Especially the lattice chocolate drizzle.

Bunny says:

WoW! These look great Amanda, and your pictures show them off very nicely!

TeaLady says:

I love the chocolate drizzle. What a way to dress up the muffins. They look really tasty. Great job.

Erin says:

These look great! I love the addition of chocolate!

Peggy says:

I love that you think chocolate drizzle or chips are better for our hips than the nuts! I laughed out loud. I love both of them and would not be able to decide between them. Your muffins look fantastic, as always.

The Food Librarian says:

So so cute! I love the chocolate drizzle!

Marie says:

Your muffins look fantastic Amanda! I thought about using chocolate chips, but then didn’t. I bet they tasted wonderful! Love, LOVE the chocolate drizzle!

SiHaN says:

that platter of muffins sure looks inviting. and the cinammon butter sounds divine.. *drools*

Andrea says:

Thanks for visiting my blog! This is my first time to yours and I love it, everything looks delicious and you have me craving cheddar muffins! Your pumpkin muffins look so perfect, they could be an advertisement out of a fancy foods magazine. I love the chocolate pumpkin combo and the drizzle looks so sophisticated. I really love pumpkin cheesecake but am also not a huge fan of pumpkin pie. My husband on the other hand loves pumpkin pie but won’t touch pumpkin cheesecake, so I completely understand about picky people in your household :)

Passionate Baker says:

yummmm, your muffins look great!!
    great job!

AmyRuth says:

Way smart lady, like you, I consider what others in the house or out will eat when I bake. This time it was easy to please everyone by splitting up the choices. Fun Fun. I’m sure your family enjoyed your festive and yummy pumpkin/chocolate muffins. I would.
    AmyRuth

Casasailer says:

I bet adding chocolate was the way to go! I also subbed plain yogurt for the buttermilk since that is what I had and I think that leant to them being a little dense.

Amber says:

I love how the chocolate designs remind me of a party. But I do not understand how people can not like nuts? I just bought Dories book for $9.99 at Ross so I plan to join this week.
    And cinnamon butter? Now I am going back for that. Thanks.

Marthe says:

Lovely muffins and great pictures!!

Di says:

Nice job on the muffins–I love the chocolate drizzled on top. We had chocolate chips in some of our muffins, too, and my girls really liked them.

[...] seeds. We made these muffins 2 years ago in the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group. I made mine into pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and those were amazing as [...]