Try my Sausage, Penne, and Peas too!
- 8 oz penne pasta I used almost double
- 12 oz bulk pork sausage I used a pound
- 1/2 cup minced shallots I used the shallots I had left and used green onions for the rest
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 14- oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried sage I only had ground sage, so I used about half
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook the penne according to package directions.
- Add the sausage, shallots, and garlic to a large saute pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring to crumble the sausage, for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Because my sausage is not from the store, but rather the farmer, it’s not as lean as most. So while there’s no step in the written recipe to drain off the fat, I had to do that.
- Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, sage, and red pepper flakes. When the liquid comes to a boil, cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- When the penne is done, drain well, and return to the pasta pan.
- Add the tomato sauce and cream (I dumped it into the pan with the tomato and sausage mixture, stirred it up then added the cream).
- Stir over low heat for one minute or until warm.
- Garnish the servings with Parmesan cheese.
NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit https://amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html