Raspberry Upside Down Cake

I bought some raspberries for a different recipe and definitely over-bought. So I needed something else to use them up in. I found a fabulous Raspberry Upside Down Cake on the Alicia’s Recipes website using Bisquick! What could be easier :)

MY NOTES: Very easy to assemble. I’ve made pineapple upside down cake many times and definitely took longer to put the raspberries on that it does to put pineapple on, but the presentation alone was worth it. What I found refreshing about making this out of Bisquick instead of a standard cake recipe was that it wasn’t overly sweet. Just sweet enough to be good and the raspberries add a wonderful little twang that offsets the sweetness. Yum! This is actually a great breakfast cake in my opinion. The recipe suggests serving warm with whip cream (maybe ice cream too), but I had a piece of this cake this morning after being in the refrigerator all night and it was wonderful chilled!

23 Responses to Raspberry Upside Down Cake

Lisa says:

This looks awesome. I’m sure it owuld be good with ice cream too!

Cheri Sicard says:

The pineapples in pineapple upside down cake really caramelize well with the sugar, that’s what I love about that dessert. How do the raspberries do in that regard?

Ali says:

Yum! I love the combo of raspberry and almonds!

Bunny says:

Amanda this is soooo pretty! I love this…another way to make upside down cake!

AmyRuth says:

This looks delish…maybe a little yummy butter too. Either way sounds like a good breakfast/coffee cake.
    Happy Baking
    AmyRuth

That cake sounds really good. That would be great to bring to one of my potlucks at work. I like that you said it was not too sweet. Sounds like it would also work with blueberries.

That looks really good, Amanda! Wish I still had my 10 for $10 (6 oz. pkgs.) raspberries I got a week or so ago!

Karly says:

Raspberries are my favorite! I’ll definitely be trying this!

Aggie says:

Oh, I love rasberries! This looks delicious!

Jude says:

Looks very easy for sure.. Thanks for the Bisquick idea!

This is something my Mom would LOVE. She's a fiend for raspberry filled desserts.

The cake is so pretty! However, I consider Bisquick (with it's trans-fat, preservatives and other unhealthful chemicals) fake food–more on par with using cool-whip and blue jello.

I happen to agree with you. This recipe was made for a challenge through Alicia & Annie :) You can actually make your own bisquick, which I have done before, but it does include shortening. I much prefer to just make a white cake.

Mmm, this looks amazing and so very moist. I'll have to try this sometime soon.

[...] to see that I haven’t really baked with raspberries for a few years. There’s this Raspberry Upside Down Cake I made four years ago and this Raspberry Coffee Cake I made around the same time. This English [...]

Terry says:

This sounds yummy. Do you think it would work with most fruits?? How about strawberries and rhubarb??? Thanks!!

• 16.1

I would think that fruits that would work well with this recipe would include any type of berry, stone fruit or tropical fruit. I’ve never made one with rhubarb, but if rhubarb has been used in upside down cakes, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with this one :)

Rose says:

I made this cake with blueberries, it was awesome. Can’t wait to try it with strawberries or peaches.

Pam says:

I’m wondering if this would work as well with frozen berries instead of fresh. If so, should they be thawed first?