Stuffed zucchini boats are a savory and delicious dinner packed with lean protein and a healthy serving of vegetables. Stuffed zucchini = low-carb dinner!
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 people
- 4 medium zucchinis ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, pulp removed (save pulp for the mixture)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey you can substitute the same amount lean ground beef, chicken, pork or sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 cups chopped onion yellow or Vidalia (sweet) onion
- 1 red bell pepper washed, top removed, seeded, membranes removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper washed, top removed, seeded, membranes removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cheese blend mix
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (in the stuffing)
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil add the chopped onion. Cook onion until almost translucent.
Add the lean ground turkey, zucchini pulp, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Stir occasionally and cook until browned (about 3-5 minutes). Add the chopped green and red bell pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 the shredded cheese.
Spoon the mixture evenly into the halved zucchinis. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake (uncovered) at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Allow it to cool for a few minutes then sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Serving: 1whole zucchini, 2 boats | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 919mg | Potassium: 1132mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 42% | Vitamin C: 129.4% | Calcium: 26% | Iron: 13.7%