I had some leftover rice in the refrigerator and some Chorizo sausage in the freezer. If your family is like mine, they are often afraid to try new things. So in order to get them to try Chorizo, I chose to use it in a more familiar fashion: tacos. This family adores tacos, so the likelihood of them giving this dish a chance was much higher than just slapping them on the grill. It was worth it, this dish was a hit!
You can use whatever Chorizo sausage you prefer, I developed this recipe using Johnsonville Chorizo and it was fabulous. I removed the sausage from its casings and crumbled it first. This is a really easy meal and takes very little time to prepare.
Not a bad way to introduce Chorizo to a reluctant family. :)
Chorizo & Rice Soft TacosPrint Rate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz Chorizo sausage crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in skillet. Saute garlic for 30 seconds then add the sausage and cook until browned.
- Add roasted red bell peppers, stir, add peas, stir. Cook for a minute or two then add the cilantro and the chicken broth. Simmer for 5 minutes then mix in the cooked white rice. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle hot dish with shredded cheese and let sit for a few minutes for cheese to melt.
- Serve with flour tortillas.