I love making cake from scratch, but occasionally I’m just pressed for time and turn to the ever dependable box of cake mix. This carrot cake is a combination of the two. You can go out and buy a box of carrot cake mix. Simple. Or you can doctor up a spice cake mix with your own fresh ingredients, like I did.
I am an avid baker as you probably already know, but I do keep at least two boxes of cake mix in my pantry at all times. Why? Because you never know when you might need them! Case in point, my daughter is a freshman in college. She didn’t really cling to cooking and baking the way that I did, but she still likes making sweets now and again.
She also loves carrot cake, so her and I made this recipe together. It’s ideal for young adults and college students who are never home, and great for someone who just prefers the convenience of a box mix.
I chose a cream cheese frosting I use for many desserts, but these would be great with buttercream, whipped topping, dusted with powdered sugar, or even topped with a canned frosting. Whatever strikes your fancy!
I used plain applesauce rather than a cinnamon flavor since we are using a spice cake. I also chose golden raisins as I prefer them, and grated up some fresh carrots.
After mixing up the batter and stirring in the ingredients, divide the batter among a paper lined cupcake tin.
Now be patient and let them cool on a wire rack. You can whip up the frosting while you’re waiting!
More Doctored Cake Mix Recipes
White Almond Sour Cream Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting – The Little Kitchen
Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Peaches and Crème Frosting – Bake or Break
Chocolate Kahlua Cake – Baked Bree
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cookie Bars – Baking and Boys
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes – Real Mom Kitchen
Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting – Bake or Break
Time Saver Carrot Cupcakes
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It Save ItSaved!
- 1 box Spice flavored cake mix plus ingredients listed on box
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Line 2 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix cake batter according to direction on the back of the box.
- To beaten cake batter, add the applesauce and beat a few seconds more until incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir carrots and raisins into the batter until well distributed.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake tins. Bake according to the time chart on the back of the box.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on cooling racks before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy, add vanilla and beat until incorporated. Turn mixer down to low and gradually add powdered sugar. When no dry traces are left, turn mixer up to medium high and beat for a minute or two.
- Spear frosting on cupcake or pipe through a bag.