I am a breakfast person. Some people, like my husband, just aren’t. Sure, I have my coffee first, but once I have two cups in me, I’m ready for some eggs. In fact, it’s not unusual for me to have some form of eggs every morning, so I’m always on the lookout for new recipes. Some things I love to add include bell peppers, mushrooms and onions, and now I can add roasted sweet garlic to that list.
I found a recipe for a baked mozzarella omelet on Sargento’s website (link no longer available) that looked perfect for me. However, their recipe serves several people and I just wanted enough for me. So I cut all the ingredients back, dividing everything by four.
I went ahead and used mozzarella cheese which was wonderful, next time I’ll experiment with some smoked Gouda or a white cheddar.
This was absolutely perfect for one person.
If you’d like to try it full size, use a full head of garlic and multiply everything by four, using a full size (9-10″) cast iron skillet.
With a few minutes of prep you’ll be on your way to a delicious omelet for one!
Sweet Garlic, Mushroom and Mozzarella Omelet for OnePrint
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 oz. mushrooms use cremini, shiitake, or any other favorite
- 2 eggs beaten with 1/2 teaspoon water
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup 1 oz. Sargento® Shredded Reduced Sodium Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the ends off of the garlic. Drizzle with about 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and wrap the garlic in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven 30 minutes, or until the garlic is sweet and tender. Remove from the oven; allow to cool, then gently squeeze garlic from individual cloves. Set aside.
- Cut mushrooms into bite-size pieces; toss with about 1/4 tsp. oil and place on cookie sheet. Roast in oven 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Beat eggs and water, and season with a few grinds of pepper. Add chives and stir.
- In small cast iron skillet (4-5"), heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add eggs, and stir until the eggs just start to form. Sprinkle with garlic, mushrooms and cheese; place in oven and bake until firm, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Loosen the bottom and edges and slide onto a plate. Garnish with chopped chives if desired.
Saturated Fat 6.5 g, Cholesterol 386.4 mg, Sodium 277.0 mg, Potassium 404.7 mg, Carbohydrate 7.7 g, Fiber 1.0 g, Sugars 1.2 g, Protein 22.0 g
Sargento did compensate me for the time I dedicated to making this recipe and putting this post together for you, however my opinions on flavor and preparation are 100% mine. :)