Sunflower Whole Wheat Quick Bread

This quick bread, studded with sunflower seeds, inside and out, uses whole wheat flour and wheat germ for a healthy and tasty treat. It is definitely good warm with some butter, but it’s best when allowed to cool completely. This quick bread has a lovely, nutty flavor with a hint of sweetness which makes it perfect for both sweet and savory spreads. Try a slice smeared with cream cheese, topped with sliced cheese, or as a breakfast treat with your favorite jam or preserves.

This is a very easy recipe, and because it’s a quick bread, it doesn’t require any yeast or rising time. It bakes for about an hour and is perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner time!

I found this in a book I checked out from the library, gotta love that! A very tasty addition to my recipe files. :) I will be making this again!

Sunflower Whole Wheat Quick Bread

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds plus a handful extra for top of bread
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
coarse salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray. Place prepared pan on a baking sheet and set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together both flours, wheat germ, both sugars, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in 1 cup of sunflower seeds.

In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs and the melted butter, whisk just until combined. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Mixture will be thick and sticky (like the consistency of cooked oatmeal that needs some milk added to it).

Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with sunflower seeds and coarse salt. Place baking sheet with loaf pan into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes (mine was 55) or until the loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

34 Responses to Sunflower Whole Wheat Quick Bread

Chow and Chatter says:

wow this is so cool looks very tasty

Jennifer says:

This is my kind of bread and I love how quick it comes together! Beautiful and hearty, yum!

Fallon says:

MMM I love nutty breads like this.

Snooky doodle says:

this looks so nice !

Marie says:

That looks great Amanda! I am hopeless with yeast breads, but quick breads I can master! Am printing this out!

Afner says:

Delicious! Excellent bread to implement into sandwiches, I will use it, rich in fiber and flavor!

Thanks!

You had me at quick. I can't believe it's a no yeast bread. And I can't wait to make it. I just need the sunflower seeds and I think I'm out of whole wheat flour (but I may try white whole wheat). Great one, Amanda. And congrats again on FG.

Von says:

I'm starting to like whole wheat grainy breads- and it's not because they're healthy! This looks really good…..I've never made bread without yeast before. Does it taste the same as yeasted breads?

Looking forward to hearing what you think Katrina!

Von – the flavor is similar, but the texture is that of a quick bread, like banana bread, only not moist like a quick bread. Kind of hard to explain. :)

Grumpy and HoneyB says:

This looks like a delicious recipe! I love the sunflower sprinkling!

Maria says:

I love this recipe! Thanks Amanda!

jose manuel says:

Estupenda receta. Tiene que estar muy bueno. Un saludo

I love quick breads and this looks nice and healthy too. A must try!

Cakelaw says:

There's nothing like homemade bread, and this looks great!

This is my kinda bread. I LOVE seeds especially in bread. Thanks for passing along another great recipe!

Just pulled a loaf out of the oven. The recipe doesn't say when to add the seeds on the top, so I didn't because I didn't want them burning in the oven. But there are plenty in the bread with just one cup.
    I probably didn't wait long enough to cut it, so it was falling apart, but really good with melting butter and honey! Yum! Mine is very craggy topped.

Barbara Bakes says:

I've never seen a whole wheat quick bread before. Great idea! I'll take mine for breakfast with jam please.

biz319 says:

You had me at "top with fresh cheese!" Looks delicious Amanda!

just saw your bread recipe Looks wonderful, Just wish I had buttermilk home, can I substitute soy milk?

Spryte says:

That looks delicious!! And no yeast! I might give it a try!

Thank you everyone!! :)

Anonymous – I'm not sure about the soy milk, why not give it a try and let us know how it works? You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon or vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. :)

Sue Sparks says:

Sounds pretty healthy and looks beautiful and delicious!

Fashion Meets Food says:

Hello! Just found your blog and I must say you make some absolutely amazing food! I am a new follower!!

xo erica @ fashionmeetsfood

sheila @ Elements says:

hi Amanda, I just made your sunflower whole wheat bread and it turned out great…except the loaf that I burned! LOL! :)

I made a stupid, stupid mistake by setting the cooked loaf of bread on a hot burner on my stove. (I had forgotten to shut it off)Well…I ended up having to throw away half of loaf of this beautiful bread. :( It could have been a lot worse though. :)

Anyway, thanks again for the recipe! :)

Anyway, thanks so much for the recipe! I'm hardly waiting to make it again!

I'm so glad you tried it and liked it Sheila! Don't feel too badly about the burner. I think sometimes these things happen as gentle reminders to us. Years ago I had set my favorite cookbook down on the stovetop to answer the phone. I didn't realize the electric burner was still on and ended up destroying the front and back cover of my book. My dad bought me a new one for Christmas ;)

[...] More from me you might like:Chocolate Zucchini Bread (this ROCKS)Morning Glory Zucchini Bread (this ROCKS even more!)Banana Upside Down MuffinsSunflower Whole Wheat Quick Bread [...]

Mary McIntyre says:

I had a bag of sunflower seeds so I made 2 loaves and have sufficient seeds left over to make another one. This bread is terrific and so easy to make. It has wonderful texture. However, after baking the first loaf, I thought it needed a little more liquid so I increased the the buttermilk by about 1/2 cup for the second one and it came out of the oven looking perfect (#1 dough was stiffer and the loaf looked a bit lumpier than #2 – it tasted fine though. I am wondering if I could freeze the bread. I will make this again.

Jan says:

Hi,
    Did you make one or two loaves? I thought I came across this recipe elsewhere where it says it makes two loaves. Seems like a lot of ingredients for one pan. I may give it it try, but thinking of halving it it or making it into muffins. Do you think it would work for muffins?
    Thanks,
    Jan

• 29.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

This makes one 9×5 loaf. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t work for muffins, just make sure to adjust the baking time! :)

Agnes says:

Do you think I could add pumpkin seeds to this recipe? Half pumpkin seeds and half sunflower seeds…

[...] glaze or maybe something cherry flavored make more sense? I had successfully made a recipe for Sunflower Whole Wheat Quick BreadĀ from this cookbook (Tate’s Bake Shop Cookbook) before, so I decided to trust the [...]

[…] Fresh Feasts sunflower seed chocolate chip cookies, Amanda’s Cooking sunflower quick bread, Little House Living homemade mayo with sunflower oil […]