Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

I’ve made several different ice cream recipes before, but they’ve always been egg based custards. I’ve been meaning to try one of the versions using sweetened condensed milk, and even had a can waiting in the pantry, but hadn’t taken the time to do it. Well, this month when perusing my assigned blog for The Secret Recipe Club, I came across an ice cream recipe that fit the bill and knew I wanted to make it. I’m so glad I did, it turned out to be absolutely rich, creamy and delicious, just the way I like it!

If you haven’t heard of The Secret Recipe Club, it’s an event that I host each month where each member is assigned another member’s blog to choose a recipe from. They make it or bake it and then blog it. But no one says anything until reveal day when everyone posts at the same time. My assignment this month was Veronica’s blog, My Catholic Kitchen. She has plenty of great sounding recipes to choose from, but when I spotted the recipe for Saint Valentine’s Chocolate Ice Cream I printed it right away.

I love chocolate ice cream, and I’m sure the version as is would be wonderful, but I wanted to kick mine up a notch. I decided to add a bit more chocolate to the custard itself, jazzed up the flavor with some almond extract, and finished it off by stirring in some homemade chocolate chips.

I’m not talking about tossing in a bag of store bought chocolate chips. Instead, I melted down some quality bittersweet chocolate and stirred it in at the end. This method is called “straccietella”, derived from Italian word “stracciato” which means torn apart. By drizzling the melted chocolate onto the churned frozen custard, the chocolate hardens and you are able to stir it in, breaking the hardened chocolate into smaller chips and bits.

I’m actually smitten with this ice cream. The consistency is very creamy, something that can be difficult to achieve with egg custard ice creams. I’m actually pretty pumped to try some other flavors too as this is a much easier method. Delicious!

Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

adapted from Saint Valentine’s Chocolate Ice Cream

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup light cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 oz bittersweet chocolate

Place the condensed milk into a medium saucepan. Measure then sift the cocoa into the condensed milk. Whisk the two ingredients together and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and slightly thickened, about ten minutes. Remove from heat. Immediately break the 2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate into pieces and whisk into the hot milk mixture until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a large measuring cup, gently mix together the creams and the extracts. Take the chill off by putting mixture into the microwave for up to one minute.

Using a slow and steady motion, drizzle the cream mixture into the chocolate mixture. Whisk the mixtures together as you are drizzling. Be sure to loosen any mixture from the edges and corners of the pan using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Whisk until smooth. Pour through a sieve into a clean bowl, discard any bits left in the sieve.

Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Process the cold mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.

To add the chocolate stracciatella, right before the end of the churning process, melt the 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in the microwave at half power. Drizzle the melted chocolate onto the almost churned ice cream, being careful not to drizzle onto the paddle.

If you have a manual ice cream maker, empty the churned ice cream into the container you intend to keep in the freezer. Drizzle some of the melted chocolate onto the ice cream and fold in using a rubber spatula. Repeat drizzling, folding, drizzling, and folding until all the chocolate has been incorporated. You can break up larger pieces using the end of the spatula. The chocolate will harden once it hits the ice cream, creating homemade chocolate chips and chunks. Freeze until hard and ready to scoop.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

60 Responses to Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Shelby says:

I love ice cream so much. I just wished it would love me! Looks great Amanda. Thank you for this club, it is awesome and fun!

Winnie says:

Wow this ice cream looks SO rich! I find ice cream so hard to photograph, but yours looks perfect. Thanks for hosting the SRC Amanda…I have so much fun with it each month :)

Jason says:

Great job on the ice cream and beautiful pictures.

Fallon says:

I love chocolate ice cream.. looks very creamy!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says:

The ice cream looks awesome and I just posted my first secret recipe club post.

Thank you for organizing this, Amanda, and count me in for next month!

chris says:

Ooh! Sweetened condensed milk? Interesting! I need to make it with that milk next time I try a batch. It was fun participating in SRC! Can't wait until next month….

