Honey Pear Bread

Quick bread and muffins are one of my favorite things for breakfast. They make marvelous after school snacks, but seeing that it’s summer, these ended up being “all day” snacks. When I saw the original recipe on Alicia’s, I knew I wanted to try it, but I didn’t have everything on the ingredient list. I am trying really hard to stick to my grocery budget, and while I had pears on hand, I did not have molasses. So instead of running off to the store, I chose to substitute honey instead. I also left out the nuts, since my family are a bunch of nut-a-phobes.

This was a really good quick bread. It makes two loaves, so instead, I chose to make one loaf and 12 muffins. However, I was a complete ding dong and forgot to take the muffins out after 25 minutes, so I ended up burning those. UGH. I will definitely make this again, but I liked it my way, not even sure if I would use molasses next time!

Honey Pear Bread

2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 eggs
4 medium pears, peeled, cored and diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two loaf pans.

In a bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, canola oil, honey, and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in flour mixture. Fold in diced pears.

Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

33 Responses to Honey Pear Bread

Grumpy and HoneyB says:

Amanda, Grumpy would LOVE this. He loves pears!

jose manuel says:

Realmente delicioso esto que nos has presentado. Saludos

Chow and Chatter says:

looks great and anything honey is cool sorry about the muffins

megi says:

The honey pear bread looks really yummy! I'll definitely try it. Thank you…

Pat says:

Any hints on how to keep the fruit pieces from sinking to the bottom? I've tried tossing in flour and layering keeping most of the fruit on top. HELP!!!
    Thanks, this looks like something my entire family would love.

Hi Pat! Actually, I had no problems with the fruit sinking and I didn't do anything special. I DID use barely ripe pears, the kind that are still hard and you need to throw in a paper bag for a few days before you can eat them. Because they were still hard, they were very easy to dice. Also, i think another reason they didn't sink was because of the consistency of this batter. It's rather thick and somewhat sticky from the honey. Hope that helps!

marla {family fresh cooking} says:

This honey pear bread sounds great…perfect for Summer & Fall too. I love quick breads with all the spices you use here. xo

Lila says:

I love spiced breads and cakes. They always leave my home smelling delicious and ALWAYS taste wonderful! The pears and apples are a great combo!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

Sue Sparks says:

All the spices, and the pears…sounds so delicious! This would be great for fall too! Looks beautiful!

Mags says:

We're nut-a-phobes here too (well, in breads and cookies anyway)

The bread looks so moist and delicious.

nancycreative says:

Honey and pears sound like a great combination–yum!

Kristen says:

What a unique bread! I love honey. I love pears. I love bread. Sounds like I need to make this soon!

2 cups of brown sugar and a cup of oil; not very healthy!

"2 cups of brown sugar and a cup of oil; not very healthy!"

No it probably isn't – but I don't believe i ever claimed it was. ;)

Carolyn says:

This bread sounds so good. I have to try it very soon. I will try to make it back to let you know how it turns out. Thanks for this great recipe. Carolyn

andrea says:

I have a pear tree and am also a quick bread fanatic so I am excited to try this! I usually add one cup of whole wheat and three tablespoons of flax… plus less sugar so I can add a little honey drizzle on top. I will let you know how it come out for sure!

Thanks Carolyn and Andrea!

Cherish says:

I was looking for a way to use pears last night and searched until I found a good pear bread recipe. I had to adapt it a little since I was shy on spices but the fam liked it anyway. Thanks for sharing!

So glad it worked out for your Cherish, thanks so much!

Amber @ Paint Chips and Frying Pans says:

Great recipe! We adjusted it slightly to fit what we had on hand and our personal tastes and loved it. I posted it on my blog and linked back to you. Thanks a bunch!

Amber

Glad you enjoyed it Amber!

SophieLuck says:

Made this this evening (cut recipe in 1/2 to make only one loaf). Only real change I made was that i used some freshly grated ginger since i had it on hand rather than ginger spice. my results – the flavor is FANTASTIC – loved the combo and that i had everything to make it on hand (including pears, which is how i found this recipe).

However, because of the length of time mine took to bake (about 65 minutes) and still came out on the wet side (i'm sticking it back in the oven for a bit on a lower temp) – i'm wondering if you recommend using an electric mixer to combine the oil/brown sugar/eggs, etc. rather than simply mixing it (by hand/spoon) as i had interpreted the directions????

thanks! it's a keeper, just got to make a little adjustment somewhere in my technique i think….

SophieLuck says:

ps. it may very well be the oven in the rental apartment too ….

Hi Sophie, so glad you liked it, but sorry about it not being done in the middle :-/ I did use a mixer, but I don't think that's it. The most likely culprit is the oven temperature. If you have an oven thermometer, test the temp and see if it's preheating properly. If it's an older oven, sometimes they can lose a lot of heat when you open the door and can't quite get back up there. You might want to try preheating the oven 50 degrees higher, putting your recipe in the oven, then turning it down to the correct temp once it's in. Then don't open the door if you can avoid it. :)

Do you have any recipes that use pear butter in them? I've tried to find some on line, but I'm not having any luck. Thanks for the help.

[...] More from me you might like:Cantaloupe Cream PieMorning Glory Zucchini BreadCinnamon Chip Banana MuffinsHoney Pear Bread [...]

[...] RECIPE Adapted from Amanda’s Cookin’; makes two loaves, or 24 muffins (or one loaf and 12 muffins, which I [...]

[...] from me you might like:Cantaloupe Quick BreadCinnamon Chip Banana Muffins and LoavesHoney Pear BreadVanilla Zucchini [...]

Sharon L says:

I am always looking for recipes using pears. I have 2 pear trees.

Shelley says:

Thanks for the great recipe. We loved it, especially all the spices. I cut the sugar to 1 cup, subbed 1/2 cup of oil for applesauce and 2 cups of flour for white whole wheat flour. Delicious. I hate fruit breads that have hardly any fruit in them, but definitely can’t say that about this one.

[…] Honey Pear Bread Granola Made with Honey Need a snack for the kids to take with them to Shul or something to satisfy them before you walk out the door check out this Healthy Granola recipes using Honey! Make a batch and send it along for everyone at day care or serve it as an appetizer for when people arrive at your house before the meal is ready. […]