When I first came across this recipe for mini taco bowls I had planned to have it during a small family get together. I had plenty of other food planned, so the fact that these miniature tortilla bowls filled with taco goodness didn’t get served that day was okay. They require a short stay in the oven and luck would have it, there was a power outage that day.
Luckily we were cooking on the grill. Not so lucky was it turned out to be the hottest day of the year. So hot grill. Hottest day. No electricity = no air conditioning. Needless to say the party never really got started and we ended up sitting around trying not to generate any extra, unwanted body heat.
So another day came around and we needed something for dinner. I remembered these little taco bowls and thought I’d give them a whirl. I used 8-inch tortillas and a jumbo muffin pan. I also used my homemade taco seasoning, some shredded cheese and lettuce, and some grape tomatoes I had left in the fridge. I also used my homemade salsa from canned tomatoes.
These were definitely a hit and the ‘bowls’ had just the right amount of crunch, but still chewy enough to eat. Totally yummy. A must add to your list of ground beef dinner ideas.
adapted from Kraft Recipes
Mini Taco BowlsPrint
- 8 flour tortillas 6 inch
- 1 lb. taco meat using ground beef and taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- lettuce shredded
- grape tomatoes halved
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare taco meat by browning one pound of ground beef, draining and adding taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil and let simmer while preparing the rest.
- Soften the tortillas in the microwave, 30 seconds. Line each of 8 muffin cups with 1 tortilla. Carefully fold back edges of tortillas, leaving opening in centers for filling. Bake 10 minutes.
- Add salsa to the taco meat and spoon mixture into tortilla bowls; top with cheese, lettuce and tomato.