We love Italian Sausage in this house, sweet being my favorite variety. I wanted to try something new tonight, and we really enjoy sausage and peppers, so I put together several of my favorite ingredients to create dinner. Leeks and garlic for flavor, mushrooms mixed into the sausage for flavor and added vegetable benefits, and potatoes and sweet peppers for body. Topped with a good garlic flavored cheese and this was a delicious and hearty casserole!
You can use your favorite Italian sausage brand, my favorite is Johnsonville. We use their Italian sausage, their bratwurst is the best, and I’ve recently tried their Chorizo as well. Just a really good brand, and they are made right here in southeast Wisconsin. Woot!
I developed this recipe using my freshly roasted tomatoes, but canned tomatoes will work beautifully as well. A little chicken broth and some olive oil really add to the flavors and make this a great comfort food. Serve with a loaf of crusty Italian bread and everyone will leave the table satisfied!
Remove the casings from the sausage and mix it with the minced mushrooms.
Chop and slice everything, cook components.
Mix it up, put it in a casserole and bake, then remove, top with cheese and bake again. Yum!
Sweet Italian Sausage, Pepper and Potato Bake
- 5 sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed (1 lb 3 oz package)
- 1 cup minced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1 leek, white part cleaned and sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 14-oz can tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded garlic cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the sausage with the mushrooms until well combined. Brown sausage mixture in a skillet over medium heat until nicely browned. Drain and set aside. Wipe out skillet.
- Add parsley to the chicken broth and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook, about 6-8 minutes, creating a nice light brown crust. Add the yellow and red bell peppers and continue and saute for 2-3 minutes, until peppers are tender crisp. Remove potato and pepper mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and saute leek until tender, about 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and saute another minute or so. Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir everything together. Add broth and parsley mixture and bring to a gentle boil. Season with freshly ground pepper and a couple pinches of Kosher salt.
- Combine all ingredients except for the cheese and place in a 2 quart casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes.
Notes from Amanda
Saturated fat: 13.9 g Unsaturated fat: 23.8 g Carbohydrates: 12.1 g Sugar: 2.5 g Fiber: 2.1 g Protein: 18 g Cholesterol: 82.8 mg