Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

The other day my daughter asked me to make muffins. Not just any muffins, mind you, but chocolate chocolate chip muffins. years ago I used to keep a homemade master mix on hand, a homemade Bisquick type concoction, for making muffins, pancakes, etc. Recently I’ve started making that mix again so this was a perfect time to develop a recipe using that mix and some instant chocolate oatmeal I’ve had in the cabinet.

I’ve adapted the instructions so that you can certainly use regular instant oatmeal in this recipe. I just happened to have this chocolate instant oatmeal on hand:

If you have old fashioned oats, you will want to grind them up in the food processor first as instant cooks a lot faster than old fashioned. if you want to sneak some healthy goodness in here, toss in a tablespoon of wheat germ! These muffins are great, but don’t let them sit out too long. Store them in a container if they won’t be eaten right away.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
2 cups Master Mix
3 tablespoons cocoa
scant 1/2 cup quick cooking oats or instant chocolate oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 400 F and spray bottoms only of a 6 cup jumbo muffin pan*. In large bowl, whisk together milk, brown sugar, oil and egg. Stir in master mix, cocoa, and oats just until moistened. Mix only until moistened, batter may be lumpy, do not over mix. Fold in 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips and divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup of chocolate chips on top of muffins.

Bake 8 minutes at 400 F, then reduce temperature to 350 F and bake an additional 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove to rack to cool completely.

The recipe for the Master Mix that I make is here. You can substitute your own homemade baking mix or use Bisquick.

* To convert this to a 12 cup muffin pan, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Did you enjoy this post? Why not subscribe to my feed, or better yet, to my free newsletter – Foodie in the Craftroom, which provides not only recipes but crafts from my other blog, Crafts by Amanda too!

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

23 Responses to Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Greatma says:

Love reading all your yummy recipes!! Love it when they're printable!!!
    Great that you share them with us!!! Antique Rose

The Food Hound says:

Um… chocolate oatmeal? I may retract my position on hating oatmeal till I try this! Sounds SO intriguing!! Muffins look amazing! Anything with chocolate in the name twice gets a prize in my book!

Marie says:

Those look really tasty Amanda, and what a great way of getting some nutritious oats into your kids! xxoo

Donna says:

I Just stopped by after seeing you on Tatertots & jello and when you said in your bio you love to cook, you SURE love to cook. Amazing, yummy looking goodies here. Sign me up!!!

Deeba PAB says:

Right YUM!! I think you should fly to India with a box of these… mmm!!

Thanks you guys, they turned out great! Hope you try them :)

Tasty Eats At Home says:

Amanda. These look AMAZING. Like, I want to lick my screen AMAZING.

Cookin' Canuck says:

I love the top photos, Amanda!

Maria says:

Great for breakfast or dessert!

marla says:

Of course your daughter asked you to make these muffins – they look amazing!

I'm all for chocolate chocolate chip muffins! This would be a breakfast I could get the teen to eat. That's a plus!!

Mary says:

These look incredibly delicious and have been bookmarked!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

Sue says:

These muffins are calling my name! I love how you placed some chocolate chips on top of each muffin before baking~YUM!

Melissa @IWasBornToCook says:

The more chocolate, the better, in my book!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

I love chocolate on chocolate muffins! These look gorgeous :)

Heather says:

These look amazing. We LOVE chocolate chocolate chip muffins. Thanks for sharing.
    I'm having a link party featuring muffins that can be made from food storage I would love it if you would link up.

Sonia **Sony** says:

Hi Amanda
    Chocolate Oatmeal? sound good!.. I have all materials to do cupcakes (muffins) including the mix box and unsweet chocolate chip bag and doing nothing, lol!
    My daughter love chocolate, i want to start to do cupcake some day, he he!!…
    Thanks for all your recipes.
    -Sony

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says:

I need to make these (or something similar! and post them on my blog! This would be so fitting:
    The Chocolate Muffin Tree!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman says:

Oh man, super duper chocolate muffins! Yummmm!

Justine says:

This is a fantastic recipe!!!! Check out my blog!

Although I’m really into homemade baking mix, I won’t deny that these are extremely luscious muffins!
    Claire

Suzanne says:

these look delish – I make mine with a chocolate cake mix, pumpkin and an egg (and chocolate chips of course) I will definite try yours!

[...] cut, bake at 450 F for 8-10 minutes. Use this mix for any recipe calling for Bisquick. Try my Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins using this master mix! Master Mix (Homemade Bisquick) 4 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour 2 [...]