I’m always looking for great recipes using ground beef. We usually order a quarter or side of beef, so much of that is turned into ground meat. While we love hamburgers, tacos, and chili, there’s only so many times you want to serve that each month, so new ground beef recipes are always welcome in my kitchen. Finding one that everyone likes is another story though.
When I first saw this recipe over at my friend Mags’ blog, The Other Side of Fifty, I knew I wanted to try it. It just really looked good and I loved everything on the ingredient list. Getting my family to try new things can sometimes be like pulling teeth, so I knew I was in for the “what’s that” type questions. I try to be very generic in my answers, the less details the better. So I called this “southwest casserole” which is quite generic and doesn’t reveal anything in the ingredient agenda.
The reviews from the fam were marvelous! However, I used a quick cooking pasta, which I don’t recommend. Use regular pasta as indicated in the recipe. The quick cooking type cooks too long in this dish and tends to get a bit mushy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced orange bell pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Magic Dust seasoning or Montreal Steak seasoning
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1- 10 oz can of Red Gold Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 ounces shredded Mexican 4 Cheese blend
- 1½ cups dried macaroni style pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 cup shredded Mexican 4 Cheese blend
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a two-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In large skillet brown ground beef with onions, bell pepper and red pepper flakes. Season with Magic Dust or steak seasoning.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano and chili powder. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the frozen corn and simmer for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the 2 ounces of cheese until melted. Gently stir in the cooked pasta. Pour all into prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly. Garnish with green onions if desired.