To Die for Pot Roast

This is a slow cooker recipe I found on FC and have made it several times, each time with raving reviews. The gravy from this is awesome. A definite keeper! You can use any kind of roast you like, chuck, round, etc.

To Die For Pot Roast

any 3-4 pound beef roast
1 can of beef gravy
I package of dry italian dressing
1 package dry ranch dressing
3/4 cup water
1 large onion, sliced

Line bottom of slow cooker with sliced onions. Place roast on top of bed of onions.

In a bowl, mix together dry mixes and the water, use a whisk to blend. Add gravy and mix. Pour entire mixture over roast and cook on low 8-10 hours.

To make gravy, remove 1.5 cups of the liquid from the slow cooker when roast is done and put into a small saucepan. Place 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid from the saucepan and mix with cornstarch until smooth. Add this mixture back into the remaining juice in the saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened.

Serve with boiled potatoes, gravy and crusty bread.

17 Responses to To Die for Pot Roast

Pam says:

I love a good pot roast – especially on a rainy cold day. This looks and sounds divine!

I like the idea of using the two different gravy mixes. I will have to try that. It sounds great!

I thought the two seasoning packets sounded odd the first time I tried it, but the flavor in the gravy really is delicious. In fact I save leftover gravy to use with other meals as well :)

TNelson says:

This looks delightful. I’m a huge fan of pot roast. It was one of my mother’s favorite Sunday dinners. My husband and I were just talking this morning about finding some good Crock Pot recipes so dinner will be ready when we get home from work. I’ve saved this one and I bet it will be on the menu later this week. Thanks!

Trish

Candy says:

Wow! I can taste this from here. Looks delicious!

The Blonde Duck says:

Whee doggies! I love this. I’ve got a freezer full of beef to cook, and this looks like a great way to make the roast! I’ve been having a lot of trouble lately with roasts that are too fatty or dry.

Maria says:

A great meal for Sunday…we had that a lot growing up! Now I don’t eat meat but I am sure it is tasty:)

Elle says:

Ok, I was craving lasagna and you made some. I’ve been craving pot roast and you made one. (Looks delicious, by the way!) What can I crave next that you’ll make? Something complicated…hmmm…

Beef Wellington! There, I craved it, the rest is up to you, lol!

TNelson says:

Update – We had this for dinner last night – we put it into the crock pot about 7:00 AM before we went to work and it went together in about 5 minutes. Coming home at the end of the day the fragrance was wonderful and it tasted even better than it smelled! We ate at about 7:30 PM and it was nice and tender – not over cooked. Served with mashed potatoes and green beans – a real “blue-plate” special. Thanks for a wonderful recipe Amanda this will be in our meal rotation all fall and winter. We have plenty left over for hot roast beef sandwiches later in the week.
    Thanks again!
    Trish
    Omaha, Ne

Trish that’s wonderful! Hope you made some gravy out of the juices for your mashed potatoes. I actually used the leftover gravy on my salisbury steaks night before last :) Posting those today. So glad you enjoyed the roast!

Rachelle says:

This sounds delish, I have seen this recipe before but now I have added to my files to make. I usually make one with a cream soup added that makes it’s own gravy.
    I think I’ll add in some carrots too :)

Sue says:

Mmmm, it looks so tender, juicy and yummy!

karissas30daysoftruth says:

I was wondering if you could add potatoes and carrots on top at the beginning so that they soak of the flavor as well??

Karissa – Absolutely!

Tara says:

I’ve used this recipe several times and it’s always a hit with my family. Thanks for sharing it!