Sanjeeta kk says:

Oh..how gorgeous those scoops of ice cream look, Amanda! Loving every bit of SRC :)

Thank you Amanda your ice cream looks wonderful. Andi

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says:

I keep meaning to make homemade ice cream but haven't yet. Your pictures are great and this looks so nice and cool and refreshing! Thanks!

Heather says:

oh my, that recipe looks rich and yummy. thanks for hosting the SRC :)

BigBearswife says:

your ice cream looks wonderful!! Found this from the The Secret Recipe Club blog hop :)

Lisa~~ says:

The only thing better than chocolate ice cream is double chocolate ice cream. Thanks for all you do with the SRC, it's so much fun participating and checking out all the blogs.

My SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

The Food Hunter says:

I've never heard of the secret recipe club…but it sounds like a great idea. Oh and this ice cream looks yummy

amanda @ fake ginger says:

Omg, this ice cream looks fantastic! I cannot wait to try that method of adding chocolate.

Rachel says:

My kids would love this! YUMMY!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Love homemade ice cream! This looks packed full of chocolaty flavor :)

Tami says:

Before owning ice cream maker, I never knew that there were so many different ways to make ice cream. This one looks creamy and delicious! We seem to eat a lot of soft serve from our maker because no one wants to wait long enough for the ice cream to harden in the freezer. lol!

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini says:

Looks delicious! Nothing like a chocolaty ice cream to cool you off and satisfy a chocolate craving all at the same time! Thanks for hosting this – its amazing!

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy says:

LOVE chocolate! Your ice cream looks fabulous. I did the same method with my ice cream for SRC, too, only I didn't know the fancy name for it:)

Ruchi says:

Looks amazing! Wish I had participated this month.

Ruchi

Mmm! Tis the season for ice cream for sure–'specially since it's Natl Ice Cream Month and yesterday was THE day.
    I have liked the ice creams I've made with sweetened condensed milk. (I'm not big on the eggy custard based ice creams.) Great pick!

Peggy says:

What a great choice! Perfect for these killer hot days of summer =)

I've never made ice cream with the sweetened condenced milk an I now I want to. Love the addition of almond extract. I love almond extract!

Jo says:

I've never made a condensed milk ice cream before either, I will have to give it a try, it looks delicious!

Rachel says:

Another great month with the club. The icecream is truly irresistible.

Marla {family fresh cooking} says:

Amanda, what a great round up of recipes. Thanks for hosting such an amazing event. This ice cream looks delish!

Cooking Rookie says:

Amazing ice cream! So rich and luscious!

Dan says:

Oh, it's difficult to go wrong with chocolate. That ice cream looks amazing. I can almost taste it.

Gloria says:

Amanda your Chocolate Ice cream look amazing and delicious,is a great and amazing round up of recipes, thanks so much for hosting!! xxgloria

Deeba PAB says:

I absolutely LOVE this Amanda. What a creamy and divine looking ice cream. WOW!! Must have been really YUM! Thanks for getting the SRC together. FAB FAB FAB!

Jeanette says:

Amanda, this double chocolate chip ice cream sounds decadently delicious! Thanks once again for hosting such a wonderful event – amazing how many people have joined in on the fun!

Carolyn says:

That ice cream looks phenomenal, Amanda, all perfectly creamy and chocolatey. You know I love your SRC, right???

veronica@mycatholickitchen.com says:

Thank you Amanda for allowing me to participate in The Secret Recipe Club. Also thanks for showcasing my ice cream. You idi it justice my friend.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet says:

Great choice! I would love a huge bowl of that right now!

Eliotseats says:

Amanda, thanks for my great pick this month with "Love Veggies and Yoga!" I had a great time being a part of the SRC. And, you got a great pick too. I love Veronica's sight and have followed it for a while.

I can't wait for next month!!!

Beth says:

This looks incredible! What a terrific secret recipe to choose.

Julie says:

Thanks for hosting SRC! It's such a fun group!! This ice cream looks delicious! Perfect for hot summer days.

Veronica says:

Looks great! I might have to try this one.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING says:

LOVE SRC…. I have enjoyed my first month and look forward to many more! Thanks again for all yoru hard work!

