Carrot Cake Towers: Diabetic Friendly

You don’t have to be a diabetic to enjoy these, my kids can vouch for that. However, if you need it, the nutritional information is available at the end. I found this recipe in a magazine called Diabetic Living run by Better Homes and Gardens. This whole diabetic thing is still very new to me, but I am determined to stay healthy, lose weight (lost 7.5 pounds so far!), and keep my diabetes in check. I knew that one thing that I would have trouble with giving up was sweets. Turns out I don’t actually have to give up anything, I just need to watch my portions and keep track of my carbs, proteins and fats. This is why the nutritional information, especially the diabetic counts, are so important on recipes.

I was immediately drawn to the photo in the magazine and knew I had to try it. I did search out the magazine online and found the recipe here. This can also be made as a layer cake by using two 8 or 9 inch round pans. I was a little skeptical about how it would taste. Carrot cake can be good or really, really bad, and this recipe had flax seed meal. I’ve never used that before and it sounds so darn healthy, which of course is often associated with poor flavor. Nothing could be further from the truth. The cake is delicious and the cream cheese frosting is divine. These would be perfect for a party, however I think if I made these again, I would make them into triangles or squares and avoid the scrap cake all together.
Carrot Cake Towers
from Diabetic Living Magazine

SERVINGS: 14 to 16 servings
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 34

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups finely* shredded carrot (about 6 medium) (3 large for me)
1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
Coarsely shredded carrot (optional)

Note: I used the regular sugar and the regular brown sugar.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour the waxed paper and the sides of the pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In another large bowl, combine finely shredded carrot, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil.

Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined.

Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
Transfer cake to a large cutting board. Using a 2-inch round cutter, make cutouts in the cake, leaving as little space as possible between cutouts.

You should get 28 to 32 cutouts. (I used a 2.25″ cutter as that’s all I had and didn’t get that many … obviously) :-P

For each serving, place one of the cake cutouts on a serving plate. Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting atop the cake round. Top with a second cake round and about 1 tablespoon additional frosting. If desired, garnish with coarsely shredded carrot.
*Test Kitchen Tip: Be sure to finely shred the carrots to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan during baking.

**Sugar Substitutes: Choose Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking to substitute for the granulated sugar and Splenda® Brown Sugar Baking Blend to substitute for the brown sugar. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated and 1/2 cup brown sugar.

PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 231 cal., 25 g carb., 186 mg sodium. Daily values: 3% calcium. Exchanges: 1.5 other carb. Carb choices: 1.5

***Test Kitchen Tip: If desired, save cake scraps and make parfaits by layering the cake with thawed frozen light whipped dessert topping.

Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat 2 ounces softened reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 1/4 cup powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Thaw 1-1/2 cups frozen light whipped dessert topping. Fold about 1/2 cup of the topping into the cream cheese mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining whipped topping. Makes about 1-3/4 cups.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Iron (DV%) 6
Diabetic Exchanges
Other Carbohydrates (d.e.) 2
Fat (d.e.) 2

26 Responses to Carrot Cake Towers: Diabetic Friendly

Yum! I want this now. ;)
    I'm forwarding this right on to a sis-in-law who loves carrot cake, but wanted to try to find a more diabetic friendly recipe!

Hi Katrina! It's delicious, she won't regret it, so good. Just make sure that she adheres to the size of the rounds to stay within the nutritional guidelines ;)

Jennifer says:

Oh those are just so cute cut like that!! I love the healthy option!!

Barbara Bakes says:

I love this idea! Great way to get portion control!

Natalie says:

so so cute!!

biz319 says:

Holy yum! Definitely putting this on the list for things to try – thanks for sharing!

I actually get that magazine – I must have missed that recipe! :D

Jennifer – the cuteness factor is what drew me in! ;)

Barbara – yes, definitely a great portion control factor

Natalie – thanks!

biz – I thought if you when I posted this : ) Hope you try it ;)

Marie says:

Great looking baby cakes Amanda! I bet those scraps would make a great trifle too!

Michele says:

I love how cute these are! Its great that you have a tip for not wasting. Those parfaits are a great idea! There is an Italian dessert called Zuccoto that uses pound cake. It's like a trifle. I bet it would be great with carrot cake!

jillbert says:

These little cakes look so nice! It's great to know that you had such success with a diabetic recipe. Good idea to cut them into squares or triangles next time – they'll be just as cute.

Amanda those look great! Great recipe….

pinkstripes says:

They look perfect and delicious!

Tami says:

Such a pretty dessert! My husband and I both love carrot cake. I will have to try this recipe. YUM!

The Momma says:

Hey Amanda, I sent to and email today about my winning for Alicia and Alices July contest. Let me know if you got it. I sent it once before, hoping there's not something wrong with my email.

Chef Fresco says:

These are about the best looking diabetic dessert I've seen! They're so cute!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

I love the presentation, so cute!

Kayte says:

Absolutely beautiful! Who would not want to sit down to one of these…one would feel very special indeed getting this for dessert!

Sara @ Our Best Bites says:

I love how these are cut- so cut!

Dina says:

those are adorable. my sister loves carrot cake, would love to make these for her. yours came out beautifully!

Kristen says:

Those are fantastic and so cute! Love the photo too.

Lauren says:

It is so hard to find good Diabetic Dessert Recipes. I work with Better Recipes so I am always trying to find recipes that can fit a variety of different medical conditions. These look great and I can't wait to make them for my grandmother. I love finding desserts that she can enjoy with the rest of the family.

veena krishnakumar says:

Looks lovely and diabetic dessert…that's awesome!!!!!!!1

BM # 4 DAY 3 : Easy Eggless Cake : Secrets Of Our Kitchen says:

[...] BM # 4 DAY 3 : Easy Eggless Cake I have noticed that most of my fellow bloggers in BM do not use eggs, so i thought of baking an eggless cake today. I got this recipe from my friend Usha. Thanks to her for this wonderful recipe. I also wanted to share a link which has a very good recipe for diabetic carrot cake. I did not have all the ingredients to try this cake so i thought of sharing the link. http://www.amandascookin.com/2009/08/carrot-cake-towers-diabetic-friendly.html [...]

Secrets Of Our Kitchen – BM # 4 DAY 3 : Easy Eggless Cake says:

[...] BM # 4 DAY 3 : Easy Eggless Cake By Admin, April 6, 2011, In Blogging Marathon, Cakes Home » Blogging Marathon » BM # 4 DAY 3 : Easy Eggless Cake I have noticed that most of my fellow bloggers in BM do not use eggs, so i thought of baking an eggless cake today. I got this recipe from my friend Usha. Thanks to her for this wonderful recipe. I also wanted to share a link which has a very good recipe for diabetic carrot cake. I did not have all the ingredients to try this cake so i thought of sharing the link. http://www.amandascookin.com/2009/08/carrot-cake-towers-diabetic-friendly.html [...]

[...] Carrot Cake Towers Chocolate Zucchini Bread Morning Glory Zucchini Bread [...]