You don’t have to be a diabetic to enjoy these, my kids can vouch for that. However, if you need it, the nutritional information is available at the end. I found this recipe in a magazine called Diabetic Living run by Better Homes and Gardens. This whole diabetic thing is still very new to me, but I am determined to stay healthy, lose weight (lost 7.5 pounds so far!), and keep my diabetes in check. I knew that one thing that I would have trouble with giving up was sweets. Turns out I don’t actually have to give up anything, I just need to watch my portions and keep track of my carbs, proteins and fats. This is why the nutritional information, especially the diabetic counts, are so important on recipes.
SERVINGS: 14 to 16 servings
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 34
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups finely* shredded carrot (about 6 medium) (3 large for me)
1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
Coarsely shredded carrot (optional)
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings: 14 to 16 servings
Total Fat (g) 11
Saturated Fat (g) 2
Monounsaturated Fat (g) 5
Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 2
Cholesterol (mg) 3
Sodium (mg) 188
Carbohydrate (g) 34
Total Sugar (g) 19
Fiber (g) 3
Protein (g) 5
Vitamin A (DV%) 0
Vitamin C (DV%) 3
Calcium (DV%) 4
Iron (DV%) 6
Other Carbohydrates (d.e.) 2
Fat (d.e.) 2
Carrot Cake Towers: Diabetic Friendly
IMPORTANT - There are often Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!Print It Rate It Text It
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely* shredded carrot about 6 medium (3 large for me)
- 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coarsely shredded carrot optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour the waxed paper and the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine finely shredded carrot, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil.
- Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Transfer cake to a large cutting board. Using a 2-inch round cutter, make cutouts in the cake, leaving as little space as possible between cutouts.
- You should get 28 to 32 cutouts.
- For each serving, place one of the cake cutouts on a serving plate. Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting atop the cake round. Top with a second cake round and about 1 tablespoon additional frosting. If desired, garnish with coarsely shredded carrot.
NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit https://amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html