Hey, I am also having an ICE CREAM linky on my THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS, and would love for you to come by and link up this delicious ice cream you made. Hope to see ya there! :-)

Kim - Liv Life says:

Amanda, first of all, thank you so much for posting this wonderful event! What a fun idea, and I'm thrilled to have been able to take part.
    Secondly… wow! I'm not really an ice cream fan, but your photos have even me wishing I had a nice scoop of this chocolate cream!! Nicely done!

Sara says:

Thanks, Amanda, for all you do to host this fun club. I've really enjoyed it. I love the look of this ice cream – I've been making homemade ice cream several times a week, and now I'll have a new version to try!!

Jeanie says:

Amanda–This is so super fun. Thank you. And I can't wait to try your chocolate ice cream.

Bizzy B. Bakes says:

You just taught me a new way to drizzle the melted chocolate and it sounds good. I also want to try the condensed milk. I, also have a can, just sitting there. What did I ever buy it for? That didn't get made.

Gloria says:

Who doesn't love chocolate ice cream? I have recently acquired an ice cream maker but have only made egg custard bases so far. This ice cream looks decadent and delicious! Thanks for the straticiatella trick. I just came across that just a couple of days ago for the first time. Seeing it twice in a couple of days is a sign I need to try this technique!

Thank you for hosting the SRC. I had a blast participating this month for the first time. I'm now just finishing up my work day to sit down and peruse all the wonderful treats through the blog hop.

Ann says:

Lovely, Amanda! My Catholic Kitchen is a new – and favorite -blog that I'm reading, so I'm thrilled to see them part of this…

Lizzy says:

What a fabulous ice cream! Great pick :)

PS…now that I've seen you've already made a recipe, don't worry about doing another for me! You deserve some time off! Thanks for the kind offer, though~ xo

Christina says:

My husband would loooove this! I'm putting my ice cream bowl into the freezer now! :)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking says:

Amanda, your ice cream looks wonderful! Thank you SO much for hosting the SRC. I know it took a lot of work and you spent many hours making it happen. It is GREATLY appreciated! I had so much fun and it's wonderful getting to know other bloggers and try out different recipes. I so look forward to doing it again and again!

Delishhh says:

You do love your chocolate ice cream :) Very nice as always !

The Procrastobaker says:

Beautiful! I would give anything for a big bowl'o that right now :)

Charissa says:

I'm kinda flipping out over these pictures…beautiful chocolate ice-cream. So hard to resist…especially when it's SO so hot!

Tamar1973 says:

Anytime is a good time for chocolate icecream!

Jayasri Ravi says:

Wow, an other chocolate recipe, oflate, I have started liking chocolates!, my kids will love this, I have to try this out, when my freezer is a bit empty!, thanks Amanda loved SRC and waiting for the next hop :), to see what I can try out!!

Something Swanky Cupcakes and Desserts says:

Delicious!! I just made ice cream this week too– it's perfect for July, isn't it? I'd love for you to swing by my Sweet Treats Party and link this up! Hope to see you there :)

Ashton
    {Sweet Treats Thursday}

Lisa says:

Yum, that looks intense.

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } says:

Incredible! Love, love this chocolate ice cream. BTW – really enjoyed being part of the SRC and look forward to August! Enjoy your weekend!

Bren @ Flanboyant Eats™ says:

found you through RJ Flamingo's site. And girl, there's nothing like a sexy bowl of choco choco ice cream!!! woot!

Love this…gonna have to try it out soon. I need a good, EASY chocolate ice cream recipe. I love the SRC!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Taylor says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It is without a doubt, the creamiest, richest, velvety smooth ice cream I have ever tasted, let alone made! Actually, I have only ever made ice cream once before, with a custard base, and it was disgusting haha.
    This basis sweetened condensed milk and cream is going to be the base for all ice creams I made from now on. I am so excited about the possibilities. Even my boyfriend who usually keeps well clear of my home made experiments loved it :)

Thanks for the awesome feedback Taylor! So glad you liked it!