Grilled cheese sandwiches are a favorite in this house. My mother in law is visiting so I asked her if she would be my guinea pig while I tried a new recipe out on her. She happily agreed while I pulled the jar of roasted red bell peppers from the fridge. This sandwich has a short list of ingredients but big on satisfaction!
“Mmmm. This is really good. I’ll never eat another regular grill cheese again!” That’s what my mother in law kept saying while she ate this tasty sandwich. I have to agree with her. I love roasted red bell peppers, so when I saw those in the list of ingredients I knew I wanted to give this a whirl. Using Mozzarella cheese slices instead of American cheese means the sandwich is far less salty. My favorite part is that instead of using butter on the bread you use Italian dressing! Yes. Salad dressing. Brilliant. Why didn’t I think of that?
My husband is obsessed with these huge round loaves of sliced Italian bread that we get from our local grocer. One slice is huge, so I cut it in half to make the sandwich you see here. You can use smaller pieces so that your cheese hangs out the sides of the sandwich all sexy like. ;-)
That short ingredient list I was telling you about consists of bread, Mozzarella cheese, roast red bell peppers and Italian dressing.
This Italian grilled cheese is super easy and really tasty. Will definitely be making this again and again.
- 2 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 slices Italian or sourdough bread
- ⅓ cup roasted red peppers, rinsed and dried
- 1 Tbsp. Italian salad dressing
- Place slice of cheese on slice of bread; top with red peppers. Place remaining cheese on top; close with slice of bread. Brush dressing over outside surfaces of bread.
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook sandwich 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Sargento did compensate me for the time I dedicated to making this recipe and putting this post together for you, however my opinions on flavor and preparation are 100% mine. :)