The Best Chicken Fried Steak
I found this recipe on AllRecipes, it’s even called “The Best Chicken Fried Steak Recipe”. How could I not try that?
I stuck pretty close to the recipe itself, only I used canola oil for frying and didn’t make the milk gravy. Instead, I used some homemade beef stock and milk to make a brown gravy instead. These were delicious and I will make them again.
Ingredients for Chicken Fried Steak
slightly adapted from All Recipes
- 4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 cups canola oil for frying
Get the basic milk gravy recipe from All Recipes.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to make Chicken Fried Steak
- Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Serve with gravy of your choice.
This post was originally published on this blog on October 31, 2010.