Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

I have this wonderful Taste of Home Cookbook, full of great kitchen tested recipes. I decided to try the Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from pg. 514. This will also be my submission for Bookmarked Recipes this week :)

This is very good, I’ve kept it in the fridge and had a piece each morning for the last few days LOL.

MY NOTES:

1) The instructions say to take the crust batter and “press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan”…. What the don’t tell you is that this is a very sticky batter this will tick you off while trying to “press” (right!) it into the pan. I will most likely make this again, so next time I will use latex gloves. What a mess!

2) I had two small, half empty jars of blackberry and blueberry jam in the fridge. So I used cherry pie filling on one third, and the jams on the other two thirds. The cherry pie filling set great, the blueberry set pretty well, the blackberry soaked through the cheesecake portion. It still tasted good, but wasn’t as pretty. Maybe next time I will some blueberry and other pie fillings to try :)

3) The crust is rather thick at the outer edge. It’s tasty though, but I would probably try to make that a little thinner next time by “pressing” (HA!) more onto the bottom than the sides.

4) This should definitely be chilled in the fridge before serving the first slice.

Well here it is, quite tasty, a definitely keeper!

Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract

FILLING:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling (see note above)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (I didn’t use these)

In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup crumb mixture. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to remaining crumb mixture. Stir in the egg, sour cream and almond extract until blended. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan with removable bottom.

For filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar for 1 minute. Add egg; beat just until combined. Spread over crust. Carefully top with pie filling. Sprinkle with almonds and reserved crumb mixture.

Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-10 servings.

27 Responses to Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

The Blonde Duck says:

This looks wonderful! I’ll have to send this to my mother. She LOVES cherries.

And I haven’t forgotten to send you the cinnamon roll recipe. My parents were down all day yesterday so I didn’t get a chance! I’ll have it sent to you after work today! :) I’ll have to make them again after we get back from Shreveport–Ben’s dying without them! He ate the last one from the freezer last night.

Maria says:

The cake looks amazing!! I love the topping!
    Glad you found the cinna chips! They are so good in everything!

Lisa magicsprinkles says:

This looks so beautiful! The fact that it was tasty too, well, that makes it even better.

Elle says:

I don’t believe you one bit when you say this was messy to start with, because it’s freaking gorgeous! My daughter walked by and said “Can you make that, please? PLEASE??”

How can I say no?

Jacque says:

Oh my goodness, does that ever look good! I like that you changed up the fruits… like three desserts in one.

The cake looks wonderful. A cream cheese coffee cake just sounds perfect to me right now! Thanks for adding me to your blog list, I have also added you to mine!

Cathy says:

This looks wonderful! It would make a great dessert, but since it’s a coffee cake, I won’t feel a bit guilty having mine for breakfast!

SiHaN says:

oh wow.. *stares in awe* i just love the photo with the stunning red cherries oozing out from the sides.. beautiful!

Tami says:

HELLO! This looks absolutely decadent! So this is what you’ve been doing when you’re not out watching the snowflakes fly! LOL!!

Oh, this is calling my name!!

Andrea says:

I have that book and have been eyeing this recipe, it looks so delicious and your photos make it look even more so. I need an event to make it for though…hubby isn’t a cream cheese fan and I’d feel too guilty making this for just the kids and myself…maybe when those holiday open houses roll around I will get to give this a try. Thanks for sharing your tips!

smörgåsbroad says:

that looks so fantabulous. not sure i could convince myself to eat it for breakfast though…HA who am i kidding?

Lucy says:

WOW!!! That looks delish!!!

Pam says:

This looks amazing Amanda! I love, love, love this recipe.

Patsyk says:

What a wonderful treat! I love that you had it for breakfast, too! You’re my kind of cook!

Ruth E says:

This looks delicous! Love the idea of the 3 different berries in this.

Thanks for sending this into the bookmarked recipes round up

Bri says:

I have the same book, and have been eyeballing the same recipe for a long time now. I finally made it and I am glad to see that I am not the only one who found it impossibly sticky. I did use latex gloves, even smothered in shortening, it was not any easier. I’m going to try this in muffin form. It’s so good though and yours looks beautiful. Mine looks like a disaster. A tasty disaster.

kromeriz says:

Amanda……Thank you….this is divine……even thou we make a lot of coffee cakes in Czech I couldn’t find any good recipe on line….
    So I came across yours…and it came out fabulous……instead of cherries my mom brought me czech plum filling, which I love….and I decided to use it in this cake……it turned out great…tangy, sweet and smooth with the cream cheese……ohh and so I don’t get my hands all sticky while covering the bottom of the pan with batter…..I just sprayed my hand with good old Pam…..thanks again….will be making this one a lot….with many different combinations….. :)
    Martina….

chayacomfycook says:

The idea of using three flavors is wonderful. Makes for a much more interesting cake. It calls my name.

Sweet as Coco says:

OH MY GOD! I just saw a friend post a photo of this on facebook–so I googled…and of course you came up first! I have the same Taste of Home books sitting around…and they are fun to flip through. This looks so so amazing…and I might have to make this stat–my mouth is totally watering!!!

Sweet as Coco – I hope you make it, you will love it! It's been a while since I thought of this treat, I may just have to make it again!

Dina says:

great idea, something to make everyone happy! pics look wonderful

Leslie says:

Everything looks delicious and I appreciate you sharing such great recipes. I have officially fallen in love with your blog! Thanks so very much!!!

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

ah man! This looks scrumptious too! That's it…I need to click away now. lol, I just marked a few of your recipes and you can bet that when I make them, I'll link back to you! =)

Shelbi says:

I just made this and it's PHENOMENAL! I couldn't and didn't wait for it to chill before I tried a piece. MMM! HEAVEN! Thank you for posting! LOVE YOUR BLOG!

So glad you enjoyed it Shelbi! I need to make this again, I still remember how yummy it was!

[...] from my recipe archive:Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee CakeCherry Pie SquaresHomemade Cherry Pie FillingCherry [...]

[...] Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake 3. Cranberry Pumpkin Coffee Cake 4. Cranberry Streusel Coffee [...]