Far too often when you look over at that browning bunch of bananas on the counter you think to yourself “not another banana bread”! I love banana bread, and banana muffins, don’t get me wrong. But, I much prefer a slice of banana cake. Sometimes though, a more compact dessert is in order, like these banana bars. Full of flavor, topped with yummy cream cheese frosting, and begging for a cup of coffee.
If you’re looking for something to serve for a dessert type appetizer, these would be great cut into smaller squares. Little cocktail napkins and toothpicks will be all the utensils you’ll need, great for a party or barbecue!
I’ve made several different desserts using bananas. These cupcakes are among my favorites, and these spiced banana chocolate chip muffins were also really good.
I’ve combined cranberries and white chocolate with bananas to make this great fall bread, and cinnamon chips are the bomb with bananas, as you can see from these muffins! I’ve even made banana upside down muffins, which were not only fun to look at but delicious to eat.
My youngest son plays football and lifts weights. He insists on having bananas in the house, so sometimes I get a bit overzealous and buy too many. He likes having them for the potassium, good for him after a strong work out. I like having them around simply because they taste good. :)
So next time you spy some browning bananas, forget about the banana bread and try these bars. Hopefully, you’ll love them as much as we did!
Banana Bars with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas 2 large or 3 medium
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 8- oz package of cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet (15x10x1) and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium-high until creamy. Gradually add sugar until well combined. Add egg and beat just until combined. Add the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt. Turn mixer down to low and gradually add the flour mixture until well combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until top springs back to the touch. Remove from oven and cool in pan on a wire rack.
For the Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar until completely combined. Beat in the vanilla.
- Spread frosting evenly over the cake with an icing spatula. Cut into bars.