Blackberry Pie Squares

Blackberries, or any berries for that matter, are in season right now. However, this phenomenal treat can be made any time of the year because it calls for pie filling, rather than fresh picked berries. The beauty of this is that you can use your own homemade pie filling from the blackberries you picked or purchased in the summer, or simply grab a can off your grocer’s shelf and put this together.

This can easily be served as a dessert or a breakfast danish. It’s really easy to put together, does not require a pastry crust, and whips together like a cake batter or cookie dough. The glaze will seem a bit tart to you if you taste it before combining it with the squares, so don’t be concerned, and certainly don’t add anymore sugar! The tartness of the glaze pairs beautifully with the sweetness of these squares and you’ll be disappointed if you substitute anything for the lemon juice. Trust me on this. :)

I made this on Friday and took it to our camper. I gave a few squares to our camping neighbors, who raved about it, and we devoured more than half the pan ourselves. Everyone in the family enjoyed this one! I brought it home and shared the other half of the pan with some more neighbors.

I’m certain you could substitute any pie filling you like, so use whatever your favorite is. The cherry tree down the street is about ready for me to start harvesting, so I WILL be making this again with some homemade sour cherry pie filling. Mmmm! I hope to add to my arsenal of sour cherry recipes soon!

Blackberry Pie Squares

1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
4 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
21 ounces blackberry pie filling

GLAZE
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream sugar and butter in mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat well. Whisk together flour and baking powder. Turn mixer speed down to lowest setting and slowly add flour mixture until completely combined.

Spread half of mixture (I actually weight mine to get even halves, cuz I’m obsessive that way) onto an ungreased 15×10 jelly roll pan. Spread pie filling over the top of the batter. Drop remaining batter onto the pie filling layer by spoonfuls.

Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Do not under bake. Remove to a wire rack.

Combine powdered sugar, melted margarine and lemon juice and drizzle over warm bars.

Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.

More you might like:
Fresh Raspberry Lemonade
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Raspberry Coffee Cake
Cherry Almond Cake

From other great blogs:
Blackberry Lime Muffins – from Two Peas and Their Pod
Blueberry Scones – from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Cherry Crumble Cake – from The English Kitchen
Sour Cherry Slab Pie – from Smitten Kitchen

36 Responses to Blackberry Pie Squares

Lo says:

This would be AWESOME thrown together with homemade pie filling. I'm totally drooling, and I just had lunch!

Marie says:

Oh Amanda, that looks positively scrummy!! I am going to check the shops next time I am in them to see if they have any Blackberry Pie filling. If not, I'll just have to make my own. Looks fabulous!! xxoo

jose manuel says:

Se ve maravilloso este pastel, increible de sabor tiene que estar. Un saludo

Tia says:

looks great! is this portable? like for a picnic, no knife/fork?

Tia – I took it in the pan to my camper, I had knives there and cut it into squares, but you could cut it before you leave. And yes, I ate it without a fork! :)

I was just down the street drooling at my neighbor's cherry tree. I think I'll harvest some tomorrow!

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog says:

What a beautiful square creations :) I'm a berry man so delicious!

Cheers,

Gera

Kelly Polizzi says:

Oh my GOODNESS. This looks SO GOOD. I need to stay away from your blog while I'm on a diet I think! lol just kidding. It's sometimes satifying enough just looking at pictures isnt it? Seriously, this looks delish.

Looks like perfect camping food to me. But I cant believe you brought back half the pan. You have a large family and I know my little family would be polishing that off! I guess were just piggy. ;)

Cherry would be our favorite. Don't forget to pit the cherries first! ;) hehe, couldn't resist.

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood says:

Simply splendid, Amanda! I've gone totally overboard on buying summer fruits this week and have a pint of blackberries with this recipe's name written all over it. Just perfect, and beautiful photos too.

Heather Davis says:

Amanda – you certainly make it hard for a girl to stick to any kind of diet! That looks so good I am drooling. I am off camping this weekend and might just be taking this along.

Von says:

Wow! This sounds and looks so good! I might have to try this one day….=]

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Wow, Amanda, this looks fabulous! And easy, too. Great for a busy summer time schedule.

Chocolate Shavings says:

These look delicious, with the perfect amount of filling!

Maria says:

Great summer treat. I will make these soon!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

These look awesome!!! I love blackberry and anytime pie can be made into bar form I'm all over it!

This has my family written ALL over it! They are serious fruit dessert lovers and it has me reeled in as it seems much easier than a pie! :)

btw, it just hit me….this is perfect to bring for the 4th of July block party we're going too!!

Anu says:

this looks wonderful! do you have a recipe for making the homemade pie filling?

This looks delicious Amanda. I am deinitely trying this one soon! Thanks!

pegasuslegend says:

looks simply delicious~

OK Chick says:

Amazing!

Angie says:

I love this recipe, I have been browsing for a blackberry recipe, I thought I'd do some sort of tart, but your changing my mind, delish!

5 Star Foodie says:

Scrumptious dessert with blackberries! I love the yummy glaze on top!

Mary says:

What a great treat. This is my first visit to your blog so I've spent some time reading through your earlier posts. I love the food you make and will be back often to see what else you've been making. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

This looks fabulous! I'm bookmarking it to try it sometime soon!

Emily says:

Yum, blackberries are my favorite! I've seen tons of blackberry bushes around my neighborhood so I'm going to be doing a lot of picking when they ripen. I'll definitely be trying this.

Tami says:

Oh, Amanda, this looks to die for! I'm definitely printing this out and trying it. Thanks for mentioning it to me!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Oh this looks fantastic, Amanda!

Amy says:

That looks delish! I am gonna have to try that with some blueberries

[...] I’m making on the 4th: Blackberry Pie Squares Fresh Raspberry Lemonade Watermelon Cookies Sour Cherry Almond Cake Garlic Marinated Chicken [...]

[...] will be sharing with you my cherry version of the blackberry pie squares that were such a big hit around here. That post will come in the next day or so, stay tuned! [...]

judy says:

I JUST SAW YOUR SITE FOR THE FIRST TIME . I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE OF YOUR RECIPES THANKS

[...] Blackberry Pie Squares (make these ahead and take with [...]

[...] I plan to pick some more and make some pie filling to can along with the sour cherries I picked yesterday. I think mulberry pie filling would be awesome in this recipe for blackberry pie squares! [...]

[…] Blackberry Pie Squares from Amanda’s Cookin’ […]