Grilled Cube Steak Rollups

If you read this blog regularly, you already know that I buy my beef by the side from the local farmer. This time I had it cut a little differently and that gave me quite a few packages of cubed steaks. Sure I could make chicken fried steak, but again, if you’ve been reading this blog for a while you know I like to try different things and tire of the everyday dishes.
So I did a search and found quite a few recipes, all bookmarked to try later, but settled on Grilled Cube Steak Rollups over at Recipezaar. One of the things I find extremely beneficial about their site are the reviews. There are usually plenty of them and I take the time to read at least the first 20, if not more. There are 17 reviews on this particular recipe and it ranked a little over 4 stars, so I decided to try it. This particular recipe called for a bottled marinade, so instead I used one that was given to me ages ago by a friend. I had never tried the marinade, but she swore by it, so I went for it and the results were delicious!
Since I did change several things in the recipe, I’ve basically given you the rewritten version below. Click the link above for the original.

Grilled Cubed Steak Rollups
adapted from Recipezaar

4-5 pieces cube steaks
marinade (recipe below)

2 oz cream cheese, softened
4-5 pieces bacon (raw)
1 sprig fresh parsley, minced, (stem too)
Marinade

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon crushed dried rosemary
3 tablespoons steak dust or your favorite steak seasoning
3 tablespoons A1 steak sauce

For the Marinade
Put all ingredients into a blender and puree. Pour over meat in a glass dish or gallon zipper bag and place in the refrigerator 2-24 hours. Can be marinated up to three days for tough cuts of meat. This made enough marinade for 8 cube steaks, so I put four in the freezer in marinade.

For the Roll Ups

Marinate steaks in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, up to 24. Mine marinated for 24.
Preheat your grill on high with the lid closed. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and take them out of the marinade. Place them on paper towels to drain.
Warm the softened cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds. You want the cream cheese to be very soft, similar to a runny cake frosting. Combine the cream cheese with the minced parsley. Spread thin layer of cream cheese over one side of steak.

Beginning with short end roll up the steak.

Spirally wrap a piece of bacon around steak and secure with one or two toothpicks. I didn’t have enough toothpicks so I used two long skewers. I definitely recommend the toothpicks so you can turn the steaks individually.
Turn the burners on your grill down to medium and grill roll ups on one side for several minutes to sear the meat. Turn and sear the other side. Turn the heat down to low and continue to grill with the lid closed and turn every five minutes until done. Mine took about 25 minutes total.

Delicious!

17 Responses to Grilled Cube Steak Rollups

Jennifer says:

Amanda these are sooo clever!!! I've done this with pork and chicken before but not beef!! Thanks for the yummy inspiration!! :)

Looks fantastic Amanda. I was surprised to see that cream cheese was added. Very interesting.

Mari says:

These look delicious! I'll be trying them!

LOL, you and my one twin….can't have the same thing twice!

This looks really good. I wish our grill was working. :(

Cakelaw says:

These look great Amanda! I am a girl who loves her beef, so these are making my mouth water.

Tami says:

MMM! Looks great! I cannot talk my husband into eating cube steak no matter how it is cooked. His mother used to make it when he was young and he says that all of his memories of it tasted like shoe leather. I keep telling him that he doesn't know what he's missing if it's cooked the right way. :)

• 6.1
      Adam says:

Your hubby doesn’t know what he is missing!!! Seriously!
      I grew up hating dinner time when I knew we were eating cube steak for dinner. NO LONGER!

My husband and I had this last night. It is AMAZING!!! A must try!

So glad you liked them! It's nice having something different for cube steaks aside from country fried steak isn't it? :) thanks!

We did this yesterday – marinated for 2 hours. We did not use the cheese. Came out looking identical to your photos and tasted wonderful. Our marinade is very basic – olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic & onion powders – but does the job. A great way to make a gourmet meal out of a cheap, lean cut of meat! Thanks!

Oh so glad you enjoyed them! There's not much you can do with cube steaks, but I love this alternative :)

danielle says:

fantastic idea and very yummy! i added a lemon to the marinade and let it sit for a day. i filled ours with pesto and provel cheese because it's what i had on hand. incredible flavor. we have a whole beef in the freezer and i needed more uses for this cut. thanks for sharing!

Adam says:

Made this for dinner tonight…
    I too grew up to hate the way “cube steak” was cook but with this recipe…
    I may have fallen in love! :)

Donna says:

I’ve cooked something very similar to this for years. My husband is a hunter and I always have cubed venison on hand. Instead of the cream cheese I put a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeno pepper inside the steak. Wrap with bacon and grill. At the end of cooking baste with favorite bbq sauce. Have never thought to marinade the meat, will try that next time, sounds awesome.

[…] Buttermilk Chicken Cube Steak Roll Ups Cheese Stuffed Green Chilis Gluten-Free Pizzas Porchetta Style Pork Chops Salmon With Goat Cheese […]