Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

This is my first month with the Cookie Carnival. :) If you are interested in joining, check out the button on the right sidebar.

This month’s recipe is Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. I wasn’t really sure about these but decided to give them a try anyway. The cream cheese filling is definitely tasty as were the cookies, but I had some “issues” in the beginning. I followed the recipe instructions, but maybe when I measured the flour I had too many air pockets?? Who knows. All I know is my first couple of batches of cookies came out HUGE (definitely not mini) and FLAT. Hmmmm. So I called Tami, knowing she had already made hers. She suggested adding some more flour, saying that her batter didn’t fall off the spoon when held up, mine definitely did.

So I added some flour, don’t ask me how much, and it definitely improved the cookies. I tried a third batch with a little more flour, but I think that was too much. The third batch came out very mini and cute, but they cracked on top, telling me there was too much flour. At any rate, they all tasted good, even the flat ones. I did run out of filling and ended up with extra cookies, but I’m sure they’ll get eaten anyway ;-)

Here’s the three different sizes (see below for recipe):

Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Makes about 20.

FOR THE COOKIES

* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
* 1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
* Pinch of cinnamon
* Pinch of nutmeg

DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare cookies: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.

2. Place butter, shortening, and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. (mine never actually got smooth, just a moist crumbly texture, too much sugar to get smooth) Add egg; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in half the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.

3. Drop about 2 teaspoons dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets and transfer to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely.

4. Prepare filling: In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese, butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whip until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary.

5. Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.

26 Responses to Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

carol says:

YUMMY!!! Your pictures have me drooling! OH these look good!!! I have the same problem with how much flour in whoopie pies when I want to make them mini too..they crack on top and I say oh well..they still taste great. I always figure as long as they’re not dry as a bone, it’s all good!

Prudy says:

Those look fabulous. YOu’re my first cookie carnival stop-I gotta make these.

Jacque says:

I just made these today… they tasted exactly like devil’s food cake, I thought. I like your different shaped cookies… almost like a family picture, lol. Nice work!

Bunny says:

I like all the different sizes Amanda, they all look good to me! I would really like that cream cheese filling!!

Tami says:

I love jacque’s comment that your cookies look like a family picture! What a great analogy! I love the different sizes, too! :)

Jin Hooi says:

well done !! Mine turned out to be like a giant ball and also the filling was too thin and runy.Yours looks great !!

Marie says:

Those look so good Amanda. I love whoopie Pies!

I love the idea of pumpkin whoopie pies!!! They look soooo good!

Yea, you joined the carnival. :)
    I have to get on my cookies, hopefully today! I’ve never made Whoopie pies and I’m excited to try. I’ll watch my flour!!! I think yours look great.

I went and watched the Martha video (this is a recipe from her show and site) on this and made sure that the directions were correct and they were. I don’t know why I ended up needing more flour but I did. The video is worth watching for the guest star alone, TRUST ME! http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/mini-pumpkin-whoopie-pies

Leonor de Sousa Bastos says:

Your cookies are pure madness!!

I wish I could have one of these right now…

beautiful!

bakingblonde says:

Those look so great, perfect for fall! I love whoopie pies and have been meaning to make some soon, those pictures have me drooling!

mysweetestday says:

thanks for the heads up about the flour. ill be making these this week :)

Cristine says:

Great job! Your filling seems thick, too. Mine was a tad runny and I had to refrigerate the cookies. Welcome to the carnival!!! :)

The Blonde Duck says:

Those are so cute! I love them!

Andrew Abraham says:

These cookies look unbelievable… I am so glad you posted this cookie recipe…thanks

Andy

carol – thanks! They didn't last long around here :)

prudy – can't wait to see yours oh Cookie Queen! :-D

jacque – I'll be watching for your post about them. I agree just like devil's food cake :)

bunny & tami – Thanks! The different sizes were funny, just wish I had ended up with more of the right size LOL

jin hooi – I'm sorry they didn't work out for you!

marie, debbie, leonor, baking blonde, mysweetestday, blonde duck, andrew – thank you all so much!

cristine – sorry about your filling, it was the batter I had problems with. I did refrigerate my filling while I was waiting for all the cookies to bake and cool

nicole says:

Ohhh I love these kind of cookies.

That’s awesome that you stuck with it and kept trying until you got it right! I would have just thrown in the towel!

I like the shot of all three sizes together. It’s like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This one is too big, this one is too flat, but this one is just right! :-)

Jude says:

Wow that’s a crazy amount of whoopie pies. Wish I could’ve snatched a few,

SUGAR BETTY says:

OK, another reason why I need to make these whoopie pies. I think I have gained a few pounds from looking at your lovely food pics. Grrrrr! I will check back soon!

Kirstynn Evans says:

You must be a perfectionist! They all look great to me! You are stellar! A+

mangomissives says:

Mine cracked on top too…but I didn’t have as much dedication as you to try, try again…

Stacey says:

What dedication! I love that you kept trying until you got it perfect.

Pamela says:

3 different times? No matter what, they all look extremely tempting to me! Fantastic job.