I’m always up for trying different cookie recipes. Oatmeal adds a nice chew to cookies that nothing else seems to accomplish. We love the heck out of peanut butter, and chocolate chips are right up there too, so when I came across this peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe it sounded like a good one to try!
As you may already know, I have another blog called The Secret Recipe Club. When I started the concept I didn’t want anyone to get left out in the cold. It’s bound to happen with 300+ members and 4 different groups. This past Monday was no exception. A family medical emergency left one of the SRC bloggers orphaned for the month. A volunteer was found, but due to (literally) a technical difficulty, that volunteer ended up making something from a different blog all together! Totally not her fault. So when I found all this out, I asked who was orphaned.
I found out that it was Chellie’s blog, Art From My Table that was missed. I felt doubly bad because this was Chellie’s first month in the Secret Recipe Club and I didn’t want her to be disappointed. I started browsing through her dessert recipes and it didn’t take me long to find something. I made these cookies this morning, but I also baked something else too that I will share later this week!
Chellie’s post on these cookies was short and sweet. Just the recipe. She probably put it on the blog to save it for a later date. I’m glad she did! The dough is easy to make and it makes quite a few chewy cookies.
The only changes I made was the up the vanilla (cuz everything’s better with more vanilla) and I ran my old fashioned oatmeal through my mini food processor before mixing it with the dry ingredients. Some people prefer the chunks of oats in their cookies. I’m not one of them. ;-) I also used a mixture of chocolate chips I had leftover from other recipes (milk chocolate, semi sweet, and dark).
Incidentally, Chellie’s recipe says it makes 16 cookies, so I’m guessing she made much larger cookies than I did. Mine made over 40 cookies.
Thanks Chellie for the great recipe, and I hope you’ll still love playing along with us each month via The Secret Recipe Club!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup rolled oats, run through food processor
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used a mixture of semisweet, milk and dark)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and ground oatmeal; set aside.
- With mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat to combine. On low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 -12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden.