I made chocolate mousse today, or rather Mousse au Chocolat, courtesy of Annie’s Recipes. This will be an entry in the Cooking With Alicia & Annie blog event for February. I thought it fitting with Valentine’s Day in a couple of days, the more chocolate the better! This mousse is fabulous and has a really nice coffee flavor to it.
Mousse au Chocolat (chocolate mousse)
- 1 6- oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- whipped cream optional
- In medium saucepan (or you can use a double boiler), combine chocolate chips, coffee, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir constantly over low heat, until chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat. using a wooden spoon, beat until smooth then let cool slightly.
- Add the vanilla.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites just until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
- Add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- With rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold chocolate mixture into egg white mixture until combined well.
- Spoon into six serving dishes and refrigerate until well chilled, about an hour, or until serving time. Garnish with whipped cream.
NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit https://amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html