Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cheesecake

I am a big fan of cheesecake. I already have several cheesecake recipes on this blog, but there are so many more out there to try I know I’m nowhere near finished! I even have an entire cookbook dedicated just to cheesecakes. Traditionally cheesecakes are made with cream cheese, but there are recipes out there using Neufchatel, ricotta and even cottage cheese! So I ventured outside of my comfort zone and tried this beauty.

Because this recipe uses ricotta cheese, the texture is different and not as creamy as your standard cheesecake. However, there is no skimp on flavor and putting it together was a snap. The fine folks over at Sargento asked me to try one of their cheesecake recipes, so I chose their Chocolate Chip Cheesecake.

You know me, I did make a few adaptations, but not too many. I kept the ingredient list pretty much the same and just changed the method a little. In fact, because I did, that could have been why I ended up with such a large crack in the top.

I’d never made a cheesecake with ricotta before, so perhaps using the food processor broke up the molecular structure of the cheese too much? Who knows, I’m not a kitchen scientist and it’s nothing a little topping won’t hide. :) It definitely didn’t affect the flavor though and everyone enjoyed it.

Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cheesecake
adapted from Sargento.com

Crust
1-1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs (approximately 18-20 cookies, filling and all, processed in food processor)
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Topping
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 oz semi sweet chocolate
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

Lightly grease bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan. Combine crust ingredients in small bowl. Press evenly over bottom of pan. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 10 minutes.

Combine Ricotta cheese, sugar, half-and-half, flour, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, pulsing processor until smooth.

Fold in the chocolate chips; pour over crust.

Bake in preheated 350°F oven 1 hour or until set. Remove from oven to wire rack but leave the oven on. Cool on rack for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, combine sour cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until well combined. Spread on top of cheesecake and return to oven for 12 minutes.

Cool on rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate 1 hour then remove from fridge.

Melt the chocolate and butter in microwave for one minute. Stir until smooth then spread over the top of the cheesecake. Refrigerate for at least four hours, overnight is best.

And let’s see if you really read my posts.. if you are wondering why I photographed the cheesecake off to the side it’s because I accidentally knocked my white board down on top of the cheesecake causing a big mess on one side. Ha!

Sargento did compensate me for the time I dedicated to making this recipe and putting this post together for you, however my opinions on flavor and preparation are 100% mine. :)

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

20 Responses to Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cheesecake

April says:

Ha! I love your full disclosure on your photography gaff! I assumed you were using some progressive photography method. Sometimes close-ups, showing only part of the subject is considered "ART!" I'm big on cheesecake too and have been afraid to try one with ricotta for fear of not liking it and wasting ingredients. Maybe I'll give it a try thanks to you!

Cookin' Canuck says:

This sounds so good, Amanda. What's a little crack in the top when you've got Oreos, chocolate chips and ricotta to make up for it?

I've never tried a cheesecake with ricotta either, but I always thought they still had cream cheese and just some ricotta.
    And yes, I read to the end, what I didn't realize was that you were only taking partial shots of the cheesecake. ;) The chocolate topping sounds really good!

Leslie says:

Ugggg. I hate when cheesecakes crack!!! This sounds divine!

Meaghan Luby says:

this is awesome :) nice save there with the pics! they all look beautiful and i wouldn't have noticed! thank you so so much for sharing! love this, love you, love your blog! ha. it's a party. i'll keep you updated if i make this!
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Lauren at Keep It Sweet says:

Oh wow, this looks decadent and delicious!

clauidia lamascolo says:

I had a feeling yours didn't crack because of cooling or overbeating… that was too deep! I love the way you recovered it here… I have used ricotta for years now with just lemon, this is going to be fabulous cant wait to try it!

Fallon says:

That sounds amazing… like a big cannoli!

Sue says:

WOW! It looks amazing!

My favorite cheesecake is ricotta cheesecake. I've made one several times and seem to always get cracks (maybe craters?)! Yours looks delicious Amanada!

Maria says:

Love this flavor!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says:

Amanda, this cheesecake is out of this world! What a great recipe and lovely photos. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad to have found your beautiful blog and can't wait to check out more of your recipes! :) – Georgia

I would love to try a cheesecake like this!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Hahha I hide flaws in the same way. This cheesecake looks interesting, I'm going to try it soon!

Delishhh says:

This is it! I love this stuff! I will take a ricotta cheesecake over regular anyday. Plus it just tastes a little more healthy. Very nice!

Justine says:

Another fantastic recipe!!

Mel says:

I love making cheesecake and Ricotta cheesecakes are delicious! This site helped me with making sure my cheesecake doesn’t crack. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Kristin says:

I just made this for a New Years’ Eve party and it looks delicious! Mine didn’t crack at all – it came out beautifully. The only alteration I made was cutting the recipe in half to fit a 7″ springform pan.