Dutch Oven Goulash
This warm and hearty meal of beef, potatoes, carrots and a savory gravy is pure comfort food.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes (or stew meat)
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic about two cloves
- 14 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces baby carrots about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 pound quartered baby Yukon Gold potatoes about 3 cups
- 4 ounces chopped sweet peppers about 1 cup
Combine paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram, Kosher salt, black pepper and flour in a large plastic zipper bag. Place cubed meat into the bag and close, then shake to coat.
In Dutch oven over medium heat sauté chopped onion in olive oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
Add entire contents of meat shaking bag to the onion mixture in the pan. Cook, turning occasionally until meat is browned well.
Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and canned tomatoes (including its juices) and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for one hour.
Add the baby carrots and potatoes and stir. Cover and cook on low for one hour.
Add chopped sweet peppers and stir. Cover and cook another 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are fork tender.
Serve this goulash with one of these delicious ideas
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 463cal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1827mg | Potassium: 1432mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 8183IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 9mg