Chocolate. Cookies. Marshmallows. More chocolate. Need I say more??
I’ve seem these cookies on several blogs over the past several months, but the first one I saw them on was my friend Megan’s. It’s funny about Megan. I remember the first comment she left on my blog. I don’t remember what post, I just remember her saying she liked the name of my blog. I clicked over to hers and low and behold, it’s called Megan’s Cookin’. Hee hee! So today, Megan’s Cookin’ is melding with Amanda’s Cookin’ to bring you these satisfy-your-chocolate-craving Mississippi Mud Cookies. By the way, I find myself spelling out Mississippi in my head whenever I type that. In fact, I don’t think I can type that word without spelling it out just like we did in elementary school! (yeah yeah, who cares Amanda, move on…)
Normally I am a couple of weeks behind in posting what I make. I have a folder full of pictures and the recipes lie in wait for me to post them. But not today. No I made these bad boys today due to an overwhelming craving for gooey chocolate. I hit my “cookie” labeled bookmark folder and there it was, waiting for me in all of its ooey-gooey chocolatey-ness. :) I just had to share them with you right away!
I didn’t change much, other than eliminating the nuts, and instead of using milk chocolate chips, I just used the rest of the bag of semi sweet chocolate chips. My recipe is adapted a little, you can grab the original from Megan’s blog if you prefer nuts.
Oh and by the way, if you have a third of a bag of miniature marshmallows sitting in your kitchen cabinet all stuck together and getting stale (like I did) then never fear, they’ll work great in this! ;)
- 1 12-oz bag semisweet chocolate chips, separated
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. miniature marshmallows
- Microwave ONE CUP of the semisweet chocolate morsels in a small microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Gently beat in vanilla, then the melted chocolate.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; whisking together in a small bowl. Gradually add to flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, beating until well blended.
- Stir in remaining semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls (my cookie scoop worked perfectly) onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press 3 marshmallows into each portion of dough.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes (10 minutes was perfect for mine) or until set. Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes to allow them to rest and deflate a bit, